What did Chivalry do properly?

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I just don't get it</div>Week in and week out, I've seen Chivalry in the top 20 top sellers on steam, even without a sale on at some times. The thing I want to know is, why are people buying it? I really don't understand.

It isn't a novel idea by any standards. It seems to basically be a carbon copy of many existing games, such as PvK source. It looks kind of fun, but no more fun than the existing free to play options. So why is it so popular? Is it due to youtubers? Seems like a lot of them like it.

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
    It actually runs well
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054109:date=Jan 1 2013, 01:38 PM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Jan 1 2013, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It actually runs well<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Games like PVK run fine.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    2012 was the year of the indie/Kickstarter- everyone went nuts for anything made on the cheap!

I think people still love the idea of backing the little guy. The only indie game I took an interest in/bought was Mark of the Ninja.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    edited January 2013
    It looks okay, but what's keeping me from it is PvK which is actually a lot more fun from what I can tell. The only indie game I really am in love with at this point is NS2.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2, Chivalry, FTL, Mark of the Ninja, Hotline Miami, Day Z and Sine Mora to me has a value for money combined which won't be beaten in many years.
    What a year 2012 became for indies on kickstarter thru the public. And for years to come. Justice.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    People don't know about mods like PvK because they aren't on the Steam store home page.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Mostly because I got tired of explosive barrel zergs. I just recently fired up Chivalry and It's great fun with the limb cutting, siege weapons and angle dependent blocking. Real shame about the unlocking system though.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    explosive keg is the best part of PvK thou...
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    Well if you ask me, NS2 and Chivalry are both the best MP games of the year.

The combat mechanics in Chivalry are simple, yet skill-based. Even though you still got a lot of dumb-dumbs going around swing spamming in melees, hurting only enemy dumb-dumb colleagues and their own teamates.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Bwuhaha, I remember suicide bombing with explosive barrels. Everyone hated me a lot.