Turtle strategies?

LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
In regular RTS's players have the ability to focus on defense by walling up and max producing workers to collect resources in order to pump out a sustancial amount of units in the early game at the cost of being behind if the player doesn't do much with the army they produced.

For this game that is thrown out the window in favor of more of a "hey which ability do you want to kill people with?" mentality. Because basically from my limited experience with the game, vets correct me if I'm wrong. The more nodes you have then you have a significant advantage if the players don't waste their personal resources.

So I am curious, do you want to see turtle strategies. I'm not talking about the "last stand" thing. If yes, then how would you put it into the game while keeping it balanced. It seems for turtles to be turtles, there needs to be some type of summon-able unit to work with the nodes.

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    There were turtle strategies for Marines in NS1 but they only worked because of RFK and the HMG.

Summon-able units are a big no no.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    It is kiiiiiiind of possible to turtle, but not in the traditional sense of the word.

You want to sit in a single room, killing anything that enters, while just camping a corner and never moving? No, never going to happen. Thank god as well, because that would be a thoroughly unenjoyable experience for both teams involved.

On the other hand, it isn't completely truly that you need to maximise your territory in order to stay relevant and in a position to compete with the other team. Ultimately what you can do is attempt to minimise your setup costs as much as possible (turrets, additional phase gates, armouries, observatories, etc) while attempting to maximise the number of nodes you can keep protected. Combine these two and you will find a nice peak, one that is particularly high in maps with double res node rooms.

For example. If you are playing veil and you have only two outposts: marine start and nanogrid, and you invest absolutely no resources into holding any other location on the map, then you can potentially have a chance of suddenly exploding out with tech at around the 8 minute mark. However, you would need pretty skilled marines to then utlize that tech and retake most of the map which you lost in the process. And if your marines are that good, you would probably be better off just taking the map in the first place.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054071:date=Jan 1 2013, 05:50 PM:name=Lingos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lingos @ Jan 1 2013, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In regular RTS's players have the ability to focus on defense by walling up and max producing workers to collect resources in order to pump out a sustancial amount of units in the early game at the cost of being behind if the player doesn't do much with the army they produced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Either you are misunderstanding how RTS works or I am mis-reading you but what I think you mean is this:
    RTS players have the choice to cripple their late game economy for an 'all-in' in the early game.

There is no competitive RTS that I know of, where a player can turtle up on one base and focus on workers for a time before switching to army based play. I think you mean they sacrifice their eco for the sole purpose of hitting a timing attack before a greedy opponent is ready.

If that is what you mean then it is already in the game. Marines can JP/SG rush, they can quick w1 rush. They can even GL rush if they really want to, or ARC rush. Aliens can shade hive to get a strong early-game advantage, they can use their comm to drop higher lifeforms earlier etc.

<!--quoteo(post=2054071:date=Jan 1 2013, 05:50 PM:name=Lingos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lingos @ Jan 1 2013, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The more nodes you have then you have a significant advantage if the players don't waste their personal resources.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is true, but how do you think it would work out if an Alien comm went 5 RT's before any upgrades and the Marine team went a quick +1 weapons or shotgun hive rush?

<!--quoteo(post=2054071:date=Jan 1 2013, 05:50 PM:name=Lingos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lingos @ Jan 1 2013, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I am curious, do you want to see turtle strategies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The whole concept of turtle strategies in RTS are based around hitting strong timings, or getting a small chunk of map control and basically making your opponent waste all their res trying to break your walls down. You actually see this to an extent in PUB games, when Aliens hit that ~15 minute timing where a few people can get Oni and either break a section of the map open, or die. Followed usually by a Marine victory. Which to me you can already see in the game.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    Turtling never really works out all too well in any RTS game. Sure you can create quite the defense, but you'll eventually starve yourself of resources while your opponent just keeps building more and more. Mitigated somewhat by NS2's infinite res system, but being behind in res by a minimum of 2x is never a good thing...

Trying to theorycraft some possible way Marines can effectively turtle (Aliens can't so not even going to bother) and it all boils down to resource harrassment. It's pretty much mandatory in this game to cause economic damage to your opponent and is the antithesis of the turtle-style of play. I suppose its possible to do a timing attack with early tech like shotguns or advanced armory, but that's more of a rush or all-in maneuver.

...drawing a blank here.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    A tech point turtle is the counter strat to camo, instead of going for res nodes like a normal game you focus on a slower res feed but secure much need tech points.
    The only issue is most marines are slow to adapt to this and waste valuable time early game trying to cap res like normal.