Why is there no option to completely disable infestation?

Comments

• AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Also, it makes more sense when after a power node is killed the emergency lights go on. Then, after 30 seconds, the lights go out (or however long it takes for the e-lights to come on).
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    What if i tell you that removing powernodes would help focus hundreds of alien players on attacking stuff that is actually always worth attacking?

Attacking powernodes can be useful - true, but <u>very</u> situational... and for some reason i see a lot of alien players focusing on powernodes in <u>every</u> situation. (also telling and explaining doesnt change their minds most of the time - if they even respond)

I dont find the argument "because you can win against sleeping marine commanders/teams" too great. (or because of the bug were the game just doesnt alert that a structure is under attack)

If we increase building and maybe welding times on a few structures (like phasegates) i only see positive results from removing them. (especially for ns2 beginners)
    <!--quoteo(post=2054234:date=Jan 1 2013, 10:03 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 1 2013, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if i tell you that removing powernodes would help focus hundreds of alien players on attacking stuff that is actually always worth attacking?

Attacking powernodes can be useful - true, but <u>very</u> situational... and for some reason i see a lot of alien players focusing on powernodes in <u>every</u> situation. (also telling and explaining doesnt change their minds most of the time - if they even respond)

I dont find the argument "because you can win against sleeping marine commanders/teams" too great. (or because of the bug were the game just doesnt alert that a structure is under attack)

If we increase building and maybe welding times on a few structures (like phasegates) i only see positive results from removing them. (especially for ns2 beginners)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't recall the number of times I've had to tell people (in some cases yell and in a few of those resort to obscenities) to kill the RT and not the power node.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    But in a marine base, the resource tower isn't the ideal target. The comm chair isn't always either. Sometimes its the IPs, sometimes it definitely isn't. The best target can even sometimes be an advanced armoury, or a prototype lab. By removing the power node, you do not remove this problem.

If you truly want to follow this road, using that reasoning, then you will need to follow it to the end, removing every structure that could possibly confuse a new player as to what they should attack.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    infestation should be linked to powernodes...
  • The_Flying_FishThe_Flying_Fish Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054193:date=Jan 2 2013, 03:19 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 2 2013, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Remove Infestation/Cyst game-mechanic</b>, and make it appear around alien structures/territory automatically. (so its basically only eyecandy, with option to completely disable it for a little better performance in the options)

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Vote: <a href="http://goo.gl/mod/oZNx" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/mod/oZNx</a><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b>Remove Powernode game-mechanic</b>, think of different ways to implement lit and unlit areas. (eg areas with alien structures are naturally dimmed, light flicker on attacking marine structures, chamber abilites to power down lights for a short duration)

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Vote: <a href="http://goo.gl/mod/47FG" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/mod/47FG</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Feel free to make better suggestions in google moderator comments.

EDIT:

<u>Please post a comment in google moderator, if you disagree... (why?)</u>
    So we can either find a solution to the reason why you have to disagree or at least have a interesting discussion to give ppl something more to consider before voting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://goo.gl/mod/NDkk" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/mod/NDkk</a>
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054238:date=Jan 1 2013, 01:13 PM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Jan 1 2013, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't recall the number of times I've had to tell people (in some cases yell and in a few of those resort to obscenities) to kill the RT and not the power node.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you kill both it takes the marines that much longer to get resources from there if they rebuild.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054441:date=Jan 2 2013, 02:39 AM:name=Res)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Res @ Jan 2 2013, 02:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you kill both it takes the marines that much longer to get resources from there if they rebuild.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2054414:date=Jan 2 2013, 01:33 AM:name=Res)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Res @ Jan 2 2013, 01:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the marine commander or marines are smart, they won't let the powernode go down. I've seen a commander put <b>arms labs blocking the powernode</b> so it couldnt' be destroyed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your opinion is no longer valid.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054503:date=Jan 1 2013, 11:52 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Jan 1 2013, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your opinion is no longer valid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lets talk about valid........ I'm sure every marine comm is going to block the powernode at every location in a map......... right?
    <!--quoteo(post=2054441:date=Jan 1 2013, 06:39 PM:name=Res)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Res @ Jan 1 2013, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you kill both it takes the marines that much longer to get resources from there if they rebuild.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, but the RT should go down first. And sometimes it makes sense to kill the power node for the delay, but almost always its better to run off and kill something else.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    Theres only 1 way that devs would remove infestation and powernodes (2 features they have spent a huge amount of time on) and that is if someone made a mod that removes them from the game, which then becomes really popular and the devs find that hardly anyone is playing their version of the game.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054558:date=Jan 2 2013, 08:21 AM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Jan 2 2013, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, but the RT should go down first. And sometimes it makes sense to kill the power node for the delay, but almost always its better to run off and kill something else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I use the following simple rule:
    Are the marines likely to return to this location within the next 20 seconds?
    YES
    ----Is this location within a room or two from a fortified marine position?
    ----YES -> Extractor
    ----NO
    --------Do the marines want to establish a fortified position in this room?
    --------YES -> Power Node
    --------NO -> Extractor
    NO -> Extractor

I find this this rule results in the power node being the first target an adequate number of times.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2054597:date=Jan 2 2013, 01:02 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Jan 2 2013, 01:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I use the following simple rule:
    Are the marines likely to return to this location within the next 20 seconds?
    YES
    ----Is this location within a room or two from a fortified marine position?
    ----YES -> Extractor
    ----NO
    --------Do the marines want to establish a fortified position in this room?
    --------YES -> Power Node
    --------NO -> Extractor
    NO -> Extractor

I find this this rule results in the power node being the first target an adequate number of times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Always kill the extractor first. It costs money. Power nodes are free. if they are going to be in the room in soon then you're an idiot for killing a powernode instead of teh RT. They will kill you and just put the node back up and the guy building the node back up will be saying to his team "Glad he didn't hit the RT and kill it" (that's me a lot of times). However, if you know they want to set up a forward base, or its somewhere that is likely to get a phase gate (neck in veil comes to mind), then killing the power node makes sense. Any other time it's a waste of time.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2054145:date=Jan 1 2013, 08:37 AM:name=kalakuja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalakuja @ Jan 1 2013, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They just make the game slower and mostly restrict interesting structure positioning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is pretty much it. I know Flayra limited the arc of turrets because he wanted the game to be about player interactions with each other, not mindless static defenses, which makes his insistence on the power node/infestation mechanism all the more befuddling. I don't understand how spending more time building power nodes and killing endless cysts creates a more interesting game. The presence of power/infestation being a prerequisite to building things only makes it harder for territory to change hands, which results in a less dynamic game. Marines used to be able to sneak their way deep into Alien territory for ninja PGs that could reverse a losing game, but now that's gone. Aliens used to need to make decisions on whether they wanted to inflict long-lasting damage by hitting the AA, hit the obs then PG to prevent all the Marines from returning en masse, hit the Arms Lab for a temporary tactical advantage across the map, etc. Now you can just hit the power node for a general shutdown of everything.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I'd like to see Command Stations work as extra Power Node.
    If you kill the normal Power Node in a room, the Command Station in that room will just take over until it's destroyed.
    If you kill the Command Station first, you still have to take care of the Power Node to keep marines out.

This backup power would put more emphasis on destroying the actual crucial structures first, rather than going straight for the power. It would give marines even more of a reason to build a Command Station in as many tech points as possible and make those rooms more valuable than just random forward bases. And it would take care of those annoying lost matches just because some aliens managed to rush your power even though you had a superiority.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Its <u>over 3 years</u> now with various redesigns of the powernode and the cyst infestation mechanics without any real satisfying results.

Just asking for a removal(you might have seen the google moderator votes i started) of those mechanics was a bit too radical i guess, tho we need well thought trough redesigns of those "keymechanics"...

One even bigger problem that also only got bandaid fixes to somehow make it work so far, is the tech explosions.

Because it has been 3 years im tired and dont think we can come any further by continuing doing those mini tweaks trying to make those mechanics work well somehow. (im for radical redesign/rethinking using the knowledge we gathered from playing ns2 so far)
    <!--quoteo(post=2054904:date=Jan 2 2013, 11:15 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 2 2013, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its <u>over 3 years</u> now with various redesigns of the powernode and the cyst infestation mechanics without any real satisfying results.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I call NS2 a satisfying result.
    edited January 2013
    Nice. So you think asking for change is a waste of time - because its perfect the way it is?
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    I think the cyst/infestation is a lot better implemented than the powernode system.

By better, I mean it aligns with their overall game design

(of how aliens grow outwards from base, and the comm is a 'gardener' etc)

On the other hand, the powernode system was put in place..... for dynamic lighting to take effect!...
    <!--quoteo(post=2054935:date=Jan 2 2013, 11:53 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 2 2013, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice. So you think asking for change is a waste of time - because its perfect the way it is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is calling the entire thing a failure because of one mechanic you don't like a better approach?
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    edited January 2013
    I personally don't think powernodes should have such a drastic consequence as they currently do in NS2. It should be more of an aesthetic feature rather than a tactical feature.

Taking a powernode down should turn the lights off with only backups kicking in if an adjacent room has a functioning powernode, otherwise the room is pitchblack (cysts can maybe glow in the dark and aliens using their vision should make their eyes glow). Buildings have their own powersource to keep gameplay streamlined and take the focus away from constantly guarding the powernode.

I'm of two opinions with infestation. I love the concept of it, it is a clear indicator of Alien territory and it 'feels' awesome when you pass through several rooms that are either infested or are clean and aesthetic. You <u>know</u> you are venturing into enemy territory. Infestation (or the lack there of depending what team you're on) is a clear indicator that enemy war assets are more than likely in the room you've enterred in (RT/Sentries/Hydras/Players).

On the other hand Infestation slows gameplay way way down and limits what you can do. Cysts must be destroyed to stop the spread of infestation in order to build marine buildings and to stop the chance of the Khammander bone walling you at a bad time. So either marines need to do a Blitzkrieg into the Hive room and destroy as much as possible before being overwhelmed or if the marines play it 'safe' and build a forward base they announce their presence by killing cysts which the Khammander can instantly zero in on and tell the team where the next push is coming from and prepare accordingly.

I'm not really sure what the solution is for Infestation. As I said, it adds a lot of immersion and 'feel' to the game but it does (in my opinion) offer enough drawbacks to make each game a chore to play in. Others probably feel different to me, but I personally do not find it fun knifing cysts for a fair part of my marine play time and I sometimes use my bullets because I get impatient in the time it takes me to clear out an infested room.

Edit: Not to mention the FPS performance issues infestation is meant to have on players.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054145:date=Jan 1 2013, 06:37 AM:name=kalakuja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalakuja @ Jan 1 2013, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They just make the game slower and mostly restrict interesting structure positioning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^
    <!--quoteo(post=2055145:date=Jan 3 2013, 09:19 AM:name=Angry Child)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Child @ Jan 3 2013, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"Interesting structure positioning" is a fancy way of saying ninja phase gates. There was nothing interesting about ninja phase gates.
    edited January 2013
    I missed a point.

Whatever:
    You could archive the same by increasing build time of phasegates, and encouraging using drifters more.

Iits relative rare that marines are forced to attack cysts revealing their positions in a ninja phasegate attempt... since usually at those points in the game you cant afford to spam cysts that much => holes between infestation patches => you need to use drifters in addition anyway.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055253:date=Jan 3 2013, 01:28 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 3 2013, 01:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cysts dont really prevent ninja or regular phasegates. At best they can delay a phasegate. (to buy some more time if you ######ed up scouting)

You could archive the same by just increasing build time. (only that this will be useful for aliens in all situations, and not only the ones where you could afford to make sure there is not a single tiny hole to place a phasegate - since if marines dont have to attack a cysts your scouting error wont be forgiven and the ninja phasegate happens anyway)

Sure there are times where you can afford spamming cysts(and other "defensive" structures) endlessly... but that is a part of gameplay i consider not too great. (you agree?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, its not really a ninja phase gate unless its IN the hive room, in which case they are going to need the power node in the hive room to be built. An alien commander paying any attention at all should hear that almost immediately.
    edited January 2013
    So we dont need cysts to help against ninja phasegates now? :P
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I don't have a super rig and I have infestation on high and never get fps drop. i7-2600, 16 gigs ram, geforce 570 1024 megs ram. I've been playing FPS games since 1998 and every time a new game comes out I see people saying "I need to strip the game down so it runs better on my PC"... People need to face the facts that you should not expect to play today's games on a PC that is too old or not even making recommended specs from any game developer. minimum specs means the game will run, but not nicely. This game in my opinion is not even that hardware intensive so if the infestation is killing it, you need simply to buy better hardware. I don't mean to sound harsh but If you can't afford a better PC then you can't expect a game to run well and really shouldn't be buying it until your system is up to at least the recommended dev specs.
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2053340:date=Dec 30 2012, 09:06 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Dec 30 2012, 09:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2053340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said it repeatedly during the beta, and I'll say it again: the powernode and infestation mechanics are two of the weakest components of ns2 gameplay, even destructive to good gameplay in some instances. That they are also detrimental to performance adds insult to injury.

If the devs can't find a legitimate purpose for them, and alleviate the performance hit, I pray that they have the confidence to cut them out of the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My thoughts exactly.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Its not the infestation its the cysts.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055274:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:18 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 3 2013, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So we dont need cysts to help against ninja phasegates now? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You certainly can use them to do so, I rarely do. I was referring to the power node's effect on structure positioning.