AFK - it's a problem

nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
We see it more and more; lots of people are going AFK in the lobby, preventing others who actually want to play the game from joining the server. This is a cyclic process in that they don't want to lose a slot on the server whilst they go and eat (or the inverse) because it is difficult to join the server (for the reason just mentioned). There needs to be a means of kicking them, for example, if they are idle in the lobby for x number of minutes (perhaps 5 minutes by default - configurable by server admins) and the server is full then one idler should be kicked.

I suppose it could work as follows: all players in the lobby have an idle timer, and when it reaches x they are added to an idle queue. If the server is full then the first person in the queue is kicked. If the player becomes active again then he/she is removed from the queue.

I'm certain that this way we'll be able to spend more time in the game than in the server browser.

Comments

• Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    This is part of why UWE servers are a bad experience for new players.

Play on a server with admins.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    I don't play on UWE servers and yet admins are scarce.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is already a server mod for this and it's running on a couple of servers, but certainly would be great to have this "out of the box" on all servers.
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052427:date=Dec 28 2012, 11:42 AM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Dec 28 2012, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is already a server mod for this and it's running on a couple of servers, but certainly would be great to have this "out of the box" on all servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The two out of the box server mods that I think should be implemented:
    1. Afk kicking to ready room, and then from server if slots are scarce.
    2. Voting system for next map, kick player, restart round // surrender.

Would make quality of life much better in servers without admins + actually not requite admins in most cases.
  • SrsSarcasMSrsSarcasM Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176464Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited December 2012
    As <a href="http://goo.gl/mod/IAcI" target="_blank">I suggested</a> we should have spectator-only spots. Servers can easily handle 30+ connected clients, they just can't handle 30+ active players (plus the game breaks at this point). If you have a standard 8v8 game, allow 8 spectator spots. This gives the following advantages:

* New players (or old players) can spectate a game and learn/enjoy watching the game, without imbalancing the game
    * New players can watch and ask questions without detracting from being a player
    * Players who wish to que to play can actively watch the game while they wait for a spot to open up
    * Players who are AFK on a team for 5+ minutes can be pushed back to a spectator-only spot, so they remain on the server but don't disadvantage the team (and can rejoin, if available, if they come back to the game at a later stage).
    * You won't have to que for servers for 10+ minutes, only to join and find 1-4 observers watching the game or AFK, taking up critical player slots that could otherwise be full of active players

It's a more elegant solution than votekicking AFK players, and servers many useful purposes.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    I have an idea that might reduce the number of people in the ready room. It's kind of like America's Army's "Kick for camping" idea.

If someone is in the lobby for more than 20 seconds, give them a prompt; "If you have a preference for one of the two teams, press [ANY] to have the server remember your preference, and alert you when a spot is available!"

Then, if someone opts in, kick them, with a message saying "In all servers, play whichever team is available. Practice with either one makes perfect."

Hehe, it's a bit cruel.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052525:date=Dec 28 2012, 05:18 PM:name=SrsSarcasM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SrsSarcasM @ Dec 28 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As <a href="http://goo.gl/mod/IAcI" target="_blank">I suggested</a> we should have spectator-only spots. Servers can easily handle 30+ connected clients, they just can't handle 30+ active players (plus the game breaks at this point). If you have a standard 8v8 game, allow 8 spectator spots. This gives the following advantages:

* New players (or old players) can spectate a game and learn/enjoy watching the game, without imbalancing the game
    * New players can watch and ask questions without detracting from being a player
    * Players who wish to que to play can actively watch the game while they wait for a spot to open up
    * Players who are AFK on a team for 5+ minutes can be pushed back to a spectator-only spot, so they remain on the server but don't disadvantage the team (and can rejoin, if available, if they come back to the game at a later stage).
    * You won't have to que for servers for 10+ minutes, only to join and find 1-4 observers watching the game or AFK, taking up critical player slots that could otherwise be full of active players

It's a more elegant solution than votekicking AFK players, and servers many useful purposes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this suggestion

reminds me of the spectator feature in quake arena days
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    look, its these threads again!
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052391:date=Dec 28 2012, 01:38 PM:name=Brad_R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brad_R @ Dec 28 2012, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is part of why UWE servers are a bad experience for new players.

Play on a server with admins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But screen the servers with admins too. There's a few out there that have absurd rules such as "Don't stack" and that translates to "We can stack but if you have any friends on your team you are banned"
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The Alaskan Fight Klub is never a joke, and always a problem.