Grenade Launcher

2»

Comments

• gsx00gsx00 Join Date: 2012-12-21 Member: 175803Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051986:date=Dec 27 2012, 12:21 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 27 2012, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still, this happens. Your buddy is eaten and you gotta take out that skulk. GL doing this with GL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First grenade should have been on your buddy, the rest everywhere between you and him. If its still alive, fly away and find another buddy.

GL without jetpack is definitely not recommended. Going alone is probably also not a good idea, unless you're out to try to solo a hive or rape upgrade nests, again with a jetpack.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    It's for support and making aliens whine when you spam nades at the exo's feet. Seriously if you have a group of exos moving in, grab a gl and just watch skulks drop as they run in and get destroyed by grenades while trying to attack the exos.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    So gls are only effective when you have a bunch of exos attacking a hive?
    For an alien counterpart, lets take away bite, spike and spore from lerk to make him similarly useful: similar res cost, now only effective when 3 onos attack marine start so he can umbra! Great idea, right? </sarcasm>
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    gsx00: Nice theory crafting, but your mate is 1m away. Now what? 60wattman was being alot more subtle with his statement than you are.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Killing everything too slow, stupid, immobile or unlucky to get out of the way. Also great for knocking skulks off your teammates or buildings.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    Overall buggy and very situational weapon.

Its best use WOULD be to shoot at your friends' feet but it's way to unreliable because physics are very buggy in this state of the game. You'll find yourself bouncing grenades off floors, walls, invisible geometry, marines, and even alien lifeforms right back at yourself. I only use one close to an armoury for this reason, and because it uses up ammo so fast. Commanders are usually not very good at microing ammo drops, so it's best to ask for an armoury. Even then shotguns are good at killing hives too. Whips are too good at countering grenades otherwise the GL would be the best for clearing up crag spam and any structure spam in general. One bonus is that you get to kill a lot of eggs when shooting a hive, and whips don't send grenades back if they are on fire from flamers. Grenades are very dangerous for lerks, as a close hit will nearly one-shot.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051986:date=Dec 27 2012, 03:21 PM:name=xen32)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xen32 @ Dec 27 2012, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still, this happens. Your buddy is eaten and you gotta take out that skulk. GL doing this with GL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    fairly simple. fire a nade, take out pistol and kite player into nade area via circle strafe. player is so busy trying to hit you that they run right into the blast
  • [q.S] Sachiel[q.S] Sachiel Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052068:date=Dec 27 2012, 04:15 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Dec 27 2012, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fairly simple. fire a nade, take out pistol and kite player into nade area via circle strafe. player is so busy trying to hit you that they run right into the blast<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but it still doesn't make me feel comfortable running out of spawn with a GL, with nothing but a pistol to ward off fades and lerks.
    I love this about GL. It's such a risk and usually ends up with me soiling myself in some dark corridor, or screaming victory over the corpses of dead skulks.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited December 2012
    The grenade launcher's use is a bit counter intuitive. Basically its used to support ARCs and EXOs, and by support I mean blow them the ###### up. Just continually fire grenades at whatever or whoever you are covering
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051585:date=Dec 27 2012, 01:46 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 27 2012, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Counter to an onos is still 'lots of everything' but the GL isn't wasted on one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes it is. lmg or shotgun is 10 times better.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052068:date=Dec 28 2012, 01:15 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Dec 28 2012, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fairly simple. fire a nade, take out pistol and kite player into nade area via circle strafe. player is so busy trying to hit you that they run right into the blast<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You run into the grenade blast? Sounds like a bit of overkill just to kill a skulk...
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2052241:date=Dec 28 2012, 06:12 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Dec 28 2012, 06:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You run into the grenade blast? Sounds like a bit of overkill just to kill a skulk...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if youre a lone gler and multiple skulks are chasing you sure go for it, otherwise i just pistol kite or if a skulk is running along the ground i know how to aim it without the crosshair.. just gotta survive the splash dmg
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    GL is the suck against a good alien khamm - just put a few whips at key points and the GL is essentially useless! Whips throw back 4 /4 nades in my experience. If you have 2 GLs firing then some get through but since the whips can magically throw the nades back with 100% accuracy, even around corners and through objects (uh derp) this means you are usually dead or mostly dead from being near your own grenades going off.

I haven't bought a GL in probably 50 games now - they are a waste of res compared to a SG or saving for exos.

Here is what needs to happen IMO:

1.) Reduce GL hit range - it kills skulks / GL shooter from way too far away

2.) reduce the damage to the shooter if a nade lands near you (it seems as though they do more dmg to the shooter than the aliens)

3.) reduce or eliminate the whip throwback capability. Throwing back 4/4 nades is ridiculous, as is the 100% accuracy through objects & around corners. Its just absurd how effective a whip is at this!

4.) fix the bounce physics! nades bounce off EVERYTHING especially nearby marines, and when they 'bounce' they just stop dead at your feet and blow you up! Its almost impossible to lob grenades from within a crowd of other marines while raiding a hive. You have to remove yourself from the group and make sure nobody strafes in front of you.

These 4 issues make the GL a huge waste of money at the moment. The only thing they are good for is a support role but even then you will usually accidentally blow yourself up trying to land them at the exo / fellow marines feet.

<b>The way it stands now:

If you want to kill aliens - LMG or SG

If you want to kill structures - flamethrower

If you want to kill yourself - grenade launcher </b>

please fix it!
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    i am surprised when i see merry christmas thread got insta moved but not this one.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Merry Christmas belongs to offtopic, Grenade Launcher belongs to NS2 General discussion. What is so surprising?

On topic GL: I had another idea about spicing up gl. By holding the fire button, you could charge up the gl to shoot grenades with more velocity. The downside is that it takes longer to fire. Couple this with somehow slowing whips reflection abilitiy, so it becomes possible to hit whips with fully charged direct grenade hits.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051551:date=Dec 26 2012, 06:09 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 26 2012, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has a high damage per shot also which makes it surprisingly effective against the onos, which subtracts a portion of damage from every hit (making the shotgun and machinegun not so good against it).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you're talking about hide armour, that was removed before the game was released. There is no more "hidden variable" removing damage from weapons, just the regular light/normal/heavy/special damage types. That's why Oni have such a huge amount of HP and armour - to make up for the loss of hide armour.

<!--quoteo(post=2052310:date=Dec 28 2012, 09:56 AM:name=joederp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joederp @ Dec 28 2012, 09:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3.) reduce or eliminate the whip throwback capability. Throwing back 4/4 nades is ridiculous, as is the 100% accuracy through objects & around corners. Its just absurd how effective a whip is at this!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know if you were around when the game was released, but whips were nearly useless until they made them hit the grenades back at the marines again. I do agree that they could use a bit of a nerf though, as they're a bit too effective now (and I say this as someone who plays aliens almost exclusively). Maybe add more variance to the direction they knock them in, and reduce the distance that they're tossed. Slowing down the knockback so they can only get 2/4 wouldn't be so bad either (that's what multiple whips are for).
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    My new favourite thing is dropping a bonewall when you know a nade marine is about to fire. 100% suicide rate
  • CatCopCatCop Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20296Members, Constellation
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    Bring a flamethrower buddy with you and you can kill whips. The point of a GL is that there should only be 1-2 people using them per team, and they should be firing after the whips are dead and gone.

GLs also take out harvesters extremely fast so against some alien players you can jetpack around the stage with a buddy and kill harvesters in like 2 seconds.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    The GL and whips concept is fine.

But self damage is a bit too high and so is the whips ratio of boucing nades back right in direction of thrower a bit too high.

Maybe the system needs a tuning bewteen self damage / return ratio / random direction ?
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2051548:date=Dec 26 2012, 05:04 PM:name=Butmunkie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butmunkie @ Dec 26 2012, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2051548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey all.

Got this game on the sale with some friends and am well and truly hooked. One thing that baffles me though is the grenade launcher.

It's way too slow firing, and the projectiles themselves are way too slow to be effective at killing bugs. The reload is too long to be effective at suppression fire down a hallway. So with the powerful AoE damage all that leaves is taking down structures. The problem is every time aliens have been moving in and setting up mini bases around corners so bugs have somewhere nearby to retreat to, they are also chock a block full of whips which throw back every grenade I toss at em.

So what is the grenade launcher for exactly? Is there a way to atleast get one of my four grenades to hit a whip? I imagine it would be effective at taking down a hive and its upgrades but it really doesn't help you get to the hive itself; and there are many other better options to take down a hive if you can get into the room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Vent clearing, late game seiges, and if you have any skill, you can ace 4-5 skulks bearing down on you. The GL is too expensive, I feel, considering its limited uses, but it certainly does have a purpose.