Development Blog Update - NS2 balance and feedback process

Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
<div class="IPBDescription">Take 2 - since last thread did not stay on topic</div>Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - NS2 balance and feedback process here

(There were several people in the last thread that felt the need to take up everyone's time with their own off topic arguments. Please keep this thread ON TOPIC, based around the news post regarding the feedback and balancing process, not personal balance opinions. Thanks.)

--Cory

Comments

• godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    Flayra's topic got locked. Let's see if we can get Cory's topic locked!
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    My opinion atm is that all the current balance mod does is nerf Marines.. when Marines are already having a tough time?

I agree some of it is too strong, but what about the Alien changes.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just a quick thought from glancing through all of this.

The three dedicated teams seems great for efficiency, but with each of them being 100% separate it seems they would be working on their own thing and never fully complementing each other.

Two potential issues.
    Map testing balance would generally be an iteration of game balance behind.
    The game balance team should be aware of the new features to cull potential release day exploitative behavior.

At certain points like the big content patches, the internal teams should work together/unify to get everything ready for the public.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Just a reminder, the thread isn't about specific balance issues in the game, it's about <i><b>how the game itself</b></i> is balanced.

I think my big question to the developers is about this remark:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Taking qualitative feedback from discussions, meetings, message boards and anecdote is useful to determine emotional hotspots for players, but doesn't accurately represent the size or frequency of a problem: the squeakiest wheel gets the grease, as they say, and there is an unspoken majority (~90%) which doesn't even participate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->So how can you tell whether you are getting accurate feedback?

One of the things that I do on my projects (and Charlie used to do this - I'm not sure if he has the time anymore) is to actually go out and play with the public to see the kinds of things they do and say in person. (I know Charlie did as I do, which is to use a nick that the players don't know of.) It's fine to gather stats, but I find there can be a bit of a disconnect between what you see in the numbers and what you see 'in person'. How you design the game to be played, and how the game is played, are often two very different animals.

I've actually found it interesting with all the new players, since I can see how many of them come into the game with a completely different expectation of how the game should play. (For example, I've seen many marine commanders building a robotics factory and turrets at the start, as a means to protect resources.) I've also seen many of the marines asking about when they get their 'mechs' - since that seemed to feature prominently in the Steam store screenshots.

The other area that I really think is lacking is feedback *from* the developers to the community on what they've seen and what their plans are. I know we sometimes see it in I&S and tech support, but I'd love to see a bit more from the devs about what they are working on. You don't have to 'show your hand' (like release details about features you may or may not be adding), but if there are issues you are working to correct, letting the community know would at least assuage their tensions about certain issues that may be causing friction. You can never have too much communication with your customers. More 'status updates' would be welcome.
    We should have a server-side optional temporary balance mod.

Aliens are better than Marines ATM. The best solution is to make underpowered tactics more effective, and to debuff overpowered alien abilities. Are Onii OP? Well, let's consult the flow chart, okay, rebalanced, now playtest, consult ten different sources of information on the flow chart, aaaaandd... yeah, even after restricting T.Res Onii to 3 hives, they're still OP. Or are they!? Don't worry balance team! We're getting there!

Why not have a temporary balance mod? <b>Simple: Marine players and structures do X% more damage, and have X% more health. X is whatever it needs to be, to make Aliens vs Marines= 50/50. </b> The problem I see with this mod is that UWE won't have a sense of how the pubs are doing, and that more specific problems like individual parts being UP/OP aren't addressed. Well, that's for the playtesters to solve behind the scenes. We all get it, UWE. Balancing takes a lot of hard work. Meanwhile the influx of new players from holiday sales and 1.0 are being driven away from one sided pub stomps with Alien Domination.

A temporary balance mod would keep players around so that they don't leave, and if they want, they can jump on the non-modded servers once they're ready. The mod produces fun, at the expense of actual proper balance. But we need a quick fix on the balance now.

If aliens aren't OP, then disregard.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Personally I really dislike public servers running balance mods. Even the official balance mod. There's no good way to convey information on what's been changed and sometimes they are not well balanced in the first place (see: voogru server's RFK implementation). Mostly just the first point, though- everyone who joins the server just ends up being confused, and it really makes for a muddy experience. Especially when they are servers that are often populated, because then you get people who formulate opinions and post feedback revolving 3rd party balance mods which are not even part of the official game. Multiply this by however many servers are running X number of unique balance mods.

tl;dr: splintering the community and all that...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Here are my thoughts. All these are my opinions and feelings and are based on public games experience. As commander, and unit on both sides. I know in competitive play it would be a little bit different as tactics may differ. But not that far either. A RT is a RT...hmm sorry, an extractor is and extractor. Try to see next things as something that have an effect on balance.

<u><b>First of em all. The performances.</b></u>
    I have a Athlon X2 64 (2Ghz) + 2 Gigs mem and a 5870 radeon, no SSD, Win XP. Quite average now. All graphic options set to the minimum in order to get max FPS possible. It is obvious that this game requires much better. That's ok with me, i'm planing to buy some new rig. But still, there's some issues.

<b>Symptoms list:</b>
    -Precision: even on early game (in which i have a good FPS), you find yourself going back and forth fighting a marine. It can take hours. Sometimes you pass through them, sometimes it looks like the 1.04 dance. Both turn around each other etc... Other game don't do that thing much on my PC. Probably NS2 issue.

-Late game becomes a little slow due to many entities all over the place. That is something to work on. Especially with Exos. All players that i could talk with feel the same. 1 exo = lag.

-Sometimes when you choose a team, it takes a lot of time to display anything. Or as marine if you are re-spawning and use the "move forward" key, you suddenly end up at the other side of the base.

-Parasite or bullet just don't work sometimes. i'm sure of my aim. got the target mod to make it sure. Sometimes even aimed properly, it just don't work.

So performance can impact gameplay and so ... balance.

<u>*->Improve the code</u>
    I'm pretty sure you have lots of imbricated "if"... use some matrix base choice routine. Pretty efficient and faster (than light?).
    Make simple tools for people to see if they lag/FPS drops. The "netgraph" from HL1 was a good start.
    Give a PC a score (like 3Dmark). So players can see where the problem is (rig or network or other things). Most of the time it's one thing that is weak not everything.

<u><b>Keyboard configuration </b></u>
    It's like any single thing on earth. You like it because you feel comfortable on/in it.
    I hate changing weapon with mouse wheel. That sux and will always sux.

<u>*->Interface</u>
    No hardcoded key configuration for commander.
    Can't set jump in mouse wheel using interface. Jumping with mouse is better (and i shoot with space).

Make it evolve to fit the players need. It's an easy job. Don't bother. Just, make one for every life form.
    One tab for each. and a function to copy one configuration to another tab.
    Simple, fast, easy.

<u><b>Commanding interface</b></u>

<b>General:</b>
    Give the support to whom calls without moving from places to places (faster).
    If you are lefty and get in the chair...bad call
    If you are lefty and get your ass in the chair and you have a AZERTY keyboard... good luck with that.
    Cloaked entities sometimes are hard to find (kharra commander).

<b>TF</b>
    God the radius is minimalist.
    Directional turrets are ok for skulks but clearly useless for a gorge with bile bomb or Onos. The gap between both kind of classes is to large.
    1 skulks lerk of fade won't get rid of it fast.
    2 Gorge with bile or onos = peace'o'cake. 2 Gorges can rush a marine base and probably destroy it most of the time.

<b>Grouping and Obs</b>
    Shade/scan economy is set on a thin line. Too thin. If things go wrong for marines with Shaded Kharra's (as first upgrade). It becomes a long agony. Grouping the obs to acces it faster is just ugly.

<b>Minimap</b>
    As Kharras while planting my Cysts, i sometimes click on the minimap and get lost for a moment. Black on black stays black.

<u>*->What can be done?</u>
    Do not nerf gorge, the situation is already difficult considering the vents problems. Maybe one more turret, bigger radius, or non directional thing. whatever, but don't nerf gorge.

Scan should be, in a key shortcut. and price should be a little lower. if no price, a cooldown time. I'm pretty sure any commander would invest in more than one obs. The thing is that there is no direct counter for camouflage.

Make a design for the minimap of kharra commander.

<b><u>Subjective Gameplay</u></b>

<b>Skulk or marines color/view</b>
    -Kharra's view is ugly. We only need to see marines better. because most of the time, it's Grey on Grey from the kharra's point of view...
    -Marines view is realistic and i feel like skulk are a bit too Grey. Same Grey on Grey stuff.
    Don't worry colors are fine on my screen and in my eyes.

That brings some "stuff" up considering the "visibility" issue.

1 Lone star cowboyz (or joystick ######s)
    I'm truly amazed by the precision of some marine player. It's like you're not here. They shoot you in some impossible way and fast or from a long range like no other. You always feel you get "one shoted". Even when power node just went down and they don't have "lights on". They do fight in the dark... O'RLY??... yeah right.

2 Some of them always kill you fast while you have to bit em for an hour to get something. Even if you're cloaked, he's building a power node, first 3 bites , and the jumping dance begins. I don't have that luxury as marine. Once i have the sound, I'm dead. BTW i do have truly good reflexes and aim. Playing on server with 50 to 75 (ping).

3 We have Scripter already (that i'm sure).
    Some moves are often repeated, Like the same evasive maneuver. Always the same routine whatever the situation. Maybe some hack in the game (like console bind or something) or maybe configurable mouse and keyboard (like Roccat gamer mouses). I even saw a marine hovering in mid air for a bunch of seconds. i'm sure it could not be a laggy thing. They do send a lot of "commands" in small time.

<b>Skulk default speed</b>
    Try to race with a dog. Even a small one. i have a vision in my crystal ball. yep you lost the race. 4 legged run faster than bipeds. Period.

<b>If shade is first, silence comes later or never</b>
    Got ideas for shade upgrades. dev can PM me.

<b>PG</b>
    God it's messy like hell. Depending on direction and location you see like you pass trough 2 gates. Arrived, sometimes you turn left-right to see things around, and it teleport you again to the next PG. huh?

<u>*->too many people start to complain about that.</u>
    That cannot be coincidence when many people talk about it. I'm the kind that waits before judging. I made the choice of saying, some marines are just not "clean". This should be addressed seriously because decisions for balancing must be made on a clean player base.

The old PG was looking fine to me.

<b><u>Maps </u></b>

<b>2D / 3D</b>
    Maps are designed in 2D. the only real example of 3D design is nanogrid on Veil. Need more vents everywhere. a good part of the fights are often in the alleys not on strategic spots. I did not see so many good ambush spots as "some" marines always look at the right spot only when they need.

<b>You spin me round, round baby...</b>
    Graphics are great, but sometime the name of the room just doesn't fit. Warehouse with empty racks. Bar with alleys designed for drunks. Shipping without a big exit door. Most of the time there is no direct way from one room to another. I think that architects from the 23rd century just got a bit "border line". Spawning at the other side of the map when a hive is attacked... pff... run baby run...

<b>Vents </b>
    ...are for kharra not marines!!! Most of the vent start to suck. Needless to say that bile from vent is out the question now (update of Veil/Subsector for example). But evolving gorge in a vent and rush a base with some help is now compromised as marines can go in most vents without jetpacks or help. ex: summit/reactor core; Veil, Skylight-overlook

<b>Power cell weakness</b>
    Every commander tries to protect it with a big structure. It's an easy way for kharra to kill a base. I've seen many games like that. Kharras get hammered like hell from the start and then no power in main marine base.... tudum, tudum... Game over.

<u>*->Ho no!!!</u>
    IP or Obs should still work. At least something that is not death certificate.
    Improve vents, truly.
    Spawning option, or fast travel for alien. whatever.

<b><u>Observations about strategy and tactics</u></b>
    Ending games with shade as first upgrade is sometimes long and just long... Everybody knows the end but it's kind of hard to finish for kharra as marines with a descent commander have a lot of upgrades and one or two "exos". So it takes the time to deal with the two "bigs" and continue.

<b>Community</b>
    <u><b>For all players</b></u>
    Buy a microphone! it cost from 5 bucks to 15 most of the time and countries. And don't tell you don't have that kind of cash while playing with an average or top PC in which the graphic card is probably half the price...

<b><u>About Player behavior</u></b>
    Never let'em sleep at work. If you are not bad at commanding and able to give em stuff; the players just relax too much. And then it goes in a VietNam situation where you loose and retake over and over the same 1 or 2 extractor. The pace slows down as marine team tries to save for exos. So speak to them (an BUY a **** microphone)! "Back to work you peasants !!" :)

And don't forget to great them when they do some good stuff. You're nothing without'em (it goes both sides).

<u><b>Editor</b></u>
    Did not get it. Controls are strange. Should not be a "you have to know to learn"...

*->Tutorials are ok
    Some other way of moving around in the map. The sandbox from Farcry was a really good stuff. Inspiration from it wont kill. Something that just is natural.
    Simpler way to launch it. One icon (.!)
    And the EDITOR is THE one thing that make a game interesting further than the game itself. If mappers can develop fast and easy. Your game will rise like never before. Remember Morrowind, or Farcry ??? Their editor was a true gold piece that made truly good communities.

That should do it :)

cheers
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2050396:date=Dec 23 2012, 03:22 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Dec 23 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We should have a server-side optional temporary balance mod.

Aliens are better than Marines ATM. The best solution is to make underpowered tactics more effective, and to debuff overpowered alien abilities. Are Onii OP? Well, let's consult the flow chart, okay, rebalanced, now playtest, consult ten different sources of information on the flow chart, aaaaandd... yeah, even after restricting T.Res Onii to 3 hives, they're still OP. Or are they!? Don't worry balance team! We're getting there!

Why not have a temporary balance mod? <b>Simple: Marine players and structures do X% more damage, and have X% more health. X is whatever it needs to be, to make Aliens vs Marines= 50/50. </b> The problem I see with this mod is that UWE won't have a sense of how the pubs are doing, and that more specific problems like individual parts being UP/OP aren't addressed. Well, that's for the playtesters to solve behind the scenes. We all get it, UWE. Balancing takes a lot of hard work. Meanwhile the influx of new players from holiday sales and 1.0 are being driven away from one sided pub stomps with Alien Domination.

A temporary balance mod would keep players around so that they don't leave, and if they want, they can jump on the non-modded servers once they're ready. The mod produces fun, at the expense of actual proper balance. But we need a quick fix on the balance now.

If aliens aren't OP, then disregard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    balance doesn't necessarily have to be related to specific things being "OP" or not. as such, it cannot easily be addressed merely by switching around numbers (which has made up most of the history of NS2 patches).

balance is not as simple as seeing a winrate statistic and nerfing the winning race. the 6 minute Onos was a great example of this: the winrates were only slightly favoring Aliens on release, but marines were winning the majority of games prior to 6 minutes (or dealing enough economic damage to significantly delay the Onos), and Aliens simply had the win button after the Onos came out. this was not balanced <i>or</i> fun.

if we follow your lead:
    1) UWE sees that winrates were favoring Aliens due to the 6 minute Onos
    2) Onos gets nerfed to do less damage / have less HP

if this had happened, winning would have been nearly impossible for Aliens, despite their lead in the winrate. there simply weren't very effective ways to win without Onos at the time. the winrates only tell a very small part of a large story, and as such, should not be used as a guiding metric for balance until the fundamental mechanics are in place.

UWE chose correctly instead to move the Onos to the third hive (a change that shakes up the fundamentals of the t-res system), and nerf it very slightly with the Gore. this keeps in mind the Onos's role while balancing it for a legitimate p-res timing that keeps in mind the aspect of timings and stages of the game.

another example that's currently bothering me is the ability for aliens to constantly pressure marine RTs while expanding themselves. it takes only one alien to threaten an Extractor and force a marine back. on the other side, you typically see 2+ marines having to be commited to taking down an Extractor.

on some maps such as Tram this almost entirely a non-issue. the map is very easy to cut off areas of entry and force fights in specific locations.

in contrast, Veil is incredibly difficult to hold any ground on. the vent between Overlook and West and the vent between C12 and Topographical make it incredibly easy for a competent alien to force at least a single marine to wait around. this is part of the reason why there is such a heavy reliance on Nanogrid, as well.

to address specific issues of balance, hopefully everyone is looking at the entire spectrum of map balance, game balance, and individual player skill. it is not as simplistic as changing the health on the Fade and hoping it gets used.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2050394:date=Dec 23 2012, 03:13 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 23 2012, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How you design the game to be played, and how the game is played, are often two very different animals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much resolved if there was a resource widely used and accessible that all players were strongly advised to participate in that would be "fun" at the same time. I'm sure you could take it from Dota2 or SC2's book somewhere along the way of playing against AI or some very nice in depth tutorials on build orders and what is viable.

Most players nowdays expect to be able to "install" and immediately be able to have fun and do decently because most games nowadays are dumbed down and super easy. Either that or there is a good method for learning that players are inclined to use.

NS2 is difficult, not easy.. and many players get lost in things that aren't viable at all because they don't know any better or formulate an opinion based on evidence that is likely only situational - skill stack metgame posts being a good example from MaximumSquid.

But in the end however it happens, the new players have no idea what they are doing when they first start playing and for a long time after.

This is a combination of a lack of resources/inclination to view tutorials/participate in a learning method combined with the difficult learning curve on how the game works. New players get put off because they aren't learning that quickly from just hopping in and flat out playing directly without one of the following things happening: A) a competitive player is in the server giving some advice over VOIP, B) there is a good commander giving advice, C) the player just happens to catch on by some luck that something is more viable if done "this" way.

Those scenarios are few and far between.. leaving a big gap for the newbies to break that learning curve.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2050411:date=Dec 23 2012, 08:49 PM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Dec 23 2012, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a combination of a lack of resources/inclination to view tutorials/participate in a learning method combined with the difficult learning curve on how the game works. New players get put off because they aren't learning that quickly from just hopping in and flat out playing directly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->And you do raise a valid point in that the game does lack any kind of interactive training. I know UWE resources were limited, but it is still something I would have loved to see.

If this was a straight FPS shooter/combat game, it wouldn't really matter. However the advanced game elements make it so that new players really don't know much more than what they see in front of them. IE, there's an enemy - I have to kill it. There's a bubble telling me to build it - I must build it. Etc...

It's what I always say in regard to game development, 'perception is reality'. It doesn't matter what you design, if the gamer perceives your design in a different way then that is 'reality' to them. Unfortunately this can make it hellish for developers since you can work long and hard trying to present something one way, only to have people totally ignore the mechanic or misunderstand it.

For example, I see many new players as aliens and they are only running on the floor. Because they are so used to that in FPS games, that is how they perceive the skulk is to be played. So unless the game tells them otherwise, they may keep doing it until they accidentally run up a wall and have an "Ohhh..." moment.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2050410:date=Dec 24 2012, 12:49 AM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Dec 24 2012, 12:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it is not as simplistic as changing the health on the Fade and hoping it gets used.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree. My solution to simply change health is the wrong solution! But isn't having a temporary solution better than what's currently on the field, that we slowly balance the game with this huge flowchart? (EDIT) Not sure you actually read my post... it's not about a simple health fix, it's more about a temporary global health/damage mod.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rantology)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's no good way to convey information on what's been changed and sometimes they are not well balanced in the first place (see: voogru server's RFK implementation). Mostly just the first point, though- everyone who joins the server just ends up being confused, and it really makes for a muddy experience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're right in stating that server side balance mods in the past have been confusing and splitting the community. However, I am proposing that UWE backs this as an official "quickfix" mod, to make it prevalent in most servers. I'd like to see it in 90% of servers. And the balance changes would be extremely obvious- Like I stated, very simply the only two factors changed would be marine player/structure health and marine damage.

I don't want to break the game, I just want to see more 50/50 Marine Alien matches.
    <!--quoteo(post=2050417:date=Dec 23 2012, 05:07 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 23 2012, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example, I see many new players as aliens and they are only running on the floor. Because they are so used to that in FPS games, that is how they perceive the skulk is to be played. So unless the game tells them otherwise, they may keep doing it until they accidentally run up a wall and have an "Ohhh..." moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much yes. Since this Holiday Sale I've commanded a lot of games with the newer players. Almost every game I've had to tell the guys to use the ceilings and walls, how to use abilities and other mechanics that just aren't that obvious to the current gamer generation that hasn't played an NS game/alien game before.

And back to the topic I think this issue in turn causes the current statistics system in some cases to be skewed. (not 100% sure on how their statistics gathering system works but I would assume on at least a W/L ratio)

There is no league/noob system so how else should they interpret games that involve these scenarios.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2050419:date=Dec 23 2012, 04:18 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Dec 23 2012, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. My solution to simply change health is the wrong solution! But isn't having a temporary solution better than what's currently on the field, that we slowly balance the game with this huge flowchart? (EDIT) Not sure you actually read my post... it's not about a simple health fix, it's more about a temporary global health/damage mod.

You're right in stating that server side balance mods in the past have been confusing and splitting the community. However, I am proposing that UWE backs this as an official "quickfix" mod, to make it prevalent in most servers. I'd like to see it in 90% of servers. And the balance changes would be extremely obvious- Like I stated, very simply the only two factors changed would be marine player/structure health and marine damage.

I don't want to break the game, I just want to see more 50/50 Marine Alien matches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did read your post, and it is covered in mine. adjusting values arbitrarily while not looking at the fundamental issues only serves as a detriment.

the current problems with NS2 are not related to certain weapons doing too little damage or health values or anything as simplistic as that (unfortunately).

this sums it up better than I possibly could:

<!--quoteo(post=2031569:date=Nov 21 2012, 02:12 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 21 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And lastly as a classic example from Yuuki & the intermediate value theorem: If an LMG does 0 damage, marines will win 0% of the games. If an LMG does 1000 damage, marines will win 100% of the games. By the IVT, there exists such a number between 0 and 1000 where marines will win 50% of their games. Now consider the impact this has on the rest of the game. If "balance" as defined by 50/50 winrate can be achieved without looking at 99% of the game, how can a 50/50 winrate be indicative of balance within different portions of the game (ie onos or fade or shotguns).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=2050400:date=Dec 23 2012, 08:31 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Dec 23 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I really dislike public servers running balance mods. Even the official balance mod. There's no good way to convey information on what's been changed and sometimes they are not well balanced in the first place (see: voogru server's RFK implementation). Mostly just the first point, though- everyone who joins the server just ends up being confused, and it really makes for a muddy experience ... splintering the community and all that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I wouldn't go that far. Voogru (ex-NS developer if you weren't aware) has been 'ahead of the curve' on a number of aspects in the game. Quite often his mods make it into the game. (EG. Marines never used to get health at an armory; Voogru made a mod so they did, now it's part of the game.)

Also, mods can often act as a 'test bed' for things that the developers may not have considered and/or are reticent to implement. Bottom line is that if it 'breaks' the game then people won't play there, and if people don't play there the mod will get removed. This is probably why they put a 'filter modded' button in the server list so people know when they are playing on a 'stock' server.

As for NS2 balance, developers pay close attention to what goes on with mods. If these kinds of mods really did 'splinter the community', then UWE would have locked down the code that allows the mod to make those kinds of alterations.

With mods, in the end, people will vote with their feet.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2050429:date=Dec 23 2012, 05:44 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 23 2012, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't go that far. Voogru (ex-NS developer if you weren't aware) has been 'ahead of the curve' on a number of aspects in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wouldn't call getting an Onos in 4 minutes ahead of the curve in the case of his recent RFK implementation..

A balance mod might be useful for competitive teams to tinker with and give feedback on. Not so sure on public servers as they will likely be confused.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That filter modded doesnt really mean much, as you can get around it and modify whatever you please server side, and the clients would never know because it wont show as modded. Changing random things on public servers is a bad idea - adding RFK to aliens is a huge change, nowhere near making it so armories heal just your health like the small mod from NS1, not even remotely close to a valid comparison.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I think a Skulk should be able to take down an Exo, or even two.

In the extreme, we simply cannot *not* engage enemies attacking a unloseable hive.

Isn't the *whole* point of having human controlled RTS units: We don't have 2 rocket trooper beats 1 tank, 1 flamer beats 3 infantry, 2 squid always take out a shark etc etc ? We have variation, a spectrum of possibilities, some extreme moments like skulk beats exo.

To get mathy about it, the probability of extremes occuring are enforced/mitigated by: skulks have d armour compared to exos, exos have miniguns.

But if those extremes arn't non zero, we go back to command and conquer stz.

Plus unless you made spit and heal damage only armour, removed clogs and hydras, I don't think you even could stop the occasional gorge spitting a marine to death.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    Last time I played on Voogru, I had my pres onos in 4m (evolved by 5) and got 75 pres about 5 minutes after that.

I like the idea behind RFK, or something similar, but the implementation of RFK on Voogru is really poorly done.

Also, Voogru appears as a non-modded server because they edited the game's LUA. I think this is bad for NS2 because server operators can change things without explaining what they changed (Voogru made no mention of RFK) and still appear as vanilla NS2 servers. Most players have no idea that Voogru is modded because it does not appear as such. They're just confused when a 4 minute onos pops up.
    <!--quoteo(post=2050440:date=Dec 23 2012, 10:08 PM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Dec 23 2012, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't call getting an Onos in 4 minutes ahead of the curve in the case of his recent RFK implementation..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->And I *agree* with you. I was talking about the suggestion that mods split the community. Hey, if people are getting an Onos in four minutes and marines are losing every game, then one of two things will happen.

People will stop playing on his server.

He will remove the mod or alter it. (perhaps to tie the pres Onos to the number of hives)

It will be up the UWE if they want to allow mods like this. To date they haven't shown any interest in discouraging the modding community.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Oh and BTW

<b>Public Toilet</b>
    Comchair animation on marine side is annoying. It takes ages to have the comm vue. It's a pain when Kharra decided to rush base at second N°1. You go out, you go in... As kham, not a single problem. Going out helping the eggs or reinforce to clean the hive is ok and fast.

*Can be addressed without changing the kharra's side.

<b>Autobalance is bad</b>
    If you have a spot at the front line to guard. You do the job well enough as Kharra but you die. And let's say it's a pivot point... by the time the team reorganize and react (or can do it), it is usually too late.

*I would have see something really different and clearly smarter than that. You have many different way to do it. Make damage a little lower for the team that has more player. Make the skulk go faster/slower, more/less carapace. Whatever. Once you find the "balance coefficient" by comparing the 2 teams... it's gonna be far better than what we have. Players join server to play. Swaping team isn't just good. The teammate that swaps team, just gonna know where to hit. Not really what i call balance.

<b>Egg lock / hive lock still sux</b>
    It looks like 1.04 hive lock. You must spawn in order to play (yeah just play). That should be enough to say. People want to play even in clan play.

*It should look like the Cory's painting. Some flying and shinny thing turning around the hive. And a player about to spawn should be able to select the one egg they want. Being able to select upgrades before spawning would also be great. Same for "power node" / IP+beacon problem. Should be addressed fast.

"Early pressure" style did almost kill NS1 (even in v3). Having a "French omelet ninja" in the hive will be the new fashion soon if not already. That ruins everything because any other interesting thing (already here or to come) will be ignored as the "rush base" is more efficient. I do think that "fights" should not be in the bases (except big goofs) in early game. So far it goes on the other direction. There are so many other interesting things to do.

<b>Whip/arc</b>
    The deploy/root thing is just not good.

*2 actions are enough :
    -1 "Move in range of that WP - Deploy and fire"
    -2 move (if deployed, "undeploy" and move)

<b>MACs are so bugged</b>
    If a marine start to build, the MAC won't finish it. So if all are out the base or answer for a call (like "go PG"), MACs just sit there not building. Sometime not even welding things around. That a bit problematic if you plan to have all teammate out the base.

Others:
    -Pick up a welder? Damn it's not a gun. Add to inventory, don't equip with it. Exept in infestation, lost guns should stay on floor for a longer time. "use key" should be used instead of a dedicated one.

-I don't know for other players but sometimes the game have the bad habbit to make me spawn in the bad hive so i have to run across the mad for ages. I'd like to see something to address it.