Selective Spawning

nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
<!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro--><i><b>Scenario:</b> Marines/Aliens are pushing into one of your bases. You've called for some team members to help you defend and have thus formed a small team whose goal is solely to prevent the marines/aliens from advancing. From waves of attacks you begin understanding their weaknesses, planning a possible counter-attack. In one of your waves you die. You spawn at the opposite side of the map. The marines/aliens advance and take the base you were successfully defending for so long...</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<b>Problem:</b> You spawn where you don't want to.

<b>Solutions:</b>
1. The game should spawn you at the base nearest to where you died.
2. The game should allow you to choose on the map a point from which to spawn (putting you in a queue until you can do so if currently blocked).
3. The game will default to spawning you at the nearest base from where you died (1), but you may select otherwise (2).

Comments

• LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    It feels like something should be done. It really does get old spawn on the opposite of the map from where you want to be when there is plenty of eggs in that area. Maybe make it a commander ability, use that shift or hive to set it as a preferred location for ressing.

I would prefer to set my own location but alien commanders need some love
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I like the idea as a player to get power to choose where I start, however from a game design perspective you can see the issues:
    <ul><li>Marine IPs have a cycle time, so choosing another IP would either make that IP cycle early (bad from aliens perspective since good to be able to count down time before need to be aware of another marine spawning) or have the marine miss the spawn time in the unwanted IP (not great for marine or marine commander. commander wants all his people on the field).</li><li>Aliens have special mechanics about egg selection. Hives under attack get priority. This is useful for defense, but can be manipulated by marines to get aliens away from a point by having 1 marine suicide the hive. Shifts are also given priority, and as an alien commander I want my aliens to be spawning at these forward locations.</li></ul>

Having a 'spawn map' when you die though that gives information of egg counts, player locations and IP cycle times/queues would be nice though. Players can make an informed decision.
  • bakkotobakkoto Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2050334:date=Dec 23 2012, 12:36 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Dec 23 2012, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2050334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea as a player to get power to choose where I start, however from a game design perspective you can see the issues:
    <ul><li>Marine IPs have a cycle time, so choosing another IP would either make that IP cycle early (bad from aliens perspective since good to be able to count down time before need to be aware of another marine spawning) or have the marine miss the spawn time in the unwanted IP (not great for marine or marine commander. commander wants all his people on the field).</li><li>Aliens have special mechanics about egg selection. Hives under attack get priority. This is useful for defense, but can be manipulated by marines to get aliens away from a point by having 1 marine suicide the hive. Shifts are also given priority, and as an alien commander I want my aliens to be spawning at these forward locations.</li></ul>

Having a 'spawn map' when you die though that gives information of egg counts, player locations and IP cycle times/queues would be nice though. Players can make an informed decision.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nothing to say.Wise talk. +1