Drone control station

AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
Just had an idea earlier and thought I would share. A structure the marine commander can build that another player on the team can use. They would get in like a command chair and once inside, they could build drones using their own pres.

The drones would just float in the air and basically be a turret, but the player in the drone control station could take manual control of one and fly it around. Maybe make it a two chair thing.

The drones would scale with weapon and armor upgrades, and you could get different drones based on what weapons have been researched; IE if you have shotguns, you could get a drone with a shotgun, if you have grenade launchers then you can get drones with grenade launchers etc. They would have ammo capacity, but instead of having magazines like marines, they just have a big pool of ammo. The player in the station could move them around like mac/arcs, but they would be pretty bad.

For manueverability, they would have the same speed as a marine, but be able to fly around.

The chair would only be accessible by anyone the commander selects and tells to 'move' to the chair, to prevent greifing/trolling of the chair.

Like I said, just an idea.

Comments

• KazelKazel Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175939Members
    Sounds cool but would be difficult to implement and balance.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2012
    What does this add, as opposed to giving a marine said weapon and a jetpack? This allows marines to fly (like the drones) and basically.. it would be pretty much the same.

EDIT: Ah wait, I see now, you mean the player in the 'drone cc' gets the top-down view as well I think. I still don't really see how that would add anything to the game, giving 'bots' weapons - how would accuracy be handled?

Also, player vs entity is something UWE wants to keep to a minimum.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    It would be something different. It would also give marines something to leave behind and defend a power node. The player could leave bots at each critical location and if attacked, assume direct control over the drone and make a defense while reinforcements made their way there. If the drone isn't under control it could just sit there and be stupid as well.

Like I said, it was just an idea I had. It would be something to vary up the game play for marines.