A few small questions

hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
I have 3 unrelated questions that I thought I'd bunch together here for convenience sake. I noticed a <b>thermal distortion effect</b> around tech points and can't seem to find it amongst the cinematics, could someone tell me how that's done? Would be an awesome effect to have in my arsenal. Secondly, I've noticed a <b>loading screen</b> on the dev-made maps and was wondering the same thing. Lastly, I was poking around in the cinematic editor and noticed some new features, the <b>physics emitter</b> has my curiousity peaked. Anyone know how to use it or what it does exactly? :)

Thanks

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited December 2012
    I can give you answer about loading screens. In NS2 directory there is a folder called "screens". For each map there is a folder with map name (with prefix!, tested) containing 4 .jpg pictures called "1", "2", "3", "4". Those are the loading screens. The official ones have resolution 1920x1200. In my map I am using 1280x1024 because I can't take larger screenshots and they work fine, but they are little bit resampled in-game though.

It perfectly works with publisher folder structure. Unfortunately, the custom loading screens only show up when starting local server. When connecting to modded server, there will be default artworks.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    The "thermal distortion" may actually just be an artifact of LOW particles :P Does it go away when you put particles on HIGH?
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2049681:date=Dec 22 2012, 02:35 AM:name=SteveRock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveRock @ Dec 22 2012, 02:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The "thermal distortion" may actually just be an artifact of LOW particles :P Does it go away when you put particles on HIGH?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, yeah it almost completely goes away with particle quality on high. That's funny, I wonder if there's a way to reproduce that effect? It really does look like hot air.

Also, thanks rudy.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Hmm not a bad idea...I'll add it to my list.
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    Figured I'll just put my question here since I already have a thread for it. I don't know who's working on the level editor, I assume it's you Steve. I was wondering if you could add a function where when you flip a set of geometry across an axis and the texture lock is on, the textures would switch to appropriate angles. Doesn't have to keep the alignment, but that addition would really improve my workflow on certain rooms. Thanks for reading, hope it's not too much trouble :)