Alien high speed movement stuttering

ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Has anybody else been seeing an issue where the game stutters randomly while moving very fast as an alien? I've been getting it for a few builds now - it's most noticeable as a Celerity Lerk, or a Celerity Skulk walljumping. I don't know if it's actually related to high speeds but I suspect it's just more noticeable that way - I think it's a form of rubberbanding because at its worst I'll see myself actually warp backwards about a foot. It's very jarring and generally makes the game feel like crap when it happens. Is this something that happens to everybody?

Comments

• NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    Had this since I've started playing in beta, it's just a common issue with how interp works and everything has always felt delayed by 150ms in NS2 no matter what server you are in, that's why getting shot around corners is so common and grenades are difficult to use and not hit yourself with. When you move fast and have to touch the ground the game stutters for a second. Used to be worse before they had a patch that fixed geometry collision bugs. Interpolation with player and projectiles is like the #1 on my list on things that needs attention. If you play against the best players and try to engage as a solo lerk (note: don't do this) you will feel a landslide of hurt come down on you, you will hate yourself for deaths that feel like they are unavoidable. It only takes 1-2 seconds for a lerk to die to 2 rifles no matter how well you dodge, and if they have shotguns at mid range that's 2 75 damage shots and you are most likely already dead as soon as you can hear them behind you. If you are ever flying in one place and you know 2 marines are about to come around a corner, on their screen you are already dead.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I get it as a Fade and I think it's related to loading new areas of the map. I'll get a single hard stutter
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048931:date=Dec 20 2012, 07:12 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Dec 20 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anybody else been seeing an issue where the game stutters randomly while moving very fast as an alien? I've been getting it for a few builds now - it's most noticeable as a Celerity Lerk, or a Celerity Skulk walljumping. I don't know if it's actually related to high speeds but I suspect it's just more noticeable that way - I think it's a form of rubberbanding because at its worst I'll see myself actually warp backwards about a foot. It's very jarring and generally makes the game feel like crap when it happens. Is this something that happens to everybody?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this has always happened to me since beta. the only thing I know about it is on net_stats, my avg prediction goes from 4-5 frames to 10+ where it then rubberbands. actually haven't noticed it much this patch, it's always been steadily improving (used to happen every time I jumped as alien).