Santa let the x-mas elves out!

whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">aka bazillions of new players</div>I just commanded the first game where I was one of the only veteran players on the server. Greenhorns everywhere - and suprise - it was rather AWESOME!

I really enjoyed to not get a single complaint from anyone joining the game so far. The NS Community was mostly friendly and helping in every situation and this is another call to everyone to help the greenhorns out and welcome them, cause just like you in this position, they need someone to lead the way the first time to get the grip. Though my fingers burned from typing like a flash (mic got scrambled) most of the people really enjoyed following a bunch of orders and playing as team. Many people didnt get certain game mechanics, especially phasegates or map conquer logistics, but they instantly fit their roles when given and learned quick.

Sadly, most new players of the loosing team escaped via ragequit, but you can't serve everyone the first game. And if you are frustrated, keep going. Out of my experience from NS1 and 2, it CAN be frustrating at times, but certainly it is more enjoyable than most games out there on the long run.

So, welcome you guys and enjoy your stay!

Comments

• SmileCodeSmileCode Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175673Members
    I myself am basically a noob, or rookie if you want so (sounds better).
    Thanks to people like you that help and teach us, I really can enjoy game :-)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    you're lucky whoppa, most of the rookies i deal with are angry, stupid, and unwilling to learn, i get like 5 out of 50 people who are actual persons who want to learn how to play the game rather than spoil it. D:
  • DaeicaDaeica Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161595Members
    Yeah I've been having so much fun with all the new players, that I forgot about work in 4½ hours >.<

Yay for steam sales!
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2012
    It's not really fun if rookies go for the commander post if they are still green/wet behind their ears (i.e. didn't play the game for even 4 hours yet), though.

Being the commander is a responsible task and should not be obligated to those who didn't even get their heads behind all the mechanics of normal gameplay and had their own grunt experiences under experienced commanders.
    And similar to the Dungeon Master in D&D, the quality of the commander has a lot of influence on the fun of other players on the team. A commander that has no clue what he is doing can easily mess up the experience of all other players in his team for the duration of the match. And I've seen way more green commanders today than white ones… they were really struggling with some concepts (getting their team upgrades) or simply lacked to knowledge to make informed tactical decisions (one commander was trying to move ARCs actually directly into the heavily fortified Nanogrid, where it got instantly biled by a Gorge, instead of just leaving it in East Junction and harassing the aliens from a position where they didn't have the home advantage).

And it seems like aliens get stacked harder than ever these days (in a 8vs8 match can you expect 5 rookies on marines and maybe 2 on aliens). I guess the new players should have a proper first impression of this game's '"balance" soon… I really hope NS2 doesn't get the player retention problems that SMNC has.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    My only complaint towards new players, is when they turn rookie mode OFF because they think that either makes them automatically better, or they can't bare to have it on because "psst...see him, he's a rookie, point at him and laugh". Leave your green ON because it lets other people know you need help, there's NOTHING wrong with being new, everyone has to learn from somewhere, but please, don't make it extra hard on everyone and turn it off because it makes you uncomfortable or something.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    In all honesty, even though it sounds awful to tell players what to do/deny them a part of the game, there SHOULD be a note somewhere telling people NOT TO COMMAND until they have a hundred hours or so on the clock. Unless of course nobody else is willing to take the job. (Which is 9/10 times marine side, lol...)
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048919:date=Dec 20 2012, 08:03 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Dec 20 2012, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In all honesty, even though it sounds awful to tell players what to do/deny them a part of the game, there SHOULD be a note somewhere telling people NOT TO COMMAND until they have a hundred hours or so on the clock. Unless of course nobody else is willing to take the job. (Which is 9/10 times marine side, lol...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aye, been running into all these creeps who puff their chests when it comes to commanding (and by puff, I mean jump into the command chair like they were born in it). The servers full of greenies can be damn near helpless unless there's 2 or more vets in there.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm fine with rookie's commanding, on rookie servers only.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I join rookie servers to help rookies by either commanding, or being that guy who tells the rookie what he should do and why.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I see no problem in rookies commanding. I think that, if nobody wants to comm, the person who should go commander is the person with the absolute least amount of experience. First of all, it is obviously the fastest (and only) way to learn how to comm. Secondly, it actually makes you a much better ground player as well, because you learn maps easier, see the mistakes people make from a much better angle, and generally understand what comms do and don't want you yo do.

The real problem is people who get so fed up after losing a single round that they either endeavor to stack the other team for the remainder of their days, leave the server entirely and never return, or worst of all, grief the server in an attempt to regain their lost dignity for dying to opponents with more tech.