NS2HughmoD

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited April 2013 in Modding
<h1 style="font-size:24px;text-align:center">[color=#FF0000]NS[/color][color=#FF8C00]2H[/color][color=#FFFF00]ug[/color][color=#2E8B57]hn[/color][color=#0000FF]ic[/color][color=#4B0082]or[/color][color=#9932CC]nm[/color][color=#FF0000]oD[/color]</h1>

<p>This mod replaces NS2 vanilla sounds with Hugh's (Strayan from UWE) lovely soothing voice and is now updated for b245.</p>
<p>[b][u]Workshop Link[/u][/b]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138291997</p>
<p>[b][u]Workshop ID[/u][/b]

83e2b1d</p>

<p>[b][u]Changelog[/u][/b]

Current total: 190 unique hugh sounds

========

Build 5

========

- Compatible with 245

- Disabled disguting mainmenu newsbox

- Updated mainmenu cinematic </p>

<p>[b][u]Soundboard[/u][/b]

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/ns2hughsoundboard
</p>
<p>[b]Credits and Attributions[/b]

Manual Labour: Endar

Original Hughnicorn: Obraxis

Menu Music: The Unicorn Song - Peter, Paul & Mary
</p>

Comments

• DerAkademikerDerAkademiker Join Date: 2012-12-19 Member: 175540Members
    Hey elodea, can you help me out? I'm searching for the menu music file, and weapons, and impact-sounds...I looked inside the '/ns2/sound' fsb-files, but did only find NS1-weapon sounds and more or less random stuff, not really organized.
    Where are they located, and can I just repack the fsb-files to change them?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048017:date=Dec 20 2012, 12:59 AM:name=DerAkademiker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DerAkademiker @ Dec 20 2012, 12:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey elodea, can you help me out? I'm searching for the menu music file, and weapons, and impact-sounds...I looked inside the '/ns2/sound' fsb-files, but did only find NS1-weapon sounds and more or less random stuff, not really organized.
    Where are they located, and can I just repack the fsb-files to change them?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Basically, the lua and/or cinematics point to the .fev files, and the .fev files point to the .fsb files. ns2/sound/NS2.fsb, alien.fsb, music.fsb etc. hold all the sound bank data that NS2 uses. I'm not sure how you're looking inside of them (i know there's an fsb extractor program out there) so i don't know why its coming up with ns1 sounds and random stuff for you. Possibly because you are bypassing the .fev file which basically organizes the .fsb files. *if you open up all the ns1 lua files in notepad++ and do a search for "ns2.fev", you'll see that the sounds are all there in a structured format.

Afaik, the only way to modify/repack the fsb files is to have the original fmod project file (.fdp) in order to edit the sound bank. In this case its probably something like NS2.fdp. Because we don't have the project file (hasn't been released), in order to change or add whatever sounds we want, we need to make a new fmod project with a new .fev and .fsb, and add/replace with the appropriate destinations into the lua e.g. sound/modifiedns2sounds.fev/alien/gorge_spit. You can do this using fmod designer 4.32.00 <a href="http://www.fmod.org/index.php/download/find/designer" target="_blank">http://www.fmod.org/index.php/download/find/designer</a>

There are a few other versions of fmod you can use, but NS2 is really finnicky about it and i never bothered to see which ones exactly.

Hope that helps somewhat.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah I have Fmod, and I can see and play all the sounds inside the NS2.fev, it's just that I can't find the actual sounds. There's no NS2.fsb inside the folder. The NS2.fev contents say they are pointed to marine_2.fsb for example, but they aren't in there.

So how do you change the sounds? You start a new project and modify the .lua files?

Nice choice of hugh's screams BTW :D

EDIT: I wrote an E-Mail to Charlie yesterday about the project files, I hope they'll publish them...would be much easier to get all the logic behind it.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048033:date=Dec 20 2012, 01:42 AM:name=DerAkademiker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DerAkademiker @ Dec 20 2012, 01:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I have Fmod, and I can see and play all the sounds inside the NS2.fev, it's just that I can't find the actual sounds. There's no NS2.fsb inside the folder. The NS2.fev contents say they are pointed to marine_2.fsb for example, but they aren't in there.

So how do you change the sounds? You start a new project and modify the .lua files?

Nice choice of hugh's screams BTW :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    my bad!! I just looked and there isn't an ns2.fsb file :p. I do see a marine_2.fsb file though. Maybe you need to do the steam verify game integrity? Might be missing files :o.

And yea, that's how i change the sounds - start a new fmod project and modify the relevant .lua files to point to my own fev. If you figure out a way to directly change the .fsb files without the fmod project file however, please let me know =D.

*Also do hope we get the project file.
    The marine_2.fsb is there, but the specified sounds are not inside it (using this tool <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118938)" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...owtopic=118938)</a>
    Maybe it's bugged, dunno.

The project files would make things so much easier. I guess direct editing is only possible with those files. But 2 people suggested a workaround here <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=126145" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=126145</a> (one said hotloading, one said repacking with Fmod), but I didn't try it yet. Because I don't know where the friggin' sounds are, that I'm searching for :D

Alright thanks for the tips so far, I'll let you know if Charlie replies.
    edited December 2012
    Alright, one more question.
    I managed to change weapon sounds now with an own project and modifying the lua files. Works good, thanks a lot.
    But the menu music is still a mystery to me. Where the hell is it located? It sais nothing about menu music .fev in the lua files. Did you find it?

EDIT: I can only change the menu loop, but the music will play nonetheless...
    <!--quoteo(post=2048330:date=Dec 20 2012, 12:28 PM:name=DerAkademiker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DerAkademiker @ Dec 20 2012, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright, one more question.
    I managed to change weapon sounds now with an own project and modifying the lua files. Works good, thanks a lot.
    But the menu music is still a mystery to me. Where the hell is it located? It sais nothing about menu music .fev in the lua files. Did you find it?

EDIT: I can only change the menu loop, but the music will play nonetheless...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For some reason the way NS2 loads up music is different to the way it loads up sounds. I havn't figured out how the playmusic command points to specific files.

Anyway, one way to stop it from playing is to just delete line 93 and 99 in mainmenu.lua. Client.StopMusic(mainMenuMusic)
    Client.PlayMusic(mainMenuMusic)

Also you may encounter that some sounds are triggered via the cinematics. You need to open the relevant cinematic up in the cinematic editor, then change the playsound event (usually in first keyframe of first listed scene object).
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    This is the best mod ever. I especially love the sentryspawn/robo factory ones.
    edited December 2012
    Thanks elodea. Enough off-topic, I'll make another thread when there's more to ask.

Your NS2HD mod is cool, I hate looking at that pic though.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    As far as I can tell there is no servers running this mod, or they forgot to have it searchable in their name. :(
    Good news, have a look at the patch notes!
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Amazing work, can't wait to see a better demo video!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    YOU HAVE TO UPDATE THIS FOR B265 PLEAAAAASSEEEE!!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Please update it! I only found out about this about 10 minute ago, and I NEEEEDDDD it!!!
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Oh my, yes, this must happen!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Don't see Elodea updating this, or the Mario one.

But here's the soundboard: https://www.soundboard.com/sb/ns2hughsoundboard
    I recommend the taunts, the robo and marine/alien deaths and most importantly, hive death.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    We have the soundboard earlier, this si what I shared with everyone, what we need is this mod resurrected :D
    why? It's only going to break every time there's a new build.

You'd be better off starting your own company like the combat guys if you wanted to avoid wasting time trying to keep the mod stable.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    elodea wrote: »
    why? It's only going to break every time there's a new build.

You'd be better off starting your own company like the combat guys if you wanted to avoid wasting time trying to keep the mod stable.

+ it would not pass any consistency check + it would cause issue for any win xp user ...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver