Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 234 is now live on Steam!

Comments

• NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited December 2012
    Already noticed <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->I have some suggestions and observations<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

1. <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->How about an<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> OFF option for particles, <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->along with the reduced option?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    2. <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->It appears you can still sometimes produce the full speed camo bug<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    3. <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->It would have been fun if the snow was in the menu map as well!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    4. <b><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->I have this sneaking suspicion that the mods are editing this because they think I'm being rude.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>

<b><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->This post may have been edited by your friendly neighbourhood mod<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    you can turn particles off, and camo fix is in changelog.....
    and not seeing spores could be problematic at times...
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    They have not completely fix the camo full speed "exploit" I can still do it as a lerk and fade.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    Your favourated servers are now the first ones to get updated when you click update :) i like it :)
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047898:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:17 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Dec 19 2012, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We had to cancel because spontaneously people couldn't connect because the client and server differed. And then the server we played on, couldn't be updated while people were waiting to play.

All I am asking for is the ability to choose when to update to 234, instead of being forced to do so. The first patch after 1.0 was perfect - I could even go back to the previous release if (when) killer bugs made the new build playable. I'm not sure why UWE has chosen to ignore this built-in system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can already disable automatic updating from steam. Just select the game and go to properties and updates, change "keep this game up-to-date" to "do not update this game automatically".
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047898:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:17 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Dec 19 2012, 06:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We had to cancel because spontaneously people couldn't connect because the client and server differed. And then the server we played on, couldn't be updated while people were waiting to play.

All I am asking for is the ability to choose when to update to 234, instead of being forced to do so. The first patch after 1.0 was perfect - I could even go back to the previous release if (when) killer bugs made the new build playable. I'm not sure why UWE has chosen to ignore this built-in system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty sure nobody forces either the client, or the server to update. I think you are looking for things to complain about.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Oh wow, rebalanced Refinery....pure win!
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    So our server was updated and is now incapable of running games. It's currently up to Client Script Error # 17,xxx and rising 10 a second.

We pretty much can't use our E keys in server, join comm chair on either side, etc..
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047879:date=Dec 18 2012, 10:37 PM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Dec 18 2012, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't speak to any certainty here, but I think you only do the "really long, multiple loads" thing once. Just like the first time you loaded the game, something that probably slipped your mind since.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got the "first load" precache message which took ages to complete and the regular precache message which went by relatively fast. I'm also certain it did not take 3+ minutes for the "first" precache process to complete prior to the patch, but who knows maybe it was a one-off. I sometimes get disk thrashing whenever NS2 does it precache the first time around, but pretty certain I didn't hear my drive going haywire.

<!--quoteo(post=2047880:date=Dec 18 2012, 10:37 PM:name=warbucks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (warbucks @ Dec 18 2012, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about using one of the many different ways to control volume on a computer? Bloody scrooge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I could, but why should I inconvenience myself for something annoyingly added to the game? I don't have any problem with the entire Christmas motif, hell I love Killing Floor Christmas, but this is obnoxious. Besides what's the point of a music slider if it doesn't...you know, control music volume?
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    OK, love to see all the fixes, but am I seeing right...? No balance changes? Just how badly do marines have to keep getting beaten before we see changes?

/sigh
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047924:date=Dec 18 2012, 09:35 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 18 2012, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK, love to see all the fixes, but am I seeing right...? No balance changes? Just how badly do marines have to keep getting beaten before we see changes?

/sigh<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They still have one limb left. Gotta break that last arm.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Has nobody else noticed the re-done Refinery? Much better for marines, tho I think the power node still being at lava is kinda dumb, but at least you can easily deny them one of those nodes, plus I've noticed keeping up on res as marines is way easier with the new layout.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    Played one round in refinery as Marine Comm against an alien team starting out in turbine in KKG #2 and we smoked the aliens (sorry mclovin). I like the changes so far but I will have to play a bit more before I form a good impression of it. Went to jump into random to start a new game and crashed, needed to sleep anyway. :P

Also, I seem to not hitch as bad in heavy combat, so that is a big plus.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    Dedicated server with password will spamming this (Disabling the ns2stats will solve this while console says: NS2Stats won't get loaded due new untested build.
    NS2Stats will get updated soonish and be auto-enabled.):
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[Server] Script Error #224: lua/RBPSlogic.lua:87: attempt to index global 'RBPSconfig' (a nil value)
        Call stack:
        #1: oneSecondTimer lua/RBPSlogic.lua:87
            self =  {DisableOnPreUpdate=function, DisableOnUpdatePhysics=function, DisableOnUpdateRender=function, GetAngles=function, GetAttachPoint=function, GetAttachPointCoords=function, GetAttachPointIndex=function, GetChildAtIndex=function, GetClassName=function, GetCoords=function, GetDistance=function, GetDistanceSquared=function, GetDistanceXZ=function, GetId=function, GetIsDestroyed=function, GetIsMapEntity=function, GetIsVisible=function, GetLagCompensated=function, GetMapName=function, GetNumChildren=function, GetOrigin=function, GetParent=function, GetParentId=function, OnCreate=function, OnDestroy=function, OnGetIsRelevant=function, OnInitialized=function, OnInvalidOrigin=function, OnParentChanged=function, OnProcessMove=function, OnThink=function, OnUpdate=function, OverrideInput=function, PlaySound=function, Propagate_Always=0, Propagate_Callback=3, Propagate_Mask=2, Propagate_Never=1, SetAngles=function, SetAttachPoint=function, SetCoords=function, SetExcludeRelevancyMask=function, SetIncludeRelevancyMask=function, SetIsVisible=function, SetLagCompensated=function, SetMapEntity=function, SetNextThink=function, SetOrigin=function, SetParent=function, SetPhysicsBoundingBox=function, SetPropagate=function, SetRelevancyDistance=function, SetUpdates=function, StopSound=function, UpdatePhysicsBoundingBox=function, gameEnded=function, gameLogic=function, gameReset=function, gameStart=function, getAmountOfRealPlayers=function, init=function, invalidId=-1, isa=function, kMapName="RBPS", oneSecondTimer=function, playerUpdates=function, resLogic=function, resendLogic=function, tournamentModeLogic=function }
        #2: lua/RBPSlogic.lua:120<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Cant join the server (but connect xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port password will work or waiting that browser will update your favorite server)... because I cant type the password via server browser. And yes it will work normally when I remove the password
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047924:date=Dec 18 2012, 09:35 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 18 2012, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK, love to see all the fixes, but am I seeing right...? No balance changes? Just how badly do marines have to keep getting beaten before we see changes?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe they said in the new year

<!--quoteo(post=2047928:date=Dec 18 2012, 09:44 PM:name=Mavick)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mavick @ Dec 18 2012, 09:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has nobody else noticed the re-done Refinery? Much better for marines, tho I think the power node still being at lava is kinda dumb, but at least you can easily deny them one of those nodes, plus I've noticed keeping up on res as marines is way easier with the new layout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, think marines now have 2 res nodes right outside their base, one of the nodes is taken from the two in the middle of lava falls and is moved down so its on the marine side of those big boxes. The other node is in exchange. Will be interesting to see how it works out for aliens, marines obviously should do better.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2047938:date=Dec 19 2012, 03:31 AM:name=LilbitHeartless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LilbitHeartless @ Dec 19 2012, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe they said in the new year<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I thought that was for new features. Honestly, it doesn't take much to tweak balance. It's not hard to do. It's more a mental exercise than one of programming. They know the balance is off, so why wait? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's really disappointing that we'll have to wait another month before we see a single balance patch.
  • CsaeCsae Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172145Members
    The new patch has introduced some weird bugs like not being able to have a commander on both teams, server disconnections, but overall my performance has improved by remaining steadier.

Meaning if i normally have 30fps, i only drop to 20 in combat, not 2. So its actually alot more playable now :D went 5-0 as a skulk, was able to take on groups of 2 marines again :D
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    •Fixed bug where blink continued and was showing the trail effect when the Fade was already dead.

I actually saw this happen in a game last night w/ the new build so it still happens. Shot and killed a fade as he was trying to blink away w/ the pistol and as I came up to the spot where he died I could still see the blink silhouette hovering in the air.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2047946:date=Dec 19 2012, 08:24 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 19 2012, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought that was for new features. Honestly, it doesn't take much to tweak balance. It's not hard to do. It's more a mental exercise than one of programming. They know the balance is off, so why wait? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's really disappointing that we'll have to wait another month before we see a single balance patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hm I dont know maybe it's not the worst thing to let metagame evolve for some time. Probably some problems are gonna fix themselves while others become more obvious.

E.g. Fade was regarded as unplayable underpowered since release. But for the last 4 weeks more and more really good Fade players start to appear. By now you cant really buff Fade without enabling good players to solo dminate whole pubs(actually there are some people capable of doing this right now getting ridiculous 50-2 scores as Fades)
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Improved Favorites functionality in the server browser. Favorites are now displayed at the top of the list by default and will refresh much faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you thank you thank you!
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047913:date=Dec 18 2012, 11:57 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Dec 18 2012, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty sure nobody forces either the client, or the server to update. I think you are looking for things to complain about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The system they used for the first patch post 1.0 was perfect. It allowed people to try out the new patch and find the bugs, while still being able to play the "stable" version of the game. Already people have reported several bugs (in this thread) with 234. Am I expecting it to be perfect? Nope, and I'm glad they're making fixes and the like. Just give people who want to test them a week to play with the new build and discover them.

Nope, nothing forces the server to update. If there was an auto-update there, as there is with the client, this would perhaps be easier. As it stands there is no notice that a patch is coming, they just drop spontaneously. For the majority of players who just enjoy this game whenever, this isn't too much of a problem, but when you're organizing a dozen people's schedules and suddenly no one can play because a patch came out, it sucks.

The other point - that you can set steam to disable auto-updating - I can enforce that on my team, but can't enforce it on the other teams.

Am I looking for things to complain about? I'm complaining because they had a system that worked and they're not using it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2048026:date=Dec 19 2012, 02:27 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Dec 19 2012, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nope, nothing forces the server to update. If there was an auto-update there, as there is with the client, this would perhaps be easier. As it stands there is no notice that a patch is coming, they just drop spontaneously.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is a way though... You could have simply copy pasted your 233 build into a different folder/drive and start it from there sing the ns2.exe. That one wouldn't get updated, even if UWE releases a new patch. Or disable Steam updates, but that way you'd only see if a new patch is available if you join a server that has been updated (or watch the forums/UWE website)
    <!--quoteo(post=2048026:date=Dec 19 2012, 04:27 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Dec 19 2012, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The system they used for the first patch post 1.0 was perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you implying that the first patch post 1.0 had no bugs?
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    Add the ability to turn off the stupid music
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048036:date=Dec 19 2012, 08:47 AM:name=Koven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koven @ Dec 19 2012, 08:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Add the ability to turn off the stupid music<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, I really wish they would allow us to adjust the sounds better.

I can barely hear anyone talk on their mics over some of the music, especially like Bar.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2047926:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:39 AM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Dec 19 2012, 06:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They still have one limb left. Gotta break that last arm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

rather more hack it off and devour it.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048035:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:44 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Dec 19 2012, 06:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you implying that the first patch post 1.0 had no bugs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Reading comprehension fail.
  • BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047924:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:35 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 19 2012, 06:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK, love to see all the fixes, but am I seeing right...? No balance changes? Just how badly do marines have to keep getting beaten before we see changes?

/sigh<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's bad marine commanders and bad marine players that cause that. Nothing or barely anything to balance here.

Why am I so confident? Because I've commanded these players and been under the command of these atrocious commanders.

Marine players are way too passive in the start of games and a lot of the times just way too bad at shooting and moving.

Move along.

EDIT; Great job getting a patch out before the holidays. Good stuff with a new particles option.

If any devs happen to read this, will anything be done about cysts? They are currently <i>very</i> performance demanding.
    A room with 5-8 cysts nukes mine and others performance immediately. This is without anything else in the room.
    I have no idea why they are so demanding, no programming knowledge on my part but it seems odd. Those small things?

Hope you can look into it.

Much love UWE!
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love this patch, I can actually play the game again.
    <!--quoteo(post=2048046:date=Dec 19 2012, 04:59 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Dec 19 2012, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reading comprehension fail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ask yourself what country you are from, and if you should maybe reconsider which languages you want to profess knowledge in.