Winning as marines in 233

spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">The key is the exo</div>So, by no means am I an experienced com or any good at it but here's a formula that has worked pretty good, considering that people get hybris galore in an exo and try rambo-ing alone :) Apparently it's hard to hear orders inside those machines...
I haven't had the chance to try this on a large server, mainly 6vs6 and 8vs8 so I don't know if it's valid for 10vs10 or more.

1) Get 1 or 2 RT:s and the armory.
2) I get arms lab first and then the observatory... not sure of this is the best though.
3) Research weapons 1, now the team has an early advantage.
4) Build obs and decide where to go for a second base.
5) Research PG.
6) Put second CC up.
7) Upgrade armoury and get 2 more RTs unless they are up already.
8) Prorotype lab. By now the team is struggling and wondering why we aren't doing it the same old way that never works, calling me names and quitting.
9) Hold on! Time to tell the team whats going on. Hang in there!
10) Research exo.
11) Build a robot factory.
12) Research MAC speed. Macs are a bit stupid so you'll need the speed to compensate and replace the destroyed ones.
13) Beacon the team to the proto-lab, get --everybody-- in an exo and pump out 4-8 MACS.
14) Choose which way to go.... scan all the time and drive MACs, kill hives, have fun, drink mildly alcoholic beverages.
15) Don't stick around and build up, that will just slow down the blitz and give the aliens a chance to retaliate at your base, just ignore everything and hit the hives.
16) Win.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>All the time up to the EXO-train is ready I ignore requests for weapons and crap..... No mines, no welders and certainly no shotguns. I'm forcing my rines to save their res.</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
If you don't loose too many RTs you can beat the aliens well before they get an Onos (end even if they do get 1 or 2 it wont be a problem).

For the last 30 rine games I've played, the rines won 7. I commanded 4 of those. With this strategy. OK, not enough data to say
it will stand a really good alien team but in the last game we recovered after an early rush that took out our IP, we turned and did this.
And then the EXOs blundered off and died in all directions. But one guy listened and backed by another marine and 4 macs he took out one hive
and met up another stray exo and took the last with the rest of the marines joining the last minute. I've failed with this strategy as well on 2 occasions.
Since you stretch thin in the beginning you only get one go at it. If you loose too many exos against WP aliens it's FUBAR and F4-time.
Players need to stay with the macs, otherwise it's bye-bye.

My point is: the EXO is the only thing powerful enough to take on the aliens. A lerk will gas the crap out of an unprotected rine not to mention one WP fade can win the day by itself. What to do? EXO-train. Nothing new but what you sacrifice to get there quick enough is, I dare say.
You can get to exos in 115 res total. Add 50 for weapons 1 and armour 1. Add 75 for PG between 2 points. Add 50 for 4 fast MACs.
Add one extra IP and a few obs and armories, lets say 60. Now, if you spend res on shotguns, mines, welders and worst of all - guns,
that will amount to somthing like 20+10+15+20+25=90 (not sure!) but above all, your marines would have spent their allowance and what you got
to show for it? The usual endgame.

I hope someone who has similar experience can join in, or try it a few times and see what happens.

Comments

• spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    Sorry, I keep editing it, done now :)
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046412:date=Dec 15 2012, 04:34 PM:name=spacedaniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spacedaniel @ Dec 15 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->certainly no shotguns/mines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah. You're terrible at comm. Enough said.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No mines, no welders and certainly no shotguns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#meta
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046412:date=Dec 15 2012, 04:34 PM:name=spacedaniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spacedaniel @ Dec 15 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, by no means am I an experienced com or any good at it but here's a formula that has worked pretty good, considering that people get hybris galore in an exo and try rambo-ing alone :) Apparently it's hard to hear orders inside those machines...
    I haven't had the chance to try this on a large server, mainly 6vs6 and 8vs8 so I don't know if it's valid for 10vs10 or more.

1) Get 1 or 2 RT:s and the armory.
    2) I get arms lab first and then the observatory... not sure of this is the best though.
    3) Research weapons 1, now the team has an early advantage.
    4) Build obs and decide where to go for a second base.
    5) Research PG.
    6) Put second CC up.
    7) Upgrade armoury and get 2 more RTs unless they are up already.
    8) Prorotype lab. By now the team is struggling and wondering why we aren't doing it the same old way that never works, calling me names and quitting.
    9) Hold on! Time to tell the team whats going on. Hang in there!
    10) Research exo.
    11) Build a robot factory.
    12) Research MAC speed. Macs are a bit stupid so you'll need the speed to compensate and replace the destroyed ones.
    13) Beacon the team to the proto-lab, get --everybody-- in an exo and pump out 4-8 MACS.
    14) Choose which way to go.... scan all the time and drive MACs, kill hives, have fun, drink mildly alcoholic beverages.
    15) Don't stick around and build up, that will just slow down the blitz and give the aliens a chance to retaliate at your base, just ignore everything and hit the hives.
    16) Win.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>All the time up to the EXO-train is ready I ignore requests for weapons and crap..... No mines, no welders and certainly no shotguns. I'm forcing my rines to save their res.</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    If you don't loose too many RTs you can beat the aliens well before they get an Onos (end even if they do get 1 or 2 it wont be a problem).

For the last 30 rine games I've played, the rines won 7. I commanded 4 of those. With this strategy. OK, not enough data to say
    it will stand a really good alien team but in the last game we recovered after an early rush that took out our IP, we turned and did this.
    And then the EXOs blundered off and died in all directions. But one guy listened and backed by another marine and 4 macs he took out one hive
    and met up another stray exo and took the last with the rest of the marines joining the last minute. I've failed with this strategy as well on 2 occasions.
    Since you stretch thin in the beginning you only get one go at it. If you loose too many exos against WP aliens it's FUBAR and F4-time.
    Players need to stay with the macs, otherwise it's bye-bye.

My point is: the EXO is the only thing powerful enough to take on the aliens. A lerk will gas the crap out of an unprotected rine not to mention one WP fade can win the day by itself. What to do? EXO-train. Nothing new but what you sacrifice to get there quick enough is, I dare say.
    You can get to exos in 115 res total. Add 50 for weapons 1 and armour 1. Add 75 for PG between 2 points. Add 50 for 4 fast MACs.
    Add one extra IP and a few obs and armories, lets say 60. Now, if you spend res on shotguns, mines, welders and worst of all - guns,
    that will amount to somthing like 20+10+15+20+25=90 (not sure!) but above all, your marines would have spent their allowance and what you got
    to show for it? The usual endgame.

I hope someone who has similar experience can join in, or try it a few times and see what happens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right now Exo's are pretty week in numbers over 15%-20% (15%-20% of the team). After that your just going to get out expanded or base rushed....... So Rushing Exo's is A strategy, but by no means the only one.... and not a very good one at that.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    For reference as to why this post is so absurd.

Mines give marines incredible control of whatever spot they hold. Good luck taking out marines when they're fighting you in an area surrounded by mines.

Shotguns in the hands of people who can actually aim (note: you have to have them on your team), are ridiculous - especially in pubs where skulk movement is awful. One player taking out 5-6 skulks in the span of about 15-20 seconds really isn't that uncommon. Unless the skulks all go in at the same time, one good player + a shotgun is just lol.

Welders pretty self explanatory to holding anything/letting marines push for longer.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This will work against bad teams who don't react with gorges and bile bombs.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    He's working off of data and results, not just suggestions. So it's a little folly to instantly dismiss his strategy. And keep in mind, no matter how good <b>you</b> are with shotguns or mines, you're working with a whole team there. And by law of averages, some of those people aren't going to be quite as good (except if they're given the controls of a super-powered piece of armor).

It's also a bit of a leap to conclusions to evaluate exos through numbers. They don't have to reload, and they have infinite ammo - that alone is a pretty powerful advantage, especially when you're able to clear out an entire enemy base <b>from a distance</b>.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP hit failures that caused him to change his strategy. But I also wouldn't knock it if you haven't tried it.
  • JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    This will work in certain circumstances and not with large numbers of players normally. And if you have even a moderately intelligent alien comm with 2 hives and bile bomb those macs will die with a few bile bombs and meanwhile 1-2 skulks will kill every resource node or better yet bile bomb your base into oblivion while your Exos are walking slowly around the map.

Not to mention that your exos will have virtually no HP or armor at this point and a few bile bombs and skulks will tear thru them like tissue paper while your MACs die by the dozens. A competent alien team will totally ruin that plan, if you have around half or more do it though and leave the rest as faster responding light marines with welders your far more likely to come out ahead.

And later game there is really nothing faster than Phase Gate Marines with Jetpacks. There are times when things like this will work, but once a comm has seen you do it once your likely going to find it much harder to repeat against them. And it definitely will not work on servers of 16-24 unless the aliens are brain dead. They will know that you are all going around the map in exos and will just counter with a base rush of their own rather than try to engage your exos head on. With no one to Beacon to base your already toast before you make any real progress.
  • WitchcraftTheEvertrollingWitchcraftTheEvertrolling Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175185Members
    Funny Idea, but it wont work out against half decent aliens. You basically suggest to skip lots of armor, weapon upgrades, put everyone into an exo. Unsupported exos with armor upgrade 1 arent even nearly as strong as supported endgame exos. Macs arent a real help because they just instadie against bilebombs. Also your base is extremely vulnerable. If you got only exos u cant use beacon. And 2 gorges will destroy your entire base faster then ur exo train if rest of alien team keeps them busy. With ur skipping of mines and shotties, its easy for decent alien teams to harass you like hell and secure nearly full mapcontrol (especially on maps like veil). If your exotrain die, ur screwed.

It might be a nice surprise tactic like early Arctrain, but its kind of "cheese", might work 1 time against half skilled opponents, but they wont let you do it again.
  • SaltSalt Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2046431:date=Dec 15 2012, 05:08 PM:name=Idleray)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Idleray @ Dec 15 2012, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046431"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This will work against bad teams who don't react with gorges and bile bombs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is also the exact same tactic you'd use against mines.. so hurdurp.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    I read this topic as: "Winning as marines in 223, The key is the exo"

I thought it was a bite radius joke...
    Not just another idiot advising people how to lose the game.
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I can't imagine this working often, but would be interesting to see a video of it happening all the same
  • SoulfighterSoulfighter Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167432Members
  • ninjabusdriverninjabusdriver Join Date: 2003-09-03 Member: 20534Members
    edited December 2012
    OP: I realize your intentions are good, but I think your strategy is misguided. The best counter to exos I've seen on pubs is to have a few people harass them, while the rest of the team goes and targets their main base's power. Either the comm beacons all the squishies back (leaving exposed exos for the aliens to mop up) or he sacrifices his main base (which is huge). Your strategy only works if the aliens focus fire on the exos, and lose, and also avoid using Bile Bomb (which is an amazing ability atm).

Honestly, I wish I could give Exos to only two players, and forbid the rest of the team from having them. They're just too big of a liability and too slow in a game where mobility is huge.

EDIT: Also, I think people here should be more polite. Even if the OP is wrong as all get out, I think we can still be civil. This isn't Xbox live.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2046412:date=Dec 15 2012, 05:34 PM:name=spacedaniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spacedaniel @ Dec 15 2012, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->8) Prorotype lab. By now the team is struggling and wondering why we aren't doing it the same old way that never works, calling me names and quitting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For good reason.

It might be beneficial for the servers you play on to uninstall, or at least stay as far from the com chair as possible.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    Sounds like fun, glad to see people trying some different stuff out there. If my team did that I think it would be a good time even if we lost!
  • Exodus19Exodus19 Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167601Members
    This is probably one of the best strats I've ever seen posted on this forum......I want to see more pubbers using this as much as possible!
  • awwwsnapawwwsnap Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160066Members
    Eh, this has been thought of/done before. The reason it's an unconventional strategy is because its really high risk. If you fail, or aliens counter you by getting some onoses, bilebomb, and maybe xenocide if they can stretch the game out that long. Nice to see people trying new things though when other things just aren't working for them.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    Finally, an OP comm with my strategic sensibility. I don't even drop any buildings until I've saved enough resources to build them all at once.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    so easy to counter...... aliens simply sacrifice a hive to slow moving exos and wipe out marine bases one by one...
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Not a bad plan. But stuff like this usually works because it is not generally seen. A good alien team would counter the cluster of exos/MACS and gorges would BB. Exos cannot hit me if they are often clustered and only survive if a marine with a jetpack keeps spamming nades under them. But in pubs it would probably work well as long as they do not see it coming.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046536:date=Dec 15 2012, 11:10 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Dec 15 2012, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so easy to counter...... aliens simply sacrifice a hive to slow moving exos and wipe out marine bases one by one...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With balanced teams, marines won't get to exos because they won't hold 2 tech points when lerks and fades start coming out... without shotguns (Ilold?).

Rushing jetpacks works decently well (sacrifice PG and/or arms lab to get them out fast).

I've never seen rushing exos work. Ever.

Unless the teams are stacked of course. If the teams are stacked, a com can win by doing anything, even little to nothing.
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    edited December 2012
    Ah, well where to start...

-I only play pub servers. So what I'm saying is only applicable there as far as I know.

-Stacking, yes as long as the marines are stacked at least one they can win, sometimes easy, unless the alien com is a good one. However the games played were not stacked but even, at least right up until the aliens give up after loosing 2 hives in short succession. I do not count rine 2+ stacked games as a "win"...

-Sorry if it was unclear but if I have the res I do keep upgrading weapons and armour. From A1+W1 to A1+W3 its 60 res, which is usually what I do to keep rines effective. But for EXOs I tend to go armour first (same amount of res) or even with A2+W2 (50 res) and then if needed, or for fun, the last 70 res for full upgrades.

-If the team handles itself, I might get a few arcs but they are useless compared to the train. Merely for fun.

-Many of the counter arguments posted I have already commented on in the original post.
    *Yes it is hazardous.
    *Yes the alien will counter with attacking your bases that's why you do not stop even for clearing crap out. Think blitz. France 1940. If they get your second base, so what, you have the EXOs on the field already and the time it takes for a hive to grow you can deal with it. The aliens need to correctly identify what you are doing, and frankly this is so "stupid" they rarely do, and then attack all your bases at the same time.
    *Yes bilebombs are a problem but in the time this attack is going on you'd meet, on pub servers, a maximum of 3 gorges against 6+ exos.
    *Yes shotguns can take out skulks... then what? It's not early game that's the problem, it's mid and late. And you need players that can aim.
    *Yes mines work... as a defense. This is all about a sacrifice offense, a suicide squeeze if you will.
    *Yes it might not work... but that goes for the usual set up as well. Why not have fun in the process?

-Usually by the time the train has gotten halfway around the map there's enough resources to upgrade everything else. In case it doesn't work.
    So if it all collpases the rines can have shotties and JPs and be happy all the way through loosing yet another end game.

-As someone said, "sounds fun", it is! It's mini-guns for crying out loud :) Lots of them!

-You are welcome to calling me a crap commander, I'd be the first to agree.

-My name is Daniel, loving husband, father of one, I work as a mechanical engineer specializing in plastics and technical surfacing, I live in a small house just about the right size for my family, I enjoy running, writing and drawing. A few evenings each week I take an hour to play some NS.
    If you're going to call me an idiot, PM me and we can arrange a meeting so that you can do it in person if you still want to, otherwise... shut up.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    edited December 2012
    exo dont benefit from weapon upgrades, just rush armor 3

also

just keep building cc's with the macs after you kill a hive
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    Even a simple shotgun rush would be a better idea, and at least with that there's a bigger chance aliens are still on one hive and you can actually beacon your marines back when aliens decide to call the baserace. (which mind you they will win because all your marines are stuck in exos and they'll take longer to take out two hives than the aliens will take just destroying the power to 1 base)

That being said, at least it's good people are still trying 'new things' within the relatively shallow ns 2 strategic gameplay. When marines ###### about it, simply tell them it's boring to do the same thing every single game.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    edited December 2012
    I still maintain there are two factions in NS2: attackers, and losers. Ones who act, and ones who react. Nothing hurts the alien team more than a smartly aggressive marine team. While aliens' speed advantage lets them reach attacked locations quickly, they won't be capitalizing on marines' speed disadvantage (which is at its worst when marines have to react to threats on defense.)

While an exo rush strategy can work, it doesn't embrace the strongest upgrades of marines like mines.