Elephant Gun

Badass_BenBadass_Ben Join Date: 2012-11-23 Member: 173017Members
So, I have been playing NS2 since it came out and I love it. However, I feel, like some others on these forums, that the marines are somewhat disadvantaged. While there are many factors that contribute to this, I think the main issue is the inability of a Marine team in countering massed onos's. I remember reading in one post "a whole team of exo's is beatable; a team of onos's is not." I am a big time strategy player, and I believe that if there is something that is unbeatable it is, by definition, over powered. Basically I feel that marines are screwed over too hard by onos's. Exos are too expensive for their level of effectiveness imo and can be wasted by lower lifeforms pretty easily. Jet packs are nice, but they dont really counter onos. Looking at this from a strategy game standpoint, what is needed for marines is a dedicated anti-onos weapon that SUCKS vs anything else. Unit/class diversity should be superior to just having more bigger things.
My proposal: a Gauss rifle, purchasable at an advanced armory AFTER being researched at a proto lab. IM thinking it would operate in a similar manner to the gauss rifle of Halo 4: single shot, slight charge up before firing. It wouldnt so much do a HUGE amount of damage to onos as it would DRASTICALLY deplete the onos's energy, leaving it vulnerable and making it harder for it to escape. Hypothetically, a well managed team of all gauss rifle marines would beat an all onos team (whether it actually happened or not depends on player skill as it should be in a game). This would make onos only effective if supported by faster things to kill gauss marines. I know a railgun is in the works that I think would be an anti-onos weapon, but the gauss rifle would be a cheaper, soft counter, as bile bomb is to exos. In having an onos counter, things like the fade might also become more appealing
(side question: why can aliens by onos with one hive if they have the pres, but marines cant purchase exos with their own cash when down to one tech point?)

Comments

• DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Perhaps FT or GLs can deplete the onos energy a bit... that'll mean it has to play smarter?
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    FT already reduces energy regeneration..there you go.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited December 2012
    Honestly I like the idea of having a spartan-laser-like gun. Everyone is asking for a railgun and I think a timed-charge gun would be how to do it.

For this to actually be useful, this implies:
    This railgun would have to have drastically higher dps than other weapons; Onos is the definition of 'the broad side of a barn'. You don't miss an onos. It is a DPS dump/sink. And, if you look at all the weapons excepting the EXO's minigun, all weapons have almost exactly the same DPS. They just have different ways to distributing that DPS. So to reiterate, for this elephant gun to be more effective at killing onos than the LMG and everything else, it must have a much higher DPS, at the penalty of it's charge-up time.

This higher than normal DPS is fine and all for killing Onos that overstay their welcome, BUT this makes me worry about how easy it would be to kill
    buildings. Particularly the Hive. They don't move. Imagine the application of a few of these to a hive at 3-4x LMG DPS. Scary. It would be downed before an alien knew what hit em'.

So granted the elevated DPS, I would suggest giving it a damage type that is poorly effective at damaging buildings; boring. *yawn*
    How about this instead. Make it use it's ammo capacity VERY fast, say it can only store 3 shots before you have to go to an armory. But then that is easyly ignored by cheap ammo drops and armory placement. So, I think the coolest way to do this would be to let this thing have 4-5 shots *but its ammo cannot be refilled*. I would be a new class of desperate last-ditch hard-counter reaction weapons that isn't sustainable for all situations (and especially for killing buildings). Marines don't really have things like this, and it would give marines the option of a new kind item type; high-yield, short-term, purpose-specific solutions, instead of lesser weapon that can be picked up and passed around for @#$^ing generations (shotgun and the like)

(I also suggest a significantly lower move speed with this *giant* weapon, that would make it more defensive-oriented)
  • Badass_BenBadass_Ben Join Date: 2012-11-23 Member: 173017Members
    Your idea of making the gauss rifle a disposable weapon is interesting, but i am not sure I am in favor of it. I think if the marines needed to, they should be able to dedicate a player or 2 to pure anti-onos duty. The gauss rifle would have a powerful shot, but i feel like it would not be overpowered in terms of hives because of the ease a gauss marine could be killed by any life form other than an onos
    I had heard flamethrowers reduce regeneration, but its not nearly enough. To merely slow the regeneration is not enough, the marines need a weapon that DENIES energy to the aliens (onos specifically). THe bile bomb may not scare off an exo, but it gives ONE alien player the ability to make the exo at least think twice. A gauss rifle should do that for an onos.
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    How to stop Onos = Flame thrower + EMP blasting Mac units. suddenly all that energy is gone and so is their regen
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2045491:date=Dec 14 2012, 04:06 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 14 2012, 04:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How to stop Onos = Flame thrower + EMP blasting Mac units. suddenly all that energy is gone and so is their regen<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Beat me to it. But you never see EMP macs because of how much they cost to their little effect against Adrenaline users. (Adrenaline being the direct counter to the MAC's EMP.)

But if you do manage to burn an Onos after an EMP from a MAC, that Onos is dead. There's no more retreat.

It's all about teamwork, synergy, and yelling at each other.

EDIT: A previous suggestion somebody made was to make the EMP on the MACs ranged like the Drifter's enzymes. I'd like to see it as a targeted dart.