[BUG?!?] Crag hive sometimes doesn't upgrade?

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited December 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I'm not sure how to reproduce this, but it's happened to more than just me now; at least 3 people on the server "confirmed" it tonight - sometimes when you upgrade a crag hive, it doesn't actually finish/upgrade, and you can't get crag upgrades.

What is worse, you can't upgrade any hives to crag anymore for the rest of the round, I'm assuming because the game thinks that the crag hive has already been upgraded.

This is potentially very game-breaking and annoying, so if it's confirmed by other people please look at this for the patch next week (which will fix the consistency check problems as well).

I don't know how to reproduce; it just happened to me for the first time tonight and what I did was simply upgrade the second hive to crag. When I came back it wasn't upgraded, crag button was unavailable (blanked), but I could upgrade the same hive to shift or shade...

I've never heard of this happening before 233 by the way.

Comments

• SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    Never heard of it. This might be a tough one to track down. How consistently could you get them to fail? Like once ever? Once every 10 games? Any chance of recording a demo?
  • SydSyd Join Date: 2005-04-05 Member: 47594Members
    edited December 2012
    I've had this happen and I've seen it happen to other comms, no idea how to reproduce it though.

I'm quite sure it happened in 232.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Probably has something stupid to do with maturing on the exact same frame as the upgrade finishes.
  • iUsurperiUsurper Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170108Members
    Had this issue last night except we had no ability to make a shift hive. Tried going comm in both hives and with a bunch of different people but no love.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Weird, I've only ever seen/heard this happen when clicking on crag (i.e. aliens are left without crag for the rest of the game)...

Again, to the second post, I have no idea how to really track this one down. I've never recorded a demo, and I'm not sure if it will record the problem (especially if I'm not com), but I can try...

As far as the frequency, yeah, it's (luckily) very rare that this has happened, maybe one out of 10-15-20 games. I can't really tell because it's only recently that this has been brought to my attention. I'd only heard of it before, and honestly I kind of didn't believe it almost, but it actually happened to me yesterday.

Server where it happened has/had no mods running.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2045350:date=Dec 13 2012, 11:39 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Dec 13 2012, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2045350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Weird, I've only ever seen/heard this happen when clicking on crag (i.e. aliens are left without crag for the rest of the game)...

Again, to the second post, I have no idea how to really track this one down. I've never recorded a demo, and I'm not sure if it will record the problem (especially if I'm not com), but I can try...

As far as the frequency, yeah, it's (luckily) very rare that this has happened, maybe one out of 10-15-20 games. I can't really tell because it's only recently that this has been brought to my attention. I'd only heard of it before, and honestly I kind of didn't believe it almost, but it actually happened to me yesterday.

Server where it happened has/had no mods running.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, It's one of those things, with a lot of bugs, unless you can get them to happen in a controlled circumstance it's hard to figure out what went wrong. I'm sure it's a real bug, it's probably just one of those weird interactions. Good luck UWE :P

If this happens to happen to anyone, try to remember everything you can about the situation in which it happened (how many hives up? what was the chamber build order? did a hive die before hand? did you cancel any upgrades?) and post it here. More information might help narrow things down.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    never seen this happen before o.O
  • scanfieldscanfield Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175069Members
    Happened to us last night on one of the UWE servers on Veil.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    I've had it happen to me in an ensl gather.

We started a game as aliens. Immediately someone jumped in and started crag hive. iirc as soon as the hive finished becoming a crag hive, it wasn't actually a crag hive, and we couldn't build (as reported above) any crags/shells/etc and our res was eaten.

The way we fixed this was by resetting the map (votemap the same map). I think it might have something to do with finishing a game and having the map stay the same (Kind of like how sometimes marines keep their armor/weapon upgrades, or sometimes people's scores stay the same as the previous match's). We re-readied and we had the same problem two more times in a row prior to the map change.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    Speaking of glitches when the map doesn't change, I think something that should be looked at is how sometimes people start with 100+ score on the 2nd round of the same map. It's not a big deal because score in this game is læwl anyway, but it would be good to be fixed. It should be as easy as zeroing some variable...

Also, PLEASE integrate assists from ns2stats mod into the base game.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I've had a problem at least 3 times now where the crag abilities are available but can't be upgraded. Was quite an issue when I went onos a few times and wasn't able to get my regen/cara..