Community Ban List

2»

Comments

• ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited April 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Is this still being used? If so, I'd suggest taking some pointers from SteamBans.

Steam bans has it's pros and cons , every system has it's flaws - The idea here was to collect the information and allow the operator to decide what was important for his or her server.

It's not really in any state - it was sort of mothballed by the community rather than me, If it ever became something the community wanted to use, it was still sitting in place.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ma$$a$$ter wrote: »
    Is this still being used? If so, I'd suggest taking some pointers from SteamBans.

Steam bans has it's pros and cons , every system has it's flaws - The idea here was to collect the information and allow the operator to decide what was important for his or her server.

It's not really in any state - it was sort of mothballed by the community rather than me, If it ever became something the community wanted to use, it was still sitting in place.
    I think there is some use for it, but its not particularly user friendly at the moment. I'd suggest doing the following at the minimum:
    - Add a forum
    - Provide all the ban info (SteamID, reason, proof, reporter) on a single page (rather than two pages)
    - Add the ability to select which bans you want (checkboxes next to each ban) and download it into a correctly formatted bannedplayers.json
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I think there is some use for it, but its not particularly user friendly at the moment. I'd suggest doing the following at the minimum:
    - Add a forum
    - Provide all the ban info (SteamID, reason, proof, reporter) on a single page (rather than two pages)
    - Add the ability to select which bans you want (checkboxes next to each ban) and download it into a correctly formatted bannedplayers.json

Mantis variation for bans O_O
    Go make it Scardy!
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please be careful with your "community ban" concept.

Bans are judgement calls. A lot of server admins are "sensitive" and ban on very questionable grounds.

And yes, I have gotten banned from a server. I didn't cheat. I just fired back at someone that was badmouthing me and calling me expletives - because I didn't have a microphone as commander.

- Add a forum

If people want to actually use it, I have no problem working on the PHP front end again, the current page was really just proof of concept. I was hoping to locate some moderators for it... hint hint joshh and Scardy
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    eliotmat wrote: »

Bans are judgement calls. A lot of server admins are "sensitive" and ban on very questionable grounds.

And yes, I have gotten banned from a server. I didn't cheat. I just fired back at someone that was badmouthing me and calling me expletives - because I didn't have a microphone as commander.

this. i got banned because I killed an admin's lerk (it was a pretty funny situation) and typed "lol", but I got banned before I could finish my next message to explain what was so funny.
    eliotmat wrote: »

this. i got banned because I killed an admin's lerk (it was a pretty funny situation) and typed "lol", but I got banned before I could finish my next message to explain what was so funny.

yeah, crap like that does not belong in the list.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013

Steambans has legit professional gamers banned and refuses to lift the bans, don't recommend them.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    edited April 2013
    While I agree with a lot of people in that we shouldn't just easily add someone to a ban list without sufficient proof, there are some out there that are absolute cancers. For example Jason Mog who I've had to ban at least 8 accounts of. (wallhack, aimbot, comm recycling, griefing, etc). People like that deserve to be publicly shamed, especially if there is obvious proof of horrid activities. (multiple videos, many logs, etc). I think a list of the absolute worst would help. I wish I had all his steamids before he started griefing like mad on my server.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    add this one
    Steam:0:1:59858475
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    - Add a forum

Go make it Scardy!
    Actually, using Mantis for processing bans would be useful. The biggest issue I see is lack of a method for accepting and/or displaying accepted bans from/for public players.

However, you could do something like
    Stage 1 = Ban submitted, unprocessed
    Stage 2 = Initial ban processing (making sure it meets the minimum submission requirements)
    Stage 3 = Voting on by ban list admins
    Stage 4 = Ban accepted
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Mantis would also allow proof to be submitted after the fact to continue to "add" to the report. Making each case simply the steam id you can search for when you want to submit/add to a case.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    edited April 2013
    Troll on UWE server. I hope he gets banned on alot of servers for being a urine head.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=137974358
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=137974292

steam_0:0:24875134
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/macpotty

p.s he jumped in the comm chair while the real comm was saving the base and sold everything + started quickly wasting the resources. It was just 2-4 minutes in the game and no one was losing yet.
    joshhh wrote: »
    - Add a forum

Go make it Scardy!
    Actually, using Mantis for processing bans would be useful. The biggest issue I see is lack of a method for accepting and/or displaying accepted bans from/for public players.

However, you could do something like
    Stage 1 = Ban submitted, unprocessed
    Stage 2 = Initial ban processing (making sure it meets the minimum submission requirements)
    Stage 3 = Voting on by ban list admins
    Stage 4 = Ban accepted

seems to me it would be more work to edit something like mantis than to implement what you wanted on your own with PHP

I have the foundation - its not "pretty" and it's only a enter/output format at the moment because it was only proof of concept- but honestly it wouldn't take me that long to redesign and push to production level something like mantis that wasn't hacked from a boxed product.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    ezekel wrote: »

Steambans has legit professional gamers banned and refuses to lift the bans, don't recommend them.

Just because you're a 'professional gamer' doesn't mean you don't cheat from time to time. The Steambans admins take their job quite seriously. I very much doubt they've banned some people for being "too good".
    edited April 2013
    NS2BANS.COM
    The community ban list was scrapped and re-written in favor of an approved and unapproved moderated list. The site is still undergoing many changes but the basic functions are in place to show off the concept.
    How it works: Admins are established, users are able to submit steamID’s into the list and are required to include a video (and if they choose, a screen shot in ADDITION to the video) of a player doing what ever it is they wish to report.
    These submissions go into a holding place for the admins to review and decide if they agree with the submitter. Currently, it requires 3 admins to agree, or disagree to have any action taken. Once three admins agree, the steam ID is added to a formatted page where server operators can simply copy and paste the list directly into the ban file on the server. If three admins reject the submitted information, the listing is never added to the ban list, and is listed as “rejected” on the submitted ID’s list.
    In the future the plan is to implement a LUA mod to download this formatted ban list and automatically apply it the server with no action needed by the server admin other than subscribing to the mod.
    As it stands, admins are confidential and the way they vote is confidential, keeping the system as honest as possible in hopes for the most pure list of banned ID’s possible.

Once the system gets rolling (assuming it's something the community would like to use) a weight system will be used rather than a strict rule of 3 on the voting system.

note:
    I've asked a few people of a key group if they would assist, I may have missed some others of that group- not intentional, I apologize, just send me a message if you would like to help out.
  • digitaljuicedigitaljuice Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12420Members
    great idea with the ban list mod for servers, we were just discussing a way to keep a unified banlist across our 3 servers so thank you! good luck and hope it comes to! :)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    NS2BANS.COM
    The community ban list was scrapped and re-written in favor of an approved and unapproved moderated list. The site is still undergoing many changes but the basic functions are in place to show off the concept.
    How it works: Admins are established, users are able to submit steamID’s into the list and are required to include a video (and if they choose, a screen shot in ADDITION to the video) of a player doing what ever it is they wish to report.
    These submissions go into a holding place for the admins to review and decide if they agree with the submitter. Currently, it requires 3 admins to agree, or disagree to have any action taken. Once three admins agree, the steam ID is added to a formatted page where server operators can simply copy and paste the list directly into the ban file on the server. If three admins reject the submitted information, the listing is never added to the ban list, and is listed as “rejected” on the submitted ID’s list.
    In the future the plan is to implement a LUA mod to download this formatted ban list and automatically apply it the server with no action needed by the server admin other than subscribing to the mod.
    As it stands, admins are confidential and the way they vote is confidential, keeping the system as honest as possible in hopes for the most pure list of banned ID’s possible.

Once the system gets rolling (assuming it's something the community would like to use) a weight system will be used rather than a strict rule of 3 on the voting system.

note:
    I've asked a few people of a key group if they would assist, I may have missed some others of that group- not intentional, I apologize, just send me a message if you would like to help out.

Looks nice, some points:

* after hitting "Register" the website doesn't give any visible acknowledgements that the register process is done
    * the confirmation email sends my password back cleartext, are you storing clear text passwords?
  • -pANIC--pANIC- Join Date: 2013-01-13 Member: 179295Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Zaggy wrote: »
    Looks nice, some points:

* after hitting "Register" the website doesn't give any visible acknowledgements that the register process is done
    * the confirmation email sends my password back cleartext, are you storing clear text passwords?

Yes, this. I won't register if you're storing passwords in plaintext. But this sounds like a much needed service, especially after the recent p245 exploits.

edited April 2013
    Login uses SHA1 password hashing algorithm (with SALT), should the database ever get compromised you can be rest assured your passwords are much safer than MD5. the login also has built in CSRF (Cross Site Request Forgery) protection

the Login script uses AJAX and won't "flash forward" to a new page, a java script type message will appear across the top of the window saying the registration was complete and you need to check your e-mail to activate. IF for some reason your browser doesn't support java/ajax than yes, you would not receive the message - or if you were entering bad information you may not receive the error.

The assumption that because you received a copy of your user information via plain text e-mail that the storage method inside the database must be plain text is a very strange one to me.

It really wouldn't do much good to anyone to send them encrypted passwords, they would never be able to read it. you can't try to remember what password you used based on a cryptic gibberish.
  • FuhrerDarqueSydeFuhrerDarqueSyde Join Date: 2004-10-04 Member: 32076Members, Constellation
    I think what they're afraid of is one that it was stored unencrypted and two that it may be stored in a sent box for the mail server in the clear. Since the user entered the password, it is already logical to assume they know their password, it isn't really necessary to send them it. I'd just provide a method for resetting it.
    edited April 2013
    The Php mail function has no "sent" box, has no "in box", doesn't receive mail - It's not actually even a mailbox. It is a call using the mail protocol to send an e-mail. The only actual mailbox involved is the users.
    $mailheaders = "From: ns2bans.com \n";
    $mailheaders .= "Your account has been setup.\n";
    $mailheaders .= " account information here.. \n";

$email="dontmailmebro@igotnomail.com"

$to = "$email";
    $subject = "Your ns2bans.com Account";

mail($to, $subject, $mailheaders, "From: No Reply <$email>\n");

Variables are set up, organized and named, the server is told to open a mail connection,
    mail() command, and the parameters that mail function requires to meet the standards of an e-mail. In this example, the mail function gathered the recipient ($to), the subject title, the actual subject text of the e-mail, and a e-mail account name we want to use (the e-mail account name doesn't have to exist, because we are not actually sending e-mail from this account. it could literally be idonthaveaemailbox@sodontsendmeone.com.

Little back end knowledge for those of you whom are interested.

I will remove the password when sending the e-mail if it makes people feel better about password security. It's not critical it be sent, I just have an awful memory and for those that have as many passwords as I do some times a e-mail is just as easy to search out.
  • FuhrerDarqueSydeFuhrerDarqueSyde Join Date: 2004-10-04 Member: 32076Members, Constellation
    didnt know if it queued messages in a /var/spool/mail folder or something.