Commander practice

KotikKotik Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174750Members
I just picked up the game and wanted to try out commander. Is there no way to practice being a commander? I have made servers of my own and tried and looked through the game menu but it doesnt seem like Unknown Worlds thought it was a good idea or something? I feel very dishearted that I have to try out my skills and practice the commander role by making 10 other people get angry and scold me.

What are my options? The videos only do you so good.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
    edited December 2012
    Just hop in the command chair/ hive when you make your server?

There's a commander tutorial here on the forum explaining stuff like this. It's in this section if I recall...

edit: BAM! <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122316" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=122316</a>
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2012
    1- Watch videos on youtube

2- Hop in a game, and fail as a commander. People will rage at you but you will remember your mistakes. Then don't repeat those mistakes. Also ask for tips in-game.

If you've never played any strategy game, then I suggest you begin by playing any of them (Starcraft, warcraft, w/e) just to say you develop your micro/macro skills (and get a better global sense of the game), before doing 1/2.
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    If you're very, very new, I would advise you to play through a few games as a grunt before you try out the commander. However, there will inevitably be games in which, 10 seconds after the game has started, everyone shuffles about not wanting to be the commander. At this point, you can usually jump in the chair and not receive any flak for how things go the rest of the game, as long as you don't become angry or super-demanding.

If you want to at least figure out the controls, upgrade paths, etc., you can use Practice Mode against no enemies.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2043573:date=Dec 11 2012, 03:40 PM:name=Kotik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kotik @ Dec 11 2012, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just picked up the game and wanted to try out commander. Is there no way to practice being a commander? I have made servers of my own and tried and looked through the game menu but it doesnt seem like Unknown Worlds thought it was a good idea or something? I feel very dishearted that I have to try out my skills and practice the commander role by making 10 other people get angry and scold me.

Thanks in advance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which timezone are you in? I have a server you can hop on for some com training.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    You can create your own listen server and enable cheats 1 in the console, hop in the commander's seat and learn the controls, mechanics etc. The commander often needs to communicate locations and general tactics, so you should also join public servers and find teams where an actual commander who communicates is online. Learn what kind of things the commander does and decide what is good and not so good(e.g. rage sell the base, scream bad words at the other players etc. :P).

You can train on servers with fewer players, and almost always it's easier for first time commanders and people will be very helpful.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Start a new game and just hop into the CC or hive and play around, enabling cheats might be a good thing to do.

Or you could just hop in in a normal game, although I suggest you played a bit as a normal player first if possible, to learn the map and what how the game is for your grunts.
    Normally players wont ###### even if you fail spectacularly, and if you do, its more likely those who know any hints will actually try to help you learn. If people are jerks, you can just omit the commander post to them for that round, change server, or tell them to bare with you and help you instead, so that you can learn.
    Its very rare that I actually see jerks like that though.
  • ZaphrousZaphrous Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165462Members
    If you are new and want to comm its best to play on a reg server to see how other comms open. Although that is a bit hit and miss. More importantly if you are new comm on a rookie server and just tell people you are a rookie. Usually the people there are mostly new and/or willing to help you learn. Otherwise they shouldn't be on a rookie server.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2043573:date=Dec 11 2012, 09:40 AM:name=Kotik)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kotik @ Dec 11 2012, 09:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just picked up the game and wanted to try out commander. Is there no way to practice being a commander? I have made servers of my own and tried and looked through the game menu but it doesnt seem like Unknown Worlds thought it was a good idea or something? I feel very dishearted that I have to try out my skills and practice the commander role by making 10 other people get angry and scold me.

Thanks in advance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is a walkthrough mode in the options somewhere, but it wasn't working recently. Try typing "map ns2_whatever" in the console to load a map, typing "cheats 1" after that seems to start the game so you can command.

Don't just start building stuff randomly and ruin the game for everyone. Ask people what to do.

Generally just build Armory > Power Nodes / Resource Towers > Observatory (research Phase Gates ASAP) > Arms Lab (get Wep/Armor upgrades). Focus on securing a Tech Point location with a phase gate, armory, observatory. Your team can't buy Jet Packs or Exo without a 2nd Tech Point.

Selecting a structure like the Arms Lab and pressing CTRL-1 will make 1 the hotkey for it, so you don't have to click it to upgrade.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    There are two main parts of learning to be a commander: learning the UI/other basics, and learning strategy. Learning the basics is annoying but you only have to do it once. If you want you can watch my videos that I'll link at the end of this post. Learning strategy is harder but luckily you can do it without commanding. Just pay attention to what your commander builds/researches each game, think about what works and what doesn't, listen to how your commander orders people around, and so on. So if you learn the basics from screwing around yourself/watching my videos, then when you feel comfortable you can just hop in the chair and start carrying out strategies that you've seen work before.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iFGP_XA4a5g"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iFGP_XA4a5g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxfqlyq9FDI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bxfqlyq9FDI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>