Designated Squad Leader

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Commander Appointed</div>The idea is simple:

Allow the marine commander to select 2 people to have a waypoint or icon above their heads designating them as a "squad leader" to allow players on the field to know who to follow. This would give marines more of a hierarchy (Comm -> Squad Leader -> Foot solider), obviously, the Comm's orders would still be given to all players, but the squad leader could be used as a visual "rally point" of sorts.

This would mainly be useful in pub games as an easy way to coordinate marines in the long term since now the players on the field would have a distinct person to follow for pushes or defense.

It would also allow the "better" players to be a more obvious example to newer players in terms of where to position themselves and when to attack/defend.

The "Squad Leader" title would have to be able to be seen from a good distance away, that way any reinforcements on the way could know where to group up, and also have a tag in voice/type chat so people know who to listen to.

Given the life expectancy of marines, I really don't know how useful this could be, but i think it would go a long way toward gently pushing new players (or just pub players in general) to stay in groups and act as a team

Comments

• includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2043164:date=Dec 10 2012, 04:47 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Dec 10 2012, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2043164"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The idea is simple:

Allow the marine commander to select 2 people to have a waypoint or icon above their heads designating them as a "squad leader" to allow players on the field to know who to follow. This would give marines more of a hierarchy (Comm -> Squad Leader -> Foot solider), obviously, the Comm's orders would still be given to all players, but the squad leader could be used as a visual "rally point" of sorts.

This would mainly be useful in pub games as an easy way to coordinate marines in the long term since now the players on the field would have a distinct person to follow for pushes or defense.

It would also allow the "better" players to be a more obvious example to newer players in terms of where to position themselves and when to attack/defend.

The "Squad Leader" title would have to be able to be seen from a good distance away, that way any reinforcements on the way could know where to group up, and also have a tag in voice/type chat so people know who to listen to.

Given the life expectancy of marines, I really don't know how useful this could be, but i think it would go a long way toward gently pushing new players (or just pub players in general) to stay in groups and act as a team<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make a suggestion here:
    <a href="http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2055e8" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=2055e8</a>

To ADD to your suggestion, I'd love that the squad leader would have a popup menu where he can point to a marine and then see a visual circle on the ground. Once he hits a certain key, that visual shows up to that marine so he knows where to position. The position icons would vanish once arriving there. For example, a squad leader is in a room with 2 other marines and they are there to build an extractor. He can assign one marine to build, assign one marine to stand next to the entrance to cover and shoot aliens from behind if they go for the RT builders, and the squad leader himself also assist in building.

I think it'd be a lot of fun. It'd promote teamwork, which is something marines rely on. Perhaps give marines following orders bonus points and the Squad Leader also receiving them.

Bonus Points awarded:
    Building ordered structure
    Killing while in ordered position (bonus time expires after 20 seconds to prevent them from "camping" a position for extra points)
    Killing ordered structure
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    this has been suggested several times already and a system like that is sorely needed for public marine teams.
  • LucianLucian Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25193Members, Constellation
    It would be nice if the "follow me" voice command visually notified nearby marines and/or placed something on the map. That, or what the OP suggest would be nice.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    The only problem I see is how the UI would work for the Squad Leader.

Get it wrong (require too many button presses, too many menus, etc.) and you'll find it'll never be used.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IMO the old voice menu shold be brought back

z -> 1-9 for requests (medpacks, ammo, orders)
    x -> 1-9 for squad communication (follow me, weld me, covering you)
    # -> 1-9 for suad leader specific commands (cover target, build target, take position here)

no idea what the key binding would be, but the old menus were so much easier to use as there was zero mouse involvement, and it was infinitely easier and quicker to use

ex. z -> 1 to request order; x -> 3 "I'm covering you" never have to stop aiming or obstruct your view with a pop-up menu