How does umbra work?

sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Where do I put it?</div>I was playing the other day and I didn't realize until I was being shot at... I don't know wtf I'm doing. So, is it a buff that I apply to an alien, is it more like a shield that absorbs bullets, or do I apply it to the marine to debuff him?

Comments

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042699:date=Dec 9 2012, 09:02 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Dec 9 2012, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was playing the other day and I didn't realize until I was being shot at... I don't know wtf I'm doing. So, is it a buff that I apply to an alien, is it more like a shield that absorbs bullets, or do I apply it to the marine to debuff him?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> It can be used in any of those fashions, so it is all of the above.
    Umbra has an 50% chance to disintegrate bullets in it, halving damage (No effect on 'nades or fire) in area of effect, so its effective if bullets have to go though it or your allys are in it. It also has a 1.5 sec linger when a ally walks out of it.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Just to clarify, do you have to be in the umbra cloud to have its benefits? Or can you be outside it, say marine is shooting through it and you're on the other side, but outside the cloud. Do you still reap its benefits?
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just to clarify, do you have to be in the umbra cloud to have its benefits? Or can you be outside it, say marine is shooting through it and you're on the other side, but outside the cloud. Do you still reap its benefits?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

good question - would love to know more about this as well.

I use the hell out of it on base attacks, but effectively using it is another thing
    edited December 2012
    This is all that I could extrapolate from the wiki:
    <b>Description:</b><i> The Lerk expels a cloud of gaseous smoke which expands after a short time. Umbra will latch onto nearby Kharaa lifeforms and structures, allowing through only half of the shots fired by Marine ballistic weapons (doesn't affect flamethrowers, grenades, or ARCs). Umbra becomes available when Evolve Umbra is researched from a Hive. </i>

<b>Des.2:</b> <i>Launches a cloud which disintegrates 1 out of 2 bullets for affected friendly players and structures; Umbra effect briefly lingers on friendly players and structures after exiting area of effect. </i>
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    So it seems it is best when spewed all over your fellow aliens. I wish there was an in-depth manual for this game. In another thread someone said spores can affect sentry projectiles...

The wiki reads more like a reference than a guide imo.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    sounds like the player has to be "in" the cloud at some point to receive the effect in order for that to "latch onto nearby Kharaa lifeforms"
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042711:date=Dec 9 2012, 09:40 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Dec 9 2012, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The wiki reads more like a reference than a guide imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, some of the abilities need better explanations as how they work.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Because of its high energy cost and the unlikelihood of adrenaline, it's best to spray Umbra ahead of your friendly onos/fade buddies as they charge in, spray it again once they start to slap the marine's ######, then spray it near the exit door when he makes his retreat.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042717:date=Dec 9 2012, 10:52 PM:name=pendelum5)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pendelum5 @ Dec 9 2012, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because of its high energy cost and the unlikelihood of adrenaline, it's best to spray Umbra ahead of your friendly onos/fade buddies as they charge in, spray it again once they start to slap the marine's ######, then spray it near the exit door when he makes his retreat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This isn't necessarily bad, but my rule of thumb with it is, "hit your allies". Also, don't forget that just like spore, umbra has a blinding effect, so you can hurt marines accuracy indirectly by putting it between hostiles and friendlies as well. Finally, flame throwers burn umbra, don't rely on umbra to the point where you're screwed if you catch fire.
  • m0rdm0rd Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173223Members
    I was always under the impression that it had to be sprayed on your teammates and that they would be buffed for 5 seconds. At least, that's how spawning in Combat works. I rarely see it in normal pub games so I'm unsure if players leave a yellow trail when running through Umbra.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    Khaara lifeforms need to be in the umbra cloud to be affected and the effect is still active for 0.5 seconds after you leave the umbra cloud.

<!--QuoteBegin-NS2 Build 221 released (lockdown)+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2 Build 221 released (lockdown))</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Increased time that umbra "drags" from .2 seconds to .5 (so aliens in it can retain the benefits for a short time as they leave it).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042799:date=Dec 10 2012, 01:52 AM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Dec 10 2012, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Khaara lifeforms need to be in the umbra cloud to be affected and the effect is still active for 0.5 seconds after you leave the umbra cloud.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->// Umbra blocks 1 out of this many bullet
    kUmbraBlockRate = 2
    // Carries the umbra cloud for x additional seconds
    kUmbraRetainTime = .5<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    I believe aliens running through the cloud receive a buff, and when marines shoot through the umbra it has a chance of stopping some bullets.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    If the alien is standing behind the cloud the bullets will not be stopped. You need the umbra buff on yourself to actually block bullets.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    To be clear, Umbra is a cloud that provides a buff to alien players. It does not stop bullets of marines shooting out of it, nor does it block bullets passing through it. You do however often want to aim Umbra at the marines so that your teammates can be in it while they fight. It also has the fun side effect of blocking marine visibility like crazy.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042711:date=Dec 9 2012, 10:40 PM:name=sharnrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sharnrock @ Dec 9 2012, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In another thread someone said spores can affect sentry projectiles...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It doesn't affect their bullets, it just confuses them, so they can't lock on to any aliens. They kinda go crazy and randomly fire.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Umbra needs to be applied to the aliens themselves, as in it only effects aliens inside it (and those who have just left the cloud for a very short time)