ns2 needs a league of legends style readying system

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
ns2 seems like its more of match game, than a casual game to me - if you more or less copied the excellent system of finding matches in league of legends i think the gameplay satisfaction would be much higher.

for starters you would be able to have your steam friends form a group and find another group. you can then focus on a particular pre-planned startegy.

or if you just join a random team you could quickly discuss the strategy.

you should also be able to vote which map you play in the match

and most importantly you should assign a commander while everyone is in the readying app.

i just don't think the ad-hoc approach works at all in a game that requires good tactics and a long term strategy. ns2 is not a simple fps where just walking around shooting is helping your team.

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I dont play league of legends so unsure of the specifics. Sounds good though. Would be nice to just get a team together and have a way to just automatically stack you up against other teams. Maybe a pug/scrim mod that draws off steam friends, where you get together a team and it scans for other teams with similar pings and win %. Although matchmaking systems miiiight not work too well in ns2, I do think that there's room to look beyond the standard server list.

What I would like to see is to have the server list just one MASSIVE ready room, dynamically populated by servers that are available, split up into the different region groups. The voice chat would be only the area around you or room you're in, so it doesn't get drowned out with hundreds/thousands of voices chattering at once. There would be other rooms just to gather round and organize games and stuff. There's loads of possibilitys. I'm not sure how well UWE's engine would handle a GIANT readyroom though, encompassing all of the players not yet in a game. Could be something to consider down the line though.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    idk about LoL but this game is useless if everyone doesn't start and end the round together
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042690:date=Dec 10 2012, 01:34 PM:name=biz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biz @ Dec 10 2012, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->idk about LoL but this game is useless if everyone doesn't start and end the round together<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats my thinking exactly.

Yes of course i should probably describe the league of legends system.

-It is external to the game, all done through a simple web style interface
    -from there you choose where you want to group up with friends or just join a random group
    -after you are in a group it then goes and finds a group of opponents (not sure what the criterias are but probably ping / geographymakes sense)
    -each team then selects their characters while a timer counts down and/or wait for everyone to lock in their characters and click "ready"
    -the game launches and match starts

its super easy, and ns2 would benefit so much from a system similar to this.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    edited December 2012
    yeah, I agree
    +1 to you OP

I can see this being really useful, If you opt into the joining system, you can opt into modified servers and select what mods you would like to opt into as well. If you choose not to opt into mods, then when your group (or lacking a group, random chosen group) is matched with another group, a server is picked at random with the proper slots to fit the player count.
    ----------------Aliens --------- Marines------ forward ------Random Server
    example: (4+2+1+1= 8) + (5+3=8) ==> 16 slot server

1) This gives all server operators equal chances of hosting games

2) Players can still skip the auto -grouping option and join their favorite server like normal.

3) The only system that needs to be implemented is some sort of matching / forwarding to server

great Idea.
  • Lim3sLim3s Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160712Members
    For some servers I would like to see this added, but for casual play-for-###### servers I like how it is at the moment. Especially when you wanna chat with people for a bit before going into a match, forcing all this formality just ruins it. It's like if TF2 didn't have all-chat servers, the silly community feel would be lost.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I think a "ready" button should be added to the team pick phase. I like NS2 readyroom system better than the LoL game lobby, but I agree there's definitely problems with it that need to be addressed.