How to: Exo

Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Somewhat short tutorial for newbies</div>I made guide for people who don't seem to understand how to really play an exosuit on a basic level very well.

You can <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0et2pKFmngc&feature=plcp" target="_blank">watch it here</a>

Enjoy.

Comments

• VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    hold down mouse 1 and look in the general area of the enemy
  • JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    As a comm I also like to at times have an exo guard base with 5 MACs while I do a base push.

Too many people push with their Exos without proper support.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    isn't mouse1 the fist?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    One game I sat in one of our bases with a dual exo for 20min or so. All alone.

Killed 2-3 Onoses 5 Gorges and loads of Skulks. But most of the time just sat there, securing the base. Comm was mighty pleased. :p

And I would be too. Nothing better than a dual exo sitting in one of your bases making sure it doesn't go down.
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    How to: Last

Stop rushing these before a1/sg/jp :(
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042291:date=Dec 8 2012, 10:36 PM:name=Canucck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canucck @ Dec 8 2012, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How to: Last

Stop rushing these before a1/sg/jp :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This too.
    I'll probably make a part 2 to this covering random stuff like that.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    newbies nowadays have to read a guide before even getting an exo. how about a license?
    <!--quoteo(post=2042298:date=Dec 8 2012, 11:01 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Dec 8 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->newbies nowadays have to read a guide before even getting an exo. how about a license?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is heavy machinery, so it probably qualifies under some sort of license.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    Too many people in exo's expect people to flock to them and support them and get pissy when no one does. They get extra pissy when they go off on their own and complain no one was supporting them. Exo's are pretty terrible IMO. I wouldn't get them as commander if people wouldn't ###### about not having them. JP's are way more useful. A dual exo in base with MAC's though, that's useful. Cover any sort of counter rush to get the attack force beaconed back.
    <!--quoteo(post=2042443:date=Dec 9 2012, 09:16 AM:name=Azaral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Azaral @ Dec 9 2012, 09:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Too many people in exo's expect people to flock to them and support them and get pissy when no one does. They get extra pissy when they go off on their own and complain no one was supporting them. Exo's are pretty terrible IMO. I wouldn't get them as commander if people wouldn't ###### about not having them. JP's are way more useful. A dual exo in base with MAC's though, that's useful. Cover any sort of counter rush to get the attack force beaconed back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exos are useful for stopping pushes with a lot of Onos, otherwise marines usually don't have the firepower, even if they all have jetpacks and w3. People need to think of them more like arcs, as siege units.
    Exos and marines do need to be together, though, even if none of them are welding the exo. Team awareness is important too, ultimately the exo and the team need to work together to do well.
    Most situations however, don't really warrant an exo.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    How to EXO?

You don't.

Honestly, the EXO is so fragile that it takes more effort to defend it than is desirable. Unless the EXO is parked in a corner, it's painfully easy to ambush one and kill it with a 0 res skulk. They have no escape mechanism and can't self-heal. I've solo killed two on two occasions. It's just plain silly. With the muzzle flash taking up most of the screen the EXO has to fire blindly, and by the time he can actually track me he's a second away from death.

While I agree to a limited extent with an EXO being good on base defence, the problem is that if you have someone sitting in base, that's one less person out on the front lines. If you play the game well you shouldn't need anyone on defence since the aliens shouldn't have the time or opportunity to rush your base. Once you have to sit an EXO on base defence the game is usually over.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    edited December 2012
    I missed ONE thing in this tutorial: IF you go straight into an Alien base with an Exo: WALK over the eggs!!! I have seen way too many Exo players who shoot or completely ignore them.

btw: The end was far to loud!

P.s: Funny thing: Right now when I game, I play NS2 OR FFIX;)
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042463:date=Dec 9 2012, 09:52 AM:name=no_idea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (no_idea @ Dec 9 2012, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I missed ONE thing in this tutorial: IF you go straight into an Alien base with an Exo: WALK over the eggs!!! I have seen way too many Exo players who shoot or completely ignore them.

btw: The end was far to loud!

P.s: Funny thing: Right now when I game, I play NS2 OR FFIX;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry, I'll add an audio warning next time xP

Edit: Glad you noticed the music, I have a huge collection of FF soundtracks, IX is one of my favorites.
  • runnerrunner Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173304Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042298:date=Dec 9 2012, 07:01 AM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Dec 9 2012, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042298"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->newbies nowadays have to read a guide before even getting an exo. how about a license?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who said the game was good for casuals
  • ComboBreakerComboBreaker Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172856Members
    <b>How to exo:</b>

-Whenever you are assaulting the hive,dont go in without scans unless you want to hug camo onos.

-First thing that you have to do when assaulting hive : egg dance.Really,this is priority 1 when going in as exo.Just walk over them - alien comander will rage hard.

-Never go out without at least 1 marine/1-2 macs.While you are waiting for support to arrive,stay on defence.

-How to fight with camo onoses : you can fire non stop as exo.Fire with one gun and while its firing and on 85-90% overheat start spinning second minigun and stop first minigun.While this leaves you a bit exposed when onos charges at you,it is great on denying ambushes and a great tactic to kill skulks since you are firing non stop!

-During onos fight letting weapons overheat means death.Do not them cool down below 50% either.

-Even if you got 75 pres,do not go exo if you have 2-3 of them.Grab a repair tool, heal exos and wait untill one of them dies.

-Remeber,that currently exo is underpowered,so always have in mind that you can die really easily.Stay cool if this happens.
  • hushus Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173206Members
    The main issue is the best defensive unit in the game is used as the spearhead of any assault. A lone dual exo holding an armoury blocked base is nigh impossible to make inroads on.
    Then there's that tech burst when 3-4 marines had all saved up and go out and die at the same time, making recovery very difficult.
    I still get complaints when I get jp's before exos. <sigh>
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042460:date=Dec 10 2012, 12:46 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 10 2012, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you play the game well you shouldn't need anyone on defence since the aliens shouldn't have the time or opportunity to rush your base. Once you have to sit an EXO on base defence the game is usually over.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So many times when I have been on an alien team that has exo's bearing down on a hive and the first thing we do is send a party of aliens to a far away marine base. Its either beacon and lose exos or don't and lose base. A mac supporter exo in base may change that if aliens only sent skulks though.

When I play marines I don't really like exo. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have gone exo and felt like it was the right choice. In most cases a jp and shotty will be a less risky and more useful investment.