Low Player Population

earth007earth007 Join Date: 2012-12-07 Member: 174424Members
I picked up the game a couple of days ago and so far my clan and I are loving the game. However, one of the concerns we have about the game is low player population. In my opinion, NS2 and shootmania have the best chance of being popular in competitive shooters atm. It's got the basic tools to achieve that as well. ie. mod tools, dedicated servers and a dev team that's really passionate. So, I was wondering if anything is being done by the dev team to spread the word about the game, because I don't think the casual gamers are even aware that an awesome game like NS2 exists. If one of my clan mates wasn't playing it and if I hadn't come across ESL NS2 finals stream, I probably would not have known about the game. This game really needs some more exposure. :)

Comments

• LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    bad luck dude u dumped money into a dead game.
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Right now, the game runs horribly on some people's machines, while flawlessly on others. I'm not sure the cause, but I have a fair amount of friends that got the game that get 5-10 FPS while I get 60.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041541:date=Dec 7 2012, 10:15 AM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Dec 7 2012, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bad luck dude u dumped money into a dead game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ummm, ok?...
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think it would be good for the game to hold some weekend tournaments again. They are easy to post around and enjoyable to watch. A simple way to do some advertising.
  • PhOeNiX4PhOeNiX4 Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30912Members
    Enough people own the game, just stopped playing due to performance issues & big changes to balance shorty after release. Once the dev's resolve these issues, people will start slowly creeping back.

Competitive play it's VERY fun though imo, just not enough people yet to create a scene like ns1 had.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2041569:date=Dec 7 2012, 12:09 PM:name=PhOeNiX4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhOeNiX4 @ Dec 7 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enough people own the game, just stopped playing due to performance issues & big changes to balance shorty after release. Once the dev's resolve these issues, people will start slowly creeping back.

Competitive play it's VERY fun though imo, just not enough people yet to create a scene like ns1 had.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Once the devs add some more features into the game and make some of the alien classes more fun to play as (see NS2:Classic for ideas), gamers will come back into the game.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game does not need be more popularized, it had been pretty popular after release but due to different issues the player numbers have slumped back down to nearly beta levels of players.

And i honestly believe more tournaments won't help at all. Those people that quit playing are not into the competitive side of the game, they are mostly the casual "i just wanna play for a couple of rounds fun" players so that kind of stuff won't appeal to them at all/won't be even noticed.

Tbh at this point i think the game needs another huge content patch, something that adds massive new gameplay to the game, similar to the Gorilla build during beta or the inclusion of co_ with NS1. Stuff like that attracts some media attention and motivates people to visit the game again. But nobody will start playing again just because Exertus is playing Archaea for the felt 234345. time...
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    First off, the game is not 'dead'. Ignore anyone who suggests that since that's just sour grapes on their part.

Right now the game is going through some growing pains, but it's not unlike any other title I've worked on. There is always a sales burst upon release, then it eases off. What will happen next is that once the game gets some tweaks to help fix issues that are holding it back, it will likely go on special and you'll get a whole new whack of people entering the game. If UWE can get something ready by Christmas, they may be able to have it as a boxing day special.

The team are working on it though, and people need to remember this isn't a developer with 100 staff on hand that can plow through changes. UWE has roughly a half-dozen staff working full-time under Charlie's direction for the game itself. NS1 survived for MANY years just as a mod, NS2 will be able to do even better once it hits its groove.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    I managed to read at least one comment on Battlefield 3 being dead every time I went to the Battlelog forums, idiots en masse notwithstanding.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    There are still dozens of servers with many players all day long. How could you not be finding a game?

The only problem I see is that the full 20+ player servers are sucking up lots of players -- but that is a minor issue.

P.S. I agree performance issues are still keeping gamers away. However, NS players are resilient and the problem with hopefully be solved over time -- at which point those players will come back. Even if that takes a while, people recycling their old PCs for new ones over the next year will solve many of the performance issues.
  • earth007earth007 Join Date: 2012-12-07 Member: 174424Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041578:date=Dec 7 2012, 09:28 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Dec 7 2012, 09:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First off, the game is not 'dead'. Ignore anyone who suggests that since that's just sour grapes on their part.

Right now the game is going through some growing pains, but it's not unlike any other title I've worked on. There is always a sales burst upon release, then it eases off. What will happen next is that once the game gets some tweaks to help fix issues that are holding it back, it will likely go on special and you'll get a whole new whack of people entering the game. If UWE can get something ready by Christmas, they may be able to have it as a boxing day special.

The team are working on it though, and people need to remember this isn't a developer with 100 staff on hand that can plow through changes. UWE has roughly a half-dozen staff working full-time under Charlie's direction for the game itself. NS1 survived for MANY years just as a mod, NS2 will be able to do even better once it hits its groove.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, this game is def not dead. With a Hardcore fan base and a great dev team, I think the game will do fine for years. However, I think this game has the potential to do more than just fine. It has all the tools to be one of the most popular games in e-sports scene. Hopefully they'll try to get the game more exposure after the next patch. Also, one of the main gripes I have about this game as a beginner is the clustered feeling of all the maps. I think they really ought to clean out the maps a lot and make them look less clustered. Sometimes I get stuck on random small objects. :P
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    A part of it definitely performance issue. I actually decided to upgrade my older machine earlier over black friday period, and got a I7 3770k, new ram and SSD... Because I loved NS2, i needed the improvement to frames. Playing with 15-30 inconsistent FPS was a real bummer and a source of alot of frustration.

There is also a challenging curve to this game. And if people stick to it, they find a great game, but are the casuals able to suffer through the intial "wtf am I doing?"

I totally agree this game is great for competitive play. But I also want to see further expansion of new lifeforms, weapons and tech. It has been a rough road just balancing and improving what is already in game.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i have to be honest... i haven't played in about a week - for several reasons:

1. got hitman absolution (free with new gpu)
    2. got far cry 3 (free with new gpu)
    3. tf2 is still my favourite game (mainly because i play on the same servers with people who i've played with for years)

to summarize, i got bored of being unable to find decent pub servers where the players were fun to play with (i think my average kdr is probably about 5:1 and would be 10:1 if it wasn't for some terribad teams i've been forced to drag along). there's no real fix for this except let time pass until players improve (i don't want to play comp, don't like playing on a schedule).

i really do love ns2 as a game, however if you're being realistic then 1500 concurrent players is a healthy number. i believe the game is good enough and will most definitely grow if the performance/optimizations, bugs and 'user friendliness' continues to improve (still a long way to go to be equal level to counterstrike or tf2 etc).
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    For Australia, the population has stabilized at around a constant double what it was during the Beta. So I think it's doing great.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Game is far from dead. For a dead FPS/RTS, take a look at <a href="http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=17710&from=1352278043" target="_blank">this graph</a>.

That being said, UWE still has quite a few options to boost playercount down the road including
    - Steam sale
    - Free weekend
    - Popular tournament (e.g. ESL)
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2041610:date=Dec 7 2012, 02:50 PM:name=Haplo_64)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haplo_64 @ Dec 7 2012, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For Australia, the population has stabilized at around a constant double what it was during the Beta. So I think it's doing great.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aussies do seem to love themselves some NS. I wish it would be as popular here in America. Although it is fun to go onto almost any NS2 server and have a good shot at hearing a comm with that accent belting out orders.

I just pretend the TSA does a lot of recruiting in the outback, due to all the scary exotic creatures in Australia, they figured the Kharaa won't scare em much. :P
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    game's not dead, however i haven't played as much recently due to time constraints. the more i play gathers, the less i like certain aspects of the game. kinda waiting to see if they'll be fixed.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    there have been some big releases recently:

PS2
    far cry 3
    assassins creed 3
    TWD
    hitman 5

I know where my time has been spent...
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041711:date=Dec 7 2012, 05:10 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Dec 7 2012, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there have been some big releases recently:

PS2
    far cry 3
    assassins creed 3
    TWD
    hitman 5

I know where my time has been spent...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is an interesting point. NS2's system requirement has put the game in the cross fire of every AAA game hitting the market, as the kind of people that have a machine that can run NS2 smoothly, almost definitely also like playing other games on their PC.
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041625:date=Dec 8 2012, 05:44 AM:name=reasa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (reasa @ Dec 8 2012, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041625"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just pretend the TSA does a lot of recruiting in the outback, due to all the scary exotic creatures in Australia, they figured the Kharaa won't scare em much. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not that the Kharaa won't scare us. It's that going on an interstellar journey to fight mutant space creatures that are trying to murder you at every turn is safer than being here in Australia.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    edited December 2012
    Heres an anology

Have a Container to represent NS2.
    Have holes in the Container to represent the problems with the game (performance/gameplay/bad design elements)
    Then pour in water, representing the finite amount of players that would be interested in NS2.

And the result is a leaky container, ie. bad player retention.

Most games fail due to the publishers pushing for the release of the game before its ready, yet the Irony is that UWE has done it to themselves. Sure they may have been low on funds, but theres allways a way, hell i would of thrown money at them if they sold gorge plushies or onos keyrings, or asked for donations in exchange for something similar to the pax logo that only shows in the ready room (maybe a pair of angel wings or a halo to represent an angel investor ?

The crux of the matter is that this game and the engine needed more time to be done right, and what UWE have done is sold a beta product to the world in the guise of a complete game. I would literally cringe when devs would say "we will add/implement/fix it Post 1.0" , that pretty much told me that the game wasnt ready. Same goes for the huge changes they did to the engine 2 weeks prior to release, nobody does that to a game thats about to be launched (unless the game wasnt ready)... and even with the 40% extra performance that gave us (not to mention the red plug of doom that pissed off many people)... and performance still isnt where it needs to be at. The 3rd bit of evidence that shows the game wasnt ready for release ... is that we are still using BETA build numbers ... the game IS 1.0 right ????

Make no mistake about it, this game is very much a work in progress (ie. a beta), the real tradgedy is that UWE has wasted the free press/hype that comes with the launch of a game, and the community is worse off for it.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041732:date=Dec 7 2012, 04:40 PM:name=mushookees)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mushookees @ Dec 7 2012, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heres an anology...

Make no mistake about it, this game is very much a work in progress (ie. a beta), the real tradgedy is that UWE has wasted the free press/hype that comes with the launch of a game, and the community is worse off for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep and since it's still Beta, yet was released to people that paid for it, the sweeping game play changes that tweak things too far pokes yet another big ol' hole right in the bottom of the container.

Don't screw with core game mechanics within the first month of release. A simple cork in the Early Onos hole would have sufficed, but the other fundamental changes have made NS2 uncertain and it's making things really hard on people who are legitimately trying to learn the game mechanics. You can't learn how to wall jump right now, it's a waste of time. It changes with every release it seems, and with such uncertainty why play when the skills you develop are going to be moot in the next update.

I see a lot of people making excuses for UWE. Not enough people, not enough money, not enough time, all games patch things after release. All that is true enough, but excuses don't retain a player base. When you fix a major problem, then introduce a dozen other problems, it doesn't make people feel good about a $40 dollar investment.

Especially when, as others have pointed out, there are massive seasonal Steam sales along with AAA title releases coming out for the Christmas season. It will be <i>very</i> easy to get lost in the shuffle of the season for NS2 without a strong, good build released before then.

I hope UWE is up to the pressure of finally finishing NS2. If they don't do it soon, there's a very real chance that the population it has is the population it gets. Long term, that means a slow shrink and a preponderance of modded servers. (Servers that, I might add, take a beast to run NS2 that equals a higher cost per server than almost any other game on the market. That includes AAA titles. That also doesn't bode exceptionally well.)
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Eh, I can always find a game.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2041732:date=Dec 8 2012, 09:40 AM:name=mushookees)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mushookees @ Dec 8 2012, 09:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pretty much this. Let's not forget UWE gave out 45,000 <b>free</b> copies of NS2. I doubt a free weekend or any kind of sale is going to help when its clear the problem is with player retention due mainly to performance.

I plummet to 20-30fps in anything but light combat, whenever an exo is firing, or whenever grenades are exploding on an overclocked i7. I don't even want to imagine what its like for people with average cpu's. You feel the sensitivity loss, the input delay, and the animations jerking around.

Server performance actually seems alright though, or atleast reasonably accessible with commercial hardware now. Monash was running 45ish players on combat at stable 30 ticks. Granted its combat so there wasn't any inmmerstation.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    edited December 2012
    Awful optimisation/low performance on a game that doesn't look that great isn't especially likely to keep people around
    Lack of a meaningful tutorial puts alot of new players off, especially in the hand holding game generation
    Badly thought out mechanics once you start to learn the game cut alot of the 'strategic choices' out completely

Essentially the game is still no better than it was in beta, which on release has a tendancy to cause a spike in players which rapidly subsides. What you're seeing now

<!--quoteo(post=2041740:date=Dec 7 2012, 11:03 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Dec 7 2012, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I plummet to 20-30fps in anything but light combat, whenever an exo is firing, or whenever grenades are exploding on an overclocked i7. I don't even want to imagine what its like for people with average cpu's. You feel the sensitivity loss, the input delay, and the animations jerking around.

Server performance actually seems alright though, or atleast reasonably accessible with commercial hardware now. Monash was running 45ish players on combat at stable 30 ticks. Granted its combat so there wasn't any inmmerstation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, the problem isnt that high end machines cant run it, nor that lower spec machines cant, its that it's completely random. I run a standard 3.4 clock I5 and get 40 fps in combat on mostly full settings, yet you, with a clearly better rig, get worse? Its just a result of using their own engine. I mean, its incredibly impressive, but a dumb move to do.

As for the server performance, lag and bad hit detection are pretty rampant, its just masked by most people not getting good enough performance to notice them.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The playerbase has been pretty consistent at about +- 1600 peak lately, so that's encouraging. Mind you the peak on release was *only* 7000, so a significant drop-off is no real surprise. I for one know a lot of people who are waiting for the game to go on sale. In addition to that, performance is definitely a big factor for a lot of players too. If they put through some performance improvements and put the game on sale, I'm sure the game can very well reach 10k peak.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited December 2012
    We have no problems finding servers in europe. But a low population has 3 reasons:

- performance
    - no direct reward for kills (Res for Kill for example)
    - no Hive teleport

Yes, I'm serious about that.

EDIT: the fourth reason may be the Aliens spawn system which often has long waiting times.
  • MinstrelJCFMinstrelJCF Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67379Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2041619:date=Dec 7 2012, 07:06 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Dec 7 2012, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Game is far from dead. For a dead FPS/RTS, take a look at <a href="http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=17710&from=1352278043" target="_blank">this graph</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's more stillborn, really no one ever played it period outside of one free weekend. NS2 was only stillborn competitively.

NS2 might be switching from fast population crash to slow at 1.5k and thus stick around in the Steam top 100 games for another few months thanks to the Euro pop.

<a href="http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=4920&from=1350450000000&to=End+Time" target="_blank">http://www.steamgraph.net/index.php?action...amp;to=End+Time</a>
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    This type of game people will play for awhile break for a new game and come back again over and over. This game will never die. That being said there a few more options that can boost more play time that is add achievements like in World of Warcraft and Black Ops 2. For example, Aliens - 5 kills from biting marines butt, Marines kill 10 aliens in the eyes, Marines use hatchet to chop aliens head for a nice necklace achievement. Little things can go a long way.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041745:date=Dec 7 2012, 03:22 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Dec 7 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awful optimisation/low performance on a game that doesn't look that great isn't especially likely to keep people around
    Lack of a meaningful tutorial puts alot of new players off, especially in the hand holding game generation
    Badly thought out mechanics once you start to learn the game cut alot of the 'strategic choices' out completely

Essentially the game is still no better than it was in beta, which on release has a tendancy to cause a spike in players which rapidly subsides. What you're seeing now

Actually, the problem isnt that high end machines cant run it, nor that lower spec machines cant, its that it's completely random. I run a standard 3.4 clock I5 and get 40 fps in combat on mostly full settings, yet you, with a clearly better rig, get worse? Its just a result of using their own engine. I mean, its incredibly impressive, but a dumb move to do.

As for the server performance, lag and bad hit detection are pretty rampant, its just masked by most people not getting good enough performance to notice them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Derp, maybe the randomess is bcuz pplz dont know that i7 is not necessarily better then i5 nevermind clearly better -.-
This discussion has been closed.