Black screen on startup.

slayer.faithslayer.faith Join Date: 2007-12-10 Member: 63127Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2012 in Technical Support
SOLVED: Gigabyte video over clock program used overlays. Quitting this let me run it again...

-----

On startup I have a black screen with a windows 'waiting circle cursor'. This is doom for ns2 (cant run it again until reboot.)

It does not happen for the first couple of runs of ns2, but once it happens i cant run the game again without a reboot.

This is a new computer (it was rock solid on my old i5, even with alt-tabbing) but now im getting this black screen of doom (after starting/stopping the game a variable number of times).

The new computer has an nvidia video card (the old one had an ati).

It *isnt* a network issue (obviously) because it does not even get to the main menu, plus other systems on the lan can run it.

Process list shows: spark engine

Process monitor shows: NS2.exe running with 1 thread, running 100% of 1 core (ie in a cpu loop). Consistently it has 46768Mb of ram used and 30072 bytes of read io, 17435 bytes of write io, 0 page faults. Other than the 100% core use, no change over time.

log.txt shows:

Date: 12/03/12
Time: 00:22:49
--------------------------------------------------------------
Build 232
Steam initialized
Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (9.18.13.697)
Sound Device: Speakers (Sound Blaster Recon3Di) 5.1
Record Device: Microphone (Sound Blaster Recon3Di)

Which isnt very helpful ;). dxdiag says:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/3/2012, 00:10:44
Machine name: I7
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/23/12 16:11:04 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16342MB RAM
Page File: 4588MB used, 28750MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

and a whole lot of other stuff... but no actual problems.

reboot will fix the issue. sleep, hibernate wont. Other valve games still start fine (dod, csgo).

Ive reinstalled 3 times, twice from a backup, once from 100% network download. I have verified before each reinstall and a few other times.

Ive tried:

* disable steam cloud sync (no effect)

* removed ns2/shaders and stuff in appdata/roaming/nat..sel...2/*, reverified, downloads, restarted

* ive underclocked my video card (? why not)

Is anyone else having this? Can I run it in a more useful debug/logging mode?

I think i deleted too much from my appdata/roaming/nat..selection2/ folder but that isnt the problem as i only just did that. it just has the log.txt and system_options.xml which i just created before the black screen of doom (so it is doing something). Just those 2 files now.

I do note that it is increasing the '<runs>' value in the system_options.xml even with the black screen of doom.

Im just doing my 4th restore to compare the data from the download to the restore from the previous system... done... no difference in filesystem between restore and downloaded version, so it does not seem to be a filesystem difference. When run, exactly the same stats as above (memory, bytes etc)

It grabs the screen so I cant do any more debugging... i can only open process monitor and kill it (Im a unix admin, not a windows admin, so ideas welcome). (What i wouldnt give for strace :)

It is not listening to key presses as ` quit does not close it down (as it should if it was logically at the main menu but just black screen).

---

i just rebooted and ran ns2 and it loaded and inside appdata there is now a 'cache' directory, so id say the problem is somewhere inbetween updating system_*.xml and creating the cache directory.

(Just incase someone says: its just slow... both the os and steam are on ssd and the process list isnt showing any IO).

Arrg... helpme ns2 community... you are my only hope... helpme ns2 community... you are my only hope...

----

SOLVED: Gigabyte video over clock program used overlays. Quitting this let me run it again...