Are the Kharaa intelligent?

WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
<div class="IPBDescription">See title ^</div>I'm extremely new at this, and this question has been buggering me since I've seen the game.
Compared to a human how intelligent are they?
Are they simply advanced predators that work together real well, or are they capable of higher reasoning, possibly sentient and it's just that they don't show it?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The Kharaa are superior to lowly humans in each and every way, they just don't have the need to cumbersome technology. Besides their Hive Mind > Nano grid because when the power goes down their bacteria will still work :P
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038074:date=Nov 30 2012, 03:56 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 30 2012, 03:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Kharaa are superior to lowly humans in each and every way, they just don't have the need to cumbersome technology. Besides their Hive Mind > Nano grid because when the power goes down their bacteria will still work :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So they are very intelligent, it's just hard to make out from a human perspective because a marine doesn't have much time to tell that when he being torn in half by one =)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    I guess you could say, the Kharaa have the organisation of hive minded creatures (bees/ants/wasps/termites and such), but still have complete control over their own abilities and thought processes as well. Besides most evidence points to humanity being the aggressors by seeking that which is basically the Kharaa's food source (Sludge stuff from the resnodes) and since the TSF have no interest in communicating with them to work on a diplomatic solution, because it isn't profitable. I mean the TSF is based on the war effort and sector control. They own the transportation systems. Put all of this together and you can see how humans (especially the TSF) are quite evil.

This is mostly how I see it though :P
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038086:date=Nov 30 2012, 04:17 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 30 2012, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess you could say, the Kharaa have the organisation of hive minded creatures (bees/ants/wasps/termites and such), but still have complete control over their own abilities and thought processes as well. Besides most evidence points to humanity being the aggressors by seeking that which is basically the Kharaa's food source (Sludge stuff from the resnodes) and since the TSF have no interest in communicating with them to work on a diplomatic solution, because it isn't profitable. I mean the TSF is based on the war effort and sector control. They own the transportation systems. Put all of this together and you can see how humans (especially the TSF) are quite evil.

This is mostly how I see it though :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1, not only I can rip apart people, but it's <i>justified </i>?
    The more I learn about these guys the cooler they get.

And another +1 for something that doesn't follow the humans are good, aliens are bad stereotype.
    Honestly if humans are wiped out or forced to bow to their new masters...I'm OK. If we think we can bully our way across the galaxy we'll eventually wind up taking on something more advanced then we'll ever be, and have a <i>nasty</i> dose of karma.
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    I did an intelligence test once. I chose Kharaa and did nothing. I was shot by a human player soon. So I conclude their IQ is 0.
    <!--quoteo(post=2042537:date=Dec 9 2012, 01:49 PM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 9 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did an intelligence test once. I chose Kharaa and did nothing. I was shot by a human player soon. So I conclude their IQ is 0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But your the one who was controlling that kharaa, wouldn't that mean your IQ is 0?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    They're street smart. As in, "I can't count to 10 but I know how to use this shadow to ambush the ###### out of you"
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited December 2012
    Lore-wise, the actual Kharaa lifeforms are beings created by the bacterium (the hive, essentially) for defense. They are given ample amounts of tactical intelligence to carry out their task, but after the defense is complete they are dissolved back into the hive for resources. They're a bit like robots in this regard: tmhey have tons of knowledge directed towards their tasks, and little to no wasted attention on external things. It's funny to think of a Gorge or Onos attending an art gallery (or Kharaa equivalent), but strictly lore-wise they live and die in combat.

The concept of accepting a surrender is probably quite ridiculous to Marines, but to Kharaa lifeforms it is likely not even something they can conceive of. To what degree the larger bacterium as a whole is capable of complex intelligence, the Frontiersmen can only speculate. I think it's becoming headcanon for a lot of people that the Kharaa hang around and play GorgeBall in between fights, though. =P
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd probably compare them to something like Xenomorphs. Smart and tactical, runs on a hive mind but most still retain their independence if it doesn't conflict with their queen's desires.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    the khaara is a disease, the lifeforms you play as are actually multiple different alien lifeforms. That's why gorgies breed so well! :D
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038072:date=Dec 1 2012, 08:54 AM:name=WhiteWeasel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteWeasel @ Dec 1 2012, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this question has been buggering me since I've seen the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you need some cream?