Res management 101...

maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Some simple basics to increase efficiency</div>Most obvious statement is to plan ahead, the question is how...

One of the biggest mistakes I see Is people getting structures or upgradeing structure before they plan or are able to use them.

Ex1: The second Com chair before AA. Most people drop a second com chair inorder to unlock proto, but upgrading AA takes much longer then building a CC, so unless you plan to use NANO or drop a remote IP you should Upgrade your armory to AA before dropping the second CC.

EX2: Evolve hive before finish dropping RT's. Many kams will imidiatly evolve hive (shift/cara...) before they start dropping RT's this can lead to an early res lock where you are waiting for res to drop an RT you have cysted to. If your not going to drop a hive dependent structure in the next 30 seconds wait and establish you economy. A shift hive by itself does nothing, a spur does nothing, only when that spur is upgraded do you recieve the benifits of having that hive upgraded.

Ex3: 3rd Hive before second hive ability. If you have not taken advantage of 2nd hive abilits you should not be droping a 3rd hive. make sure your players have leap/cara/celer before you drop the third hive.

Ex4: Kams evolve multiple hive traits instead of expainding traits. Everyone has a preference between cara and regn or between celerity and adrenilin, BUT having cara and adrenilin is better then having the ability to choose between cara and regen. Do not start upgrading alternat abilities until you have no other upgrades to evolve....
EX4.5:Kams evolve alter trait instead of dropping hive. If you already have a hive trait dont get the second until you have to. if you already have regen getting cara also will cost you 30res, you could almost drop a second or third hive for that res.... Any upgrade is better then no upgrade so it is better to have regen/celer/silant then to have choices between regen/cara and adren/celer and no shade upgrade.

Ex5: evolving individual upgrade upgrades before team. THis is a tricky one, becasue some players can do amazing things with things like SG/blink. But in general If you can evolve a trait that helps everyone you should prioritize it (armor/weap/cara/celer...) Upgrades like Shotgun/blink/spores only aid a portion of your team but everyone gets the advantage ove lvl 1 armor...

Comments

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    TL;DR, don't randomly click on buttons. You spend res by randomly clicking on buttons. Think about whether what you're doing is actually helping the most, and whether the timing is right.

I disagree about the last one. Shotguns, specifically, are a significant step up from AR. And a single bile-bombing gorge can do more than an entire team with regen can do, given the right circumstances.

What I've seen in pubs is actually an over-reliance on chamber upgrades, when the ones which actually matter the most IMO are the hive upgrades (leap, spores, bile, blink, stomp, umbra, in that order). But anyway, comming aliens is comparatively easy. More help is probably needed on marine side :-) .
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a question re: marine w/a upgrades. If you had only enough res to drop 1 arms lab and get one upgrade going in the early game (after you've secured forward locations and tech points), do you get A1 first? I'm figuring that it might help against glancing bites.

If you still only have one arms lab and you're really starved on res so that you can't drop another lab, which route do you go after the initial upgrade? Get A2 quick, or stick with A1 and get W3 asap?
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    I go a1 first, then up to w3. a3 is more of a luxury once you've got your foothold established. a1 gives you an extra swipe from fades. i try to get jps before i work on a2 and a3, but if im flush with res ill work towards both at the same time. a2 is just kind of a stepping stone as i don't think it gives you an extra bite or swipe or anything of the like, but i could be wrong? maybe an extra gore but that's about it.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    a medpack early game can hold your res + secure you more. when you make your marines die/run back to armory you lose map control, your extractors, and time which are all reason to warrant that medpack.

i noticed this trend decreasing slightly over time since release but still many ns2 commanders just refuse to med
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    edited November 2012
    Not sure what to tell you about 3rd hive but i usually go third hive before i get leap sometimes, actually i rush for as many RT's as possible to the point where i would have 5-6 RT's , once i do that i grab celerity, then drop second hive, while i wait for second hive to go up ill drop third hive, a few moments later second will go up i will have more then enough for leap and i will grab leap/spores/bilebomb/carapace/blink/regen/shade/silence/camo/drop alot of shades/crags/shifts then finally one of the most useless upgrades imo adrenaline, this has worked for me 100% out of the 8 times i have done it, players get mad at me when i drop third before second goes up because they say "what a waste of RES" but i look at it as map control, plus im waiting for second to go up anyway

one more point i would like to make about droping a second hive is that i usually never drop a second to a close command center for instance in Viel if hive would be in sub access i would not drop second hive in cargo, actually i will drop in pipe so my team will have more map control so that when second goes up grabbing a third will be easy-peesy, its a bit risky but droping a shift where pipeline is before droping a hive makes this really easy i would like to see this happen more for alien comm to drop a hive far away from main hive because everytime i do it and second goes up we always have huge map control advantage, and if marines take cargo while we take pipe well either way they go they are surrounded
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    basically except #1 all depends on situation.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pub comm resource management certainly could use improvement, but as long as your prompt with structure/med-ammopack/scn drops and don't accumulate more than 50 TRes at a time, you're doing fine.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Armor 2 makes a significant difference if you have jetpacks, or if they're close.

I prefer to not waste res on a3/w3 before jetpacks are started.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Isn't armour 2 = 4 bites ?
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited November 2012
    wish marines learned that if they get more extractors they get their precious exos sooner

sometimes they have to spend pres on things like mines to make that possible...
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Res management 101:

all that res you were going to spend on armour and weapon upgrades and new guns? Ye, just spend it all on ARCs.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038066:date=Nov 30 2012, 04:49 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Nov 30 2012, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't armour 2 = 4 bites ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought that was at armor 3, but like i said, i could be wrong.

edit: quick math: 100 life + 70 armor (armor 2) = 240 EHP (effective HP) / 75(dmg/bite) = 3.2 (effectively requiring 4 bites) so you were right

a0 (160 EHP) = 3 bites (or 2 bites + parasite)
    a1 (200 EHP) = 3 bites
    a2 (240 EHP) = 4 bites
    a3 (280 EHP) = 4 bites

of course all this is guessing that people in pubs are always landing full damage bites. let's guess 50 is the average damage per bite on pubs just so my brain doesn't hurt:
    a0 = 4 bites
    a1 = 4 bites
    a2 = 5 bites
    a3 = 6 bites
    <!--quoteo(post=2038076:date=Nov 30 2012, 02:59 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 30 2012, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Res management 101:

all that res you were going to spend on armour and weapon upgrades and new guns? Ye, just spend it all on ARCs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Usually I approach your posts with extreme troll prejudice, so I'm approaching this one with that as well.

But I seriously think that ARCs are actually really really good in some locations, especially if rushed early game before aliens are anywhere near bile bomb. If marines cover them well, it can turn into an easy and quick win.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038079:date=Nov 30 2012, 05:06 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 30 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Usually I approach your posts with extreme troll prejudice, so I'm approaching this one with that as well.

But I seriously think that ARCs are actually really really good in some locations, especially if rushed early game before aliens are anywhere near bile bomb. If marines cover them well, it can turn into an easy and quick win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Arc's aren't really feasible to afford before aliens get bile bomb without SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY betting the barn on them working. You basically are deciding to have no guns, upgrades, or phase gates for the next 5 minutes.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    there was a commander once who built 5 AAs....you can guess how that game ended.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038082:date=Nov 30 2012, 03:12 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 30 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arc's aren't really feasible to afford before aliens get bile bomb without SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY betting the barn on them working. You basically are deciding to have no guns, upgrades, or phase gates for the next 5 minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually All-In | Rusty was experimenting with early arc rush in the late beta, and I remember winning games in 3-5 minutes under him, with hive rushes with arcs and the majority of the team. He also experimented a lot with playing without phase gates, which actually also did work well on certain maps. Maybe the teams were stacked. Maybe not.

I don't understand the mentality of "you MUST get this first to win." Sure, some things are very helpful and powerful, but they're not the only way to play. Except sentries and whips. Whoever makes sentries and whips early game needs a slap.

And yes, rushing arcs is "betting the barn," but that's what makes games fun sometimes, and even sets trends if it works reasonably well. Same thing over and over gets boring.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    I threw together a quick google spreadsheet to show the effects of armor levels on various attacks:

<a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqdHXURcTQY4dE9nWkU5cjQxcXhBV2pKODB0b25RMWc" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key...V2pKODB0b25RMWc</a>

I doubt it'll handle multiple users well, but yeah, it gets the idea across.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    I always get 2nd command chair before AA, because nanoshield is overpowered.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    2nd chair is also useful if you think you might have to beacon to that area.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037978:date=Nov 30 2012, 06:49 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 30 2012, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I disagree about the last one. Shotguns, specifically, are a significant step up from AR. And a single bile-bombing gorge can do more than an entire team with regen can do, given the right circumstances.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I conceded this point in my statement.... personally I usually wont upgrade SG/bile/spore/blink unless someone asks for them (IMO most people will waist res on an upgrade just because the can) If someone asks for a SG ill get it and hope they know how to use it, otherwise ill wait until JP are in the near furture (for 10 res JP make SG 10x more effective)....

<!--quoteo(post=2037997:date=Nov 30 2012, 07:37 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 30 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->basically except #1 all depends on situation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sure every game is situation based, but unless you get 5 RT's and the other team isnt hacking them down I believe most of my comments are nessisary

<!--quoteo(post=2038076:date=Nov 30 2012, 09:59 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 30 2012, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ye, just spend it all on ARCs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This should have made my list..... Spending RES on ARC/Turret before your team.... Is a Jacked up thing to do. Invest in your team, a team with lvl 3/3 LMG can do an incredible amount of DPS, so BEFORE you go spending res on turrets/arcs give your team the edge and you wont need gimmiks....EX 3 turrets cost 40 res and 6 cost 65-- for those 6 turrets you could have got lvl 2/1 for your team... If your arc rushing with say 5 arcs thats 100 res your team could have level 2 weapons and level 2 armor...