Alien Vision Suggestion

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey everybody, I've been slightly dissatisfied with AV for some time. I like it, I really do. The problem is I just can't see a reason NOT to use it. I'll try to be brief. I think AV should highlight people/structures based on activity/motion.

Link to suggestion page if you like this idea.
<a href="http://goo.gl/mod/6c4P" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/mod/6c4P</a>

Think:
<a href="http://youtu.be/v5Co3A3fLBo?t=1m20s" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/v5Co3A3fLBo?t=1m20s</a>

Basically I'm thinking:

- Marines stop glowing after 4-8 seconds of being still. Longer if they have been in combat.
- Structures always glow when powered. They slowly lose their glow (30 seconds?) when power is lost. Maybe fade to background color. Maybe fade to less intense glow.
- Mines only glow briefly after being placed. Fade to background color.
- Players/mines/structures always full glow when parasited.

TL;DR (stop here) Make AV similar to "T-rex vision" from Jurassic park. Give stealthy marines a chance.

Some of my reasoning stems from the following experiences:

Mines are nearly useless for even soft defense w/o a marine nearby. AV makes them far to easy to spot and navigate around. Most aliens don't even get slowed down avoiding the mines. The suggested changes would make aliens need to pay a bit more attention and encourage turning AV off so that mines stand out against the background more. Parasiting the mines would be a help to your teammates too (makes them glow in AV).

As a marine, its damn near impossible not to be noticed when hiding. If any part of you is exposed, its a bright orange kill me sign to the entire alien team. Before you say that marines should be hiding, there are many good reasons. I'll give you two examples that can be a great help to the marine team. When I know an Onos is coming to attack a base I try to hide along its path to our base and let it pass me. I dont' shoot it, I will sometimes attack any gorges/skulks following it. When my team has dealt a ton of damage and the Onos retreats, I am in a perfect position to make sure it goes down. This has been critical in some games when we've had to deal with an Onos before we had JPs and could effectively chase it. The other example is when a marine penetrates deep into alien territory. If an alien even glances his way with AV, he is spotted and any surprise you had is totally lost.

I really just don't see a time normal vision is a better choice and AV.

Comments

• includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I do agree there should be a downside OR simply just have it highlight enemies. You pretty much always have to play with it on or you're at a major disadvantage. That sucks because you really miss out on a LOT of the atmosphere of the game.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    edited November 2012
    I found a mod, called <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398" target="_blank">Minimal Alien Vision</a>, which looks great.
    But unfortunately, not many servers allow it (most servers check the file, and if it differs from the default, then they won't allow it, and you'll be using the default instead).
    So far, I've been able to use it on only 1 server (forgot which :P)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nerfing alien vision to make you not want to use it all the time is something that has been tried, and it failed. People want to use alien vision all the time because they want to see things clearly. The problem that needs to be addressed is that it's hard to see things clearly without alien vision.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    Yeah strongly agree with the idea that there's virtually never a situation where you want to turn AV off, which makes the toggle feel pointless.

Having marines glow relative to how much they're moving might be pretty interesting. So even crouch-walking makes you a little harder to detect via alien vision, and being stationary for a few seconds makes you barely show up.
    Well it certainly looks Alien, that's for sure.
    To be honest I only use it in pitch dark and redlight, because to long hurts my eyes.
    And Alien vision doesnt't show the beam of a flashlight around a corner, for example.

However, with that mod I keep it enabled pretty much all of the time...in bright conditions, it's hardly noticable.
    Makes much more sense imo....eyes - even Alien ones - don't have a mode-switch, but try to combine best performance with sensibility-range.
    So Alien eyes just revolved to what they are, in a different world, and should have only 1 switch (open/close).
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Not giving alien vision a downside means alien vision is pretty much always kept on.
    Giving alien vision a downside (e.g. half energy regeneration, like what they tried in the beta) means alien vision is pretty much always kept off.

The former is the better option, as sometimes the colour palette of the game can be quite muddy, and it hard to distinguish between marines and background environment whilst in close-quarters combat, as fast paced as it sometimes can be. Therefore, AV is pretty much required, and needs to be viable to use too (i.e. no downsides).
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037475:date=Nov 29 2012, 04:54 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Nov 29 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not giving alien vision a downside means alien vision is pretty much always kept on.
    Giving alien vision a downside (e.g. half energy regeneration, like what they tried in the beta) means alien vision is pretty much always kept off.

The former is the better option, as sometimes the colour palette of the game can be quite muddy, and it hard to distinguish between marines and background environment whilst in close-quarters combat, as fast paced as it sometimes can be. Therefore, AV is pretty much required, and needs to be viable to use too (i.e. no downsides).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you bother to read my post you would understand that my suggestion HAS NO EFFECT on AV in a combat situation. Well, one effect. "old" mines would blend in better if the marines are fighting on a mined area.

Hell, I think its a stretch to even call this suggestion a nerf. AV remains mostly unchanged for the vast majority of combat situations. I agree that AV is very important in combat. It really help you find the marines while swarming around their legs. I rely on it too and would never dream of taking that away!!

When marines are running/fighting/building/doing crap they will still glow bright "bite my ass off" orange. Marines tend to do these things 95% or the game. Yes I just grabbed that number from nowhere, its also probably correct. This suggestion mostly affects non combat situations. Such as:

Skulk harassing extractors, etc. : Forces skulks to be more careful about mines. As it is, AV makes mines practically useless for defending "cold" spots from harassing skulks.

Marine(s) attempting to sneak : A marine is in a great spot and waiting for the commander to get resources for a PG or sentries or something. If any alien runs by with AV on.... it doesn't matter if you and in the darkest corner ever and only your boot stick out. You. Are. Spotted.

TL;DR AV in combat situations would be essentially the same under this suggestion. This suggestion effects non-combat. It maintain the superiority of AV, while reducing it enough so that there are reasons to switch between modes.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    Alien vision does a great job at doing what it should. It isolates marines and structures from the environment, giving the skulk the advantage.

What it does not do, however, is show you how bright an area is. AV is great for combat, but terrible for setting up a good ambush. I prefer to find a dark corner without AV on, then turn it on while in my ambush spot to easily target prey.

The only nerf I feel it needs is to have it very hard to see when doused in flames.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    have any of you guys played NS1?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I think marines should be a different colour to all the other highlighted structures like Hives/Power Nodes/buildings. There are a lot of glowing objects per room and I think even those Construction Lamps glow orange. Finding a marine who's beside the hive is sometimes hard too b/c of it's small hitbox and same glowing colour.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Marines have dealt with being this visible since NS1. They were able to sneak around just fine, I'm able to sneak around just fine in NS2. Understand that you are easily seen and use you ears to prevent that using vents, cover, and timing.

Good luck soldier.
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    I dont understand what the video is for lol ^^

T-Rex from Jurassic Park is obviously stupid and easy to distract by bright, moving things. Where exactly is the idea for alien vision in this video?
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    The T-Rex in Jurrasic Park couldn't see things that weren't moving.
  • Frosty the PyroFrosty the Pyro Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172703Members
    alein vision has a reduced sight range, most of the time this doesnt mater, but in larger rooms or room/hallway combinations it can make it tough to throw lerk spikes at marines, or cause you to get killed by marines you cant see at all due to range.

As a side note, I tend to get worse performance with hivesight on, so I try to fight with it off, turning it on mainly to find mines, or in dark rooms.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    this like the only game where people go out of their way to obscure vision
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd honestly be happy with aliens by default seeing marines outlined without the need of alien vision and have alien vision as an option who prefer to see the map "clean".
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    anyone who's played NS1 would just say "bring back the NS1 alien vision and give us back hive sight".
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2039684:date=Dec 3 2012, 10:45 PM:name=Amb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Amb @ Dec 3 2012, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyone who's played NS1 would just say "bring back the NS1 alien vision and give us back hive sight".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    uhh didn't hivesight in NS1 update once every second whereas in NS2 it's basically like having wallhacks? it seems incredibly improved in NS2
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...ls/?id=98879398</a>

I think this mod is the best solution for it. It doesn't make the map all plain, preserves the nice texture work and helps the aliens to easily see marines in chaotic combat situations.

There is no need for a drawback when AV doesn't make the world look ugly. Also sneaking as marine is possible. I don't think it needs even more of an advantage. The aliens are the sneaky ones. Marines can do this too, but don't need their hands hold with it.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2039700:date=Dec 4 2012, 01:33 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Dec 4 2012, 01:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...ls/?id=98879398</a>

I think this mod is the best solution for it. It doesn't make the map all plain, preserves the nice texture work and helps the aliens to easily see marines in chaotic combat situations.

There is no need for a drawback when AV doesn't make the world look ugly. Also sneaking as marine is possible. I don't think it needs even more of an advantage. The aliens are the sneaky ones. Marines can do this too, but don't need their hands hold with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huze's AV mod is my absolute favorite as well. To me it seems very much like the NS1 incarnation. Simple, effective, visually pleasing. Plus, you don't run into the problem of not being able to see projectiles & cloaked objects with it like the current AV has. (Makes me really, really sad that AV is consistency checked by default when other more crucial files are left wide open.)
  • bHackbHack Join Date: 2010-03-23 Member: 71059Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2039701:date=Dec 4 2012, 08:41 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Dec 4 2012, 08:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(Makes me really, really sad that AV is consistency checked by default when other more crucial files are left wide open.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you report other 'crucial files' and the outcome of abusing them via PM?

Thank you.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    Marines do not need to be rewarded for standing still and turtling.