Only 500 cocurrent players..

Comments

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So, what do you want? 5 Different types of each alien class and 25 different weapons and exos? It's hard enough to balance even this and there are still problems here and there. What do you expect from a 6-person development team?

Because a game is "the same every time" doesn't necessarily mean it's boring. In CS people more or less play with a AK/M16 and a pistol most of the time, and it's still pretty popular...
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037289:date=Nov 29 2012, 05:32 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 29 2012, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is an extremely linear-feeling game, void of real options.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it takes time for strategies to develop as people discover them and player skill and coordination increases.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037319:date=Nov 29 2012, 06:17 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 29 2012, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037319"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, what do you want? 5 Different types of each alien class?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good thing the alien concept is designed around adding evolutionary upgrades to tweak your units.

Good thing they removed 33% of the upgrades for NS2 too. That <b>really</b> helped things. Boring, passive background bonuses are so thrilling and exciting and help keep the gameplay feeling fresh. So does all these cool abilities aliens can get to fight feelings of repetition </sarcasm>.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because a game is "the same every time" doesn't necessarily mean it's boring. In CS people more or less play with a AK/M16 and a pistol most of the time, and it's still pretty popular...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good for them, those people are also deranged and mentally ill if they can actually still derive entertainment from doing the same thing over and over for half their lives. These people are also the ones who aren't putting time and money into other games, and are thus irrelevant. It's pointless to try to develop a market for these imbeciles. They don't even buy and play the Counter-Strike sequels. Why do you keep acting like these people are role models, that they're the kind of player we all should aspire to be, playing ugly old games from a decade or more ago?
  • GattyGatty Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173236Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2036228:date=Nov 28 2012, 02:26 AM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Nov 28 2012, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->performance sucks, balance is still off (much better w/the alien buffs though), and most people playing are kinda dumb

#1 hugest problem = you need a really powerful rig to run this, sorry but there's no reason to design a game 20% or less of gamers can even run, let alone like

(I run the game great, even tho it crashes sometimes for no reason)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The 'the game requires a powerful rig'-thing just is not true. I've got an approximately 4 year old PC and the game runs fine. Of course I don't get to play in a particularly high resolution and with full effects, but the game does run at a stable playable frame rate.

Some hardware combinations seem to have more problems than others, but it's not the power per se that is the issue.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    Server browser is terrible still
    This needs fixed asap
  • SchleppySchleppy Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155181Members
    They need to make some changes and quickly. Otherwise I can take a break and come back in 6 months and I'll see the same 200 or so people from back in the beta days playing and only those 200 or so people.

UWE, do you like going broke and having a game you spent you blood, sweat and tears on for all these years turn into nothing? Stop listening to these "elite players" who don't give a damn about your bottom line and balance the game around the new players so you can build a solid base. Then tighten things up.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2037586:date=Nov 30 2012, 10:50 AM:name=Schleppy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schleppy @ Nov 30 2012, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stop listening to these "elite players" who don't give a damn about your bottom line and balance the game around the new players so you can build a solid base. Then tighten things up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice assumption... Wonder how you came up with that one
  • DisconnectDisconnect Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173446Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2036197:date=Nov 28 2012, 02:37 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Nov 28 2012, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2036197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem for NS2 has always been retaining players. The trailers look amazing. The idea behind the game is amazing. When you consider this is an indie game, it looks even more amazing. Then people pick up the game, generally have problems with performance (either server or personal), and quit. Performance is still crappy for so many players that they probably won't play it again if they quit. Nobody wants to play sub 60 fps. Nobody wants to play with hitching. And even though performance has increased drastically, it is still not good enough for a huge swath of players who don't own an i5 or i7 with a cpu at 3.5ghz++.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I concur 100%. UW should work on the overall performance of the game and then go through the motions of free weekends and sales on Steam.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Idea good, game bad! :(
  • dissectiondissection Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170914Members
    Is it worth the buy? Still thinking about it and still not sure, especially after reading this thread. Its never a good sign when something like that comes that early...
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038306:date=Dec 1 2012, 07:15 PM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 1 2012, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it worth the buy? Still thinking about it and still not sure, especially after reading this thread. Its never a good sign when something like that comes that early...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    to be very honest, dun buy it.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I've been playing since the early beta, I get 20-40 fps. It makes the game unplayable for me, yet I play it anyway, and get laughed at by others, who cares :)

There are fundamental problems with the engine and the game design, which means this will never be more than a hardcore dedicated playerbase game. It's not about balance, it's about engine limitations and too many eye-candy effects.

Also hit-reg because of flinch animations is terrible. The small flinch's are not too bad, but the big flinch animations cause way too many hits to miss, and it's not fun. You need a beastly machine to run NS2, and it's a complex game that will only ever appeal to a small playerbase. I wish people would understand that. The game is too team focused and is not fun for a new player. They can't shoot the aliens, and as aliens, they can't get close to the marines. It is a very frustrating game for new players. Most of the people playing it now are the old NS1 gamers coming back after the game has been completed, in addition to the beta people that have been around forever.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    edited December 2012
    Regardless of what posters think the game does or did wrong, it's undeniable that the performance issues are the real culprit, and it's come to bite UWE in the a** somewhat. I wonder if such potential optimization issues were weighted before work on the game started.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2038306:date=Dec 1 2012, 06:15 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 1 2012, 06:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it worth the buy? Still thinking about it and still not sure, especially after reading this thread. Its never a good sign when something like that comes that early...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Forums tend to be full of complaining and panicking about. NS1 had a large playerbase for just a mod, and is still being played. Don't think NS2 will die out any time soon, unless UWE stops updating it, which is unlikely.
    edited December 2012
    It seems to have some issues, though. The performance thing is a problem maybe. I have an AMD Phenom II 965 Quadcore with a Geforce 460 GTX 2GB VRAM - how will that turn out in performance?

And: You are right about the complaining in forums. But normally its about some balancing stuff or other things you simply can tell its the usaual yadda yadda that is common even with great games. But that soon after release first doubts on how many players it will have - that always has been a sign for a game dying out really quickly. Dying out means, its only the core fanbase playing it and i never was more than a casual player. When those are not existent in the game it doesnt make sense to me to buy it.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038318:date=Dec 1 2012, 07:16 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Dec 1 2012, 07:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Forums tend to be full of complaining and panicking about. NS1 had a large playerbase for just a mod, and is still being played. Don't think NS2 will die out any time soon, unless UWE stops updating it, which is unlikely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they better move that ass, the hitreg is currently killing the game
  • UruktosUruktos Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162139Members
    edited December 2012
    NS2 tanked while Chivalry exploded because NS2 didn't participated in the last Steam sale. I understand they didn't wanted to make it 50% off, but come on, 20% discount would have made a significant impact. Chivalry exploded, I had to wait 10 minutes to find an empty spot on a server, it's that full.

Next thing is the performance, this is seriously bad, I play it because I like the game a lot but not everyone can tolerate 10-20 FPS during combat (Phenom II x6 1055t CPU, 0ms GPU wait).
    <!--quoteo(post=2038326:date=Dec 1 2012, 12:37 PM:name=Uruktos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uruktos @ Dec 1 2012, 12:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 tanked while Chivalry exploded because NS2 didn't participated in the last Steam sale.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've not played Chivalry but it looks like a casual deathmatch game that anyone can pick up and play. NS2 (like NS1) is a hardcore twitch shooter with steep learning curves for both its combat and RTS elements.

I think the graphics went a long way to drawing in buyers but the gameplay is too harsh for the masses who don't want to invest the time to learn all the mechanics (aiming vs fast aliens, jetpack, fade movement, lerk movement, wall jump) or don't even know about them because they start out at the bottom of a very tall ladder and can't see the top.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038348:date=Dec 1 2012, 07:43 AM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Dec 1 2012, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the graphics went a long way to drawing in buyers but the gameplay is too harsh for the masses who don't want to invest the time to learn all the mechanics (aiming vs fast aliens, jetpack, fade movement, lerk movement, wall jump) or don't even know about them because they start out at the bottom of a very tall ladder and can't see the top.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I personally don't buy that simply because of the explosion of MOBAs. Different genre means weak comparisons sure, but League of Legends has over 100 different characters in it and a couple dozen items you can outfit your character with. Sure, you don't have to learn how to play all 100+ characters but you really should learn all the abilities and how to deal with playing against them, and it gets even more complicated when a character can be built in different ways, and EVEN MORE complicated when you consider a 5v5 situation and how the characters can work together and not just individually. People don't seem to mind how many variables are involved here.
    Thanks to a kind heart i got into the game with a free copy gift. (Thanks, Yuuki) I have played now my first games and I seem to like it. We`ll see, if I end up playing this a lot I may buy it as a gift and bring some new player in as well...
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038322:date=Dec 1 2012, 02:29 PM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 1 2012, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems to have some issues, though. The performance thing is a problem maybe. I have an AMD Phenom II 965 Quadcore with a Geforce 460 GTX 2GB VRAM - how will that turn out in performance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have an amd phenom II 965 as well, together with a amd radeon 6870.
    I have the phenom overclocked to 3.7GHz and it runs the game quite fine. (high gfx settings, ambient occlusion medium, aa off, af 2x)

Since the game demand more cpu than gpu I would say it would be okay in performance for your part, and better if you can manage to overclock it a few hundred MHz :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2038306:date=Dec 1 2012, 03:15 AM:name=dissection)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dissection @ Dec 1 2012, 03:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it worth the buy? Still thinking about it and still not sure, especially after reading this thread. Its never a good sign when something like that comes that early...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you read game forums for game buying advice, you'd never buy any game. I like the game and would recommend it to anyone, but I'd first suggest you do what I do before making that decision:
    - See if any of your friends play the game and/or what they think about it (presuming you and your friends generally like the same games; checking your steamfriends list is a great way to see which, if any, of your friends have the game)
    - Watch gameplay videos and see if this is a type of game you'd be interested. ns2hub.com has a great list of both NS2 <a href="http://ns2hub.com/streams" target="_blank">streams</a> and <a href="http://ns2hub.com/videos" target="_blank">videos</a> that you can watch.

If its not something that immediately peaks your interest, you could always add it to your wishlist and wait for a steam sale. I've found some really fun games just by browsing steam sale lists that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise (my most recent surprise find was FTL).
    <!--quoteo(post=2038379:date=Dec 1 2012, 04:06 PM:name=Hyperforms)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hyperforms @ Dec 1 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally don't buy that simply because of the explosion of MOBAs. Different genre means weak comparisons sure, but League of Legends has over 100 different characters in it and a couple dozen items you can outfit your character with. Sure, you don't have to learn how to play all 100+ characters but you really should learn all the abilities and how to deal with playing against them, and it gets even more complicated when a character can be built in different ways, and EVEN MORE complicated when you consider a 5v5 situation and how the characters can work together and not just individually. People don't seem to mind how many variables are involved here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

MOBAs have weirdly addictive gameplay. The RPG farming/progression is more rewarding as an individual than in NS2. Each creep kill you get, you know that you are getting closer to more powerful abilities and items and it keeps you invested in the game. In NS2 if I kill an enemy or res tower, I feel no direct or instant benefit.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2038525:date=Dec 1 2012, 06:14 PM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Dec 1 2012, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038525"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MOBAs have weirdly addictive gameplay. The RPG farming/progression is more rewarding as an individual than in NS2. Each creep kill you get, you know that you are getting closer to more powerful abilities and items and it keeps you invested in the game. In NS2 if I kill an enemy or res tower, I feel no direct or instant benefit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because RFK "punishes" new players and only rewards good players, so we can't have that.

So let's add a system that punishes players by giving them no res while dead instead of a system that worked in ns1 and made players want to improve through positive reinforcement.

There is a reason the this game bled players like it did.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it worth the buy? Still thinking about it and still not sure, especially after reading this thread. Its never a good sign when something like that comes that early...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. This game has too many problems for a game that costs money.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037332:date=Nov 30 2012, 05:39 AM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Nov 30 2012, 05:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it takes time for strategies to develop as people discover them and player skill and coordination increases.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's more a case of it taking time for UWE to improve the game. Comp play is pretty high on the cookie cutter scale which depends very much on map. Most of the interest comes from 'metagame' and different fps skills than anything really strategically 'baked in'.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038630:date=Dec 2 2012, 03:44 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Dec 2 2012, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. This game has too many problems for a game that costs money.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please. It's a fun game.
  • SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038630:date=Dec 2 2012, 02:44 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Dec 2 2012, 02:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So let's add a system that punishes players by giving them no res while dead instead of a system that worked in ns1 and made players want to improve through positive reinforcement.

There is a reason the this game bled players like it did.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well said.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038630:date=Dec 2 2012, 02:44 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Dec 2 2012, 02:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because RFK "punishes" new players and only rewards good players, so we can't have that.

So let's add a system that punishes players by giving them no res while dead instead of a system that worked in ns1 and made players want to improve through positive reinforcement.

There is a reason the this game bled players like it did.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There was no R4K in the early versions of NS either. And frankly I'm glad it's gone. It might have been justifiable / made sense for the aliens (before they had a comm) but for marines it was just bull######. It meant one good marine could easily carry his team, one good kill streak meant free shotguns all around, or a couple sub-average alien players meant they'd feed more resources to the marines than their RTs.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2037332:date=Nov 30 2012, 02:39 AM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Nov 30 2012, 02:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it takes time for strategies to develop as people discover them and player skill and coordination increases.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oh. btw. sc2 positive communities said the same thing back in 2010. but now, strategies hardly change unless there is a major nerf or buff. and there have never been major shifts since release unless patched.

blizzard also once says that they are disspointed at player performance. well, probably charlie would say the same. its everyones problem. one can always blame the driver for uncreative and boring in a lorry.
  • SpetzSpetz Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7100Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2038710:date=Dec 2 2012, 10:37 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Dec 2 2012, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2038710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was no R4K in the early versions of NS either. And frankly I'm glad it's gone. It might have been justifiable / made sense for the aliens (before they had a comm) but for marines it was just bull######. It meant one good marine could easily carry his team, one good kill streak meant free shotguns all around, or a couple sub-average alien players meant they'd feed more resources to the marines than their RTs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens need RFK.

And what's so bad about one player carrying a team?
This discussion has been closed.