Pay the cost difference when evolving

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">A way to encourage aliens to evolve into higher lifeforms early on</div>Currently there is not much motivation for aliens to go anything else than Skulks if they can avoid it because it's a steep investment usually and -as opposed to marines- aliens have no way of reclaiming their investment after dying.

So what would you think about baiting alien players into going for higher lifeforms early on by allowing them to have the Pres cost of that lifeform fully or partially discounted from lifeforms higher in the evolutionary chain?
Spend 10 res to go Gorge -> pay only 20 to go Lerk later on.
If a full cost discount would be too much, the partially one could be 75-50% of the cost reclaim. So if you went Gorge for 10 res, you would have to pay 8-5 res less for higher lifeforms. Fades would have to pay 37-25 res less to go Onos later on.

But as I said earlier, this all comes under the premise that it "baits" players to evolve earlier in the game. If they die, they lose their investment. One that they might not have made without the system in place and instead just saved for the Onos.

Evolving back into a lower lifeform could be free, but you would only get the discount for that lifeform's cost when evolving into a higher lifeform again later.

In general should it encourage players to spend more Pres and thus give marines a chance to defuse the "Onos Avalanche" that was mentioned in another thread here. And it would also stop to punish players for evolving to an advanced lifeform. If you currently go early Lerk, you throw yourself quite a lot behind in regards to becoming a higher lifeform in the foreseeable future.

My only concern is that it *could* leave good players with too many res throughout the game. But on the other hand does this system not really increase their res gain - they still wouldn't get an Onos any sooner than they would have when they played Skulk for the entire match. Instead it allows them to go more for a "high risk, high reward" kind of playstyle.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    So...permanent Hypermutation?

I think this is a terrible idea. It allows the entire team to go Lerk, the Fade, then Onos instantly the exact moment they get res, and all they have to do is stay alive. It's solving a problem that doesn't exist, and it will only make the Onosplosion worse.

Also, this goes in the suggestions forum.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2012
    Sounds like a cool idea. Do you already have a name for it? I guess "Hypermutation" or something like that would fit pretty good.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Built-in hyperevolution for everyone? Interesting idea.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I actually post most stuff in the suggestion forum, but since I am not so certain about the benefits and drawbacks of this system, I went for the discussion forum here first.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    This was in game as hypermutation, was taken out...... They may bring it back but it opend a lot of doors to abuse the alien res game mechanics
    <!--quoteo(post=2035133:date=Nov 26 2012, 05:16 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Nov 26 2012, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Built-in hyperevolution for everyone? Interesting idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you put the emphasis on "everyone" and it was already in the game, then I may assume that it was implemented in a slightly different way?
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    I imagine you started playing on the official NS2 release?

During the beta, there was an evolution called Hypermutation that you could get by trading off the ability to use celerity or adrenaline.
    This evolution allowed you to do basically exactly what you described - it refunded the cost of any higher level lifeforms when you evolved back "down." For example, if you were an Onos, and evolved back to a Lerk, you would be refunded 45 pres. It also sped up your evolving time.

However, there were some bugs and unintended consequences with this ability, and so near the end of the beta this evolution, along with Feign Death, were removed until they could devote some time to fixing it.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited November 2012
    <u><b>CrushaK:</b></u>

Until we get a 100 res lifeform I'm going to vote no on this, but I do like the idea and it's certainly worth exploring for future balance changes

-
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I'd like to see it in the other capacity - devolving without being punished like you are currently. Maybe not exactly 1:1, but with the alien lifeforms now being in vital 'roles', it's a hard pill to swallow to give up your 50 res Fade because your team needs a Gorge.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2035186:date=Nov 26 2012, 12:57 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 26 2012, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see it in the other capacity - devolving without being punished like you are currently. Maybe not exactly 1:1, but with the alien lifeforms now being in vital 'roles', it's a hard pill to swallow to give up your 50 res Fade because your team needs a Gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like this idea. Would definitely make playing alien a bit more dynamic, even if the need to "downgrade" is pretty rare. I remember seeing some competitive matches in the beta where this was executed quite effectively. Why was hypermution scrapped again?
  • PureHostilityPureHostility Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167579Members
    edited November 2012
    Maybe it could work for additional alien structure, it would be pretty expensive, lets say 35 or 45 tres, It could be pretty fragile, aka shade.
    Dunno about size, nothing too big, smaller than shade.

It would generate an aura for nearby aliens where they can refund their evolutions and swap upgrades (change celerity for adrenaline, etc).
    That evolution process would take 2x more time than by doing it from "fresh skulky".

EDIT:

Evolving player eggs in proximity to that structure could be distinctive, so you had to be sure about what you are doing.
    They would give out location of a player inside the egg, meaning the marines could easily snipe it taking out defensless alien life form.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Hypermutation.

It worked decently except you could evolve incredibly fast, and it made for some surprisingly stupid gameplay, like onos about to die evolving into a skulk around a corner and having the 75 res refunded.

Then again, those problems could've been resolved by tweaking cross-mutation timings, so you couldn't de-evolve onos that quickly
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I do believe he prosposed his idea in the general discussion forum.

Would be interesting!

Can't we just bump up hypermutations 'in combat' time, which alot of other successful game objects now reference?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I dont think it would be too big of a deal if when devolving/evolving you always took the time to gestate that the higher lifeform takes.

I.E. evolving to skulk from onos would take as long as skulk to onos

This removes the "oops you let me get around a corner and refund all me monies!" problem with onos to skulk

Its devestating enough to lose a lifeform, why not let the aliens keep their pres through all lifeforms, provided they dont die.

After all marines can recycle their guns, aliens should have something similar like being able to change their lifeform
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I'm opposed to this idea for a number of reasons. As for marines 'recycling' weapons, you can't recycle an EXO. While other marines can pick up dropped hand weapons, in most cases there is no one around to do so. The marines have a 'fade' equivalent EXO and an 'onos' equivalent EXO, and neither can be 'recycled'. Furthermore, marines can't 'sell back' weapons to the armory for sake of changing their weapon. Even the commander can't recycle dropped weapons.

The only lifeform I would support 're-evolving' in/out of would be the gorge because of his unique gameplay importance. A person shouldn't have to sacrifice a fade/onos just because no one else is gorge. Otherwise, evolution should be a choice that involves commitment.
    Once they introduce the ability to leave Exos, they have somewhat of a recycling by allowing other players to jump into their Exo instead.
    Yes, marines don't have a recycling system that will give them their res for the weapon back. But they have a recycling system that can prevent your <i>team</i> from simply losing an investment that you made when you die. Until all marines in an area are killed, they can just keep picking up a weapon of a killed marine again and again.
    Also, if you have a Shotgun but would like to get a Flame Thrower instead but don't have enough res to afford one, you <i>could</i> as a fellow teammate to buy the Flame Thrower for you and then switch the Shotgun with him. Same as you can leave your gun to someone else before you buy an Exo.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035427:date=Nov 27 2012, 12:44 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Nov 27 2012, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm opposed to this idea for a number of reasons. As for marines 'recycling' weapons, you can't recycle an EXO. While other marines can pick up dropped hand weapons, in most cases there is no one around to do so. The marines have a 'fade' equivalent EXO and an 'onos' equivalent EXO, and neither can be 'recycled'. Furthermore, marines can't 'sell back' weapons to the armory for sake of changing their weapon. Even the commander can't recycle dropped weapons.

The only lifeform I would support 're-evolving' in/out of would be the gorge because of his unique gameplay importance. A person shouldn't have to sacrifice a fade/onos just because no one else is gorge. Otherwise, evolution should be a choice that involves commitment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Asymmetry" is always the convenient excuse du jour for annoying design elsewhere in the game, is it not?
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035212:date=Nov 26 2012, 02:00 PM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Nov 26 2012, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why was hypermution scrapped again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This:

<!--quoteo(post=2035259:date=Nov 26 2012, 03:46 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 26 2012, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035259"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...it made for some surprisingly stupid gameplay, like onos about to die evolving into a skulk around a corner and having the 75 res refunded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It also fully healed you. So an onos that's low on health could pop around a corner, nearly instantly go skulk for a full refund and full health, then go onos again in seconds (if it's safe) and be fully healed.

There was also a bug with feign death (which is why that's also missing) that caused it to trigger for eggs, then reset after you hatch (since you're at full health, which was the trigger to reset feign death), so it was almost completely risk-free if you combined them.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    so only allow hypermutation if you are 100% healthy and if you take damage then you lose the mutation AND the res
  • ViglanteViglante Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168608Members
    i could see this being a "hive 1" tech, something the com has to chose to do or not,
    and having only a 50% return as well posibbly,
    would be nice having another choice at 1 hives other than drop hive quick or were boned as this would cost 30? so almost as much as the second hive itself but have useful properties the full game length.
    more hive 1 choices for alien com are something needed i think?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    the best solution to stop people from stubbornly choosing to eco skulk is to communicate. tell these players to buy a fking fade or lerk and help the team.

getting a bunch of onos is terrible if the marines have some decent players with jetpacks, they'll clean the onos up for free.
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2035689:date=Nov 27 2012, 05:37 AM:name=kk20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kk20 @ Nov 27 2012, 05:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so only allow hypermutation if you are 100% healthy and if you take damage then you lose the mutation AND the res<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, unfortunately, goes against Flayra's vision for this evolution I believe.
    Flayra's own example scenario given a while back was that he imagined a group of skulks going Lerk, I think? Or Onos.. something - Attacking a base, then retreating as a group, going Gorge, heal each other up, then go back to another life form to continue the attack. In this case, I believe the bug is the "free" healing that players were getting.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    the only difference would be a gorge needs to go along or some skulk hangs back and gorges.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    hypermutatuon worked both wayd but this suggestion only goes up

it was also going both ways which caused the abuse

if balanced correctly
    sounds ok

remember the whole team can only 'all go fade' if none of them die
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    cool idea but no. it would be mass gorge/mass fade/mass onos. the old protoss death ball.