Add Jumping Penalty To Marines

13»

Comments

• joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042143:date=Dec 8 2012, 04:54 PM:name=cream)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cream @ Dec 8 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this thread proves how misinformed most players are about movement mechanics back in ns1. watching some people pop terms like "air acceleration" without knowing what it means is just... *sigh*

i don't see how this:
    1) is related to bunnyhopping
    2) is related to skill-based movement
    3) has ANYTHING to do with air acceleration (still laughing over this because, seriously, how misinformed can one get?)
    4) is a problem when you can just look higher and jump along with the marine when he jumps?

the current implementation of jumping for marines in ns2 is not even moderately close to bunnyhopping. in fact "hopping" doesn't even make sense here. it's just marines jumping out of your way and that jumps in ns2 appear to be vertically higher than in ns1.

this has nothing to do with game mechanics, as bad as they are in ns2 already. it's just you who has a problem keeping your screen fixed on the marine and moving along with him. if he jumps, you jump with him. problem almost solved. just gotta move your mouse now. i don't think that's very hard?

surely you don't expect yourself to kill every single marine just by holding down your left mouse button and the move forward button? if so, sorry things aren't as easy for you as you think it should be.

and do you know bite range is actually further than it looks? i recommend spawning a bot and testing your bites on it to get a feel for how far your bite can actually reach. you'd be surprised.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very well said! I agree the jump is fine. There is no 'bunnyhopping' in ns2 at all.. the jump is already really nerfed ..if you try to mash the space bar you end up sitting still.
  • disturbedmonkeydisturbedmonkey Join Date: 2013-05-08 Member: 185170Members
    edited May 2013
    TimMc said:
    QUOTE (Ellen Ripley @ Dec 7 2012, 12:35 PM) »
    Being able to push game mechanics beyond the plateau of skill achieved by the average player is part of what makes a game awesome in my book.

Either way, NS2 doesn't have bunny hopping. It has jumping. Jumping which declines in effectiveness over a short period when spammed.

it dosen't have bunny hopping? you'er serious... so when i see a skulk ambush a marine then that marine's thought process go's *activate pogo mode!* then the skulk see's what is happening or rather see's that the marine has disappeared over his little head and now will soon be receiving fire decides to *activate bunny mode!* and what should be an fight of tactical marine vs feral Kharaa who should have the advantage in a "1 on 1 fight when ambushing* (developer quote) instead i find myself looking at the most hilarious game of hopscotch i have ever seen resulting in the marine haveing more of an edge then thay should in this situation marine's need to have a jumping penalty (or a buffed one if there is already is one i just dont feel a any sort of restriction or penalty when playing hopscotch with a skulk and skulk's should only be able to jump off walls and ceiling's and have to use the leap ability if thay want to jump off the ground or something in that sense
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Jumping in ns2 is way more gimped than in ns1. This makes close combat quite boring as marine only gets that one jump regardless of the terrain he chooses to fight.
    Dem youngsters wanting all gameplay aids they can get ;_;
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Bringing back a 5-6 month dead topic are we? Marines should have a disadvantage in close combat... and they do. A good skulk can easily predict movements use walls and get the upper hand... unfortunately most PUB skulks are content with ground skulking which usually gets them killed even if they were smart enough to ambush. From experience as an ambushing skulk I can in a extremely short time span get a parasite and 1-2 bites in... this is a clear advantage as it will only take 1 more bite early-game and possibly 2-3 more mid-game to late-game. It should never be the case where "oh a skulk is setting up an ambush that marine is dead no matter what". Make it a skill based game not an easily predicted game...
  • reeqlreeql Join Date: 2013-05-05 Member: 185125Members
    Side bunny hoping marine is pain in the ass for skulk. I dont like games whrere jump button is overused. Is hilarious to see rine hopping like little bunny. WTF is that !? Juping should be only designeg only for passing obstackles. In fight there should be great penalitis for that behaviour.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Marine movement is in a good place, IMO. If something had to be done, it would be a boost to the Skulk's mobility.

We have enough clumsy shooters out there. I like the extra dimension to the fights you get from being able to weave around the enemy.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    reasa said:

The thread is absurd. By the time the skulk is close enough to the marine that jumping matters for the marine, the skulk already has all the advantages.
    //thread
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited May 2013
    QUOTE (nailertn @ Nov 26 2012, 07:10 AM) »
    There has been a huge problem with this. The camera view from a marine is very high. Making it very hard to pursue a skulk while spamming the jump button.

Makes no sense. Everyone knows there's an advantage at looking down upon an opponent rather then looking up.
    Er, there is?

I mean, strategically yes because looking down into a valley makes it harder, given natural rock formations etc, to take cover from things above. The ground provides defence against attack from below, and obstacles prevent attack from in front, so strategically the best attack angle is from above. Also elevated positions allow you to get into defilade from below by backing away from the edge, and offer good visibility.

But in NS2, especially in point blank melee, I don't see how it makes a difference. There's no cover mechanic at that point, so up and down are equally awkward. In front is preferable due to it being the way you look to move, above and below are both more awkward to look at.

If anything, the skulk would have a slight advantage there because at point blank, the skulk is on the floor, hence down, while the marine's legs are in front of the skulk. If the marine jumps it throws the skulk off, but it also moves the skulk further down in the marine's view.

I suppose the plus for the marine is he knows when he's going to jump, so he can track down at the same time, while skulks have to react. Marines control the vertical position alteration more than the skulk does, but the skulk has the built-in advantage.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    jumping makes it impossible to bite perfecty in high pings.
  • The-ClashThe-Clash Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178678Members
    Plz remove any penalty for jump!

It was the main reason for me to stop playing CS 1.0 back then.

I have no Problem as Skulk to aim a jumping marine.
    And i hate it to be slowed as marine after a jump.
    Dont kill all skill factors in the game. Make the skulks faster if necessary for balance, but dont make this sport casual.