Time needs to be displayed more prominently.

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Time is just as important in RTS games as resources. Keeping track of time helps not just the commanders but also the team members understand what is generally going on in the game.

Most RTS display time more prominently, and I don't think having it on the tab interface is enough. It needs to be alongside the resources, or on the center of the screen or something.

I think that might hint/help FPS players understand the nature of RTS games a bit better and bring to everyone's attention the tension and urgency that should be present in every NS2 game.

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    So if the opposing team hasn't got a commander, and 90% of their players have been afk since the start, then you better start preparing for an Onos because the 9 minute mark is coming up?

Or you're playing against a marine team that managed to take every extractor on the map in the first 1 and a half minutes of the game, but you don't need to get carapace just yet because you will only see weapons level 2 and above by about the 5th or 6th minute?

Time means nothing in an RTS, the current situation means everything.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    Adding something like a LED clock on the Armory would be a nice visual touch. I agree that time is a very important strategic element, and displaying it may remind players when to expect Phase Gates, Shotguns, Leap, Mines, Fades, Jet-packs, Onos, etc. Not sure how aliens perceive clocks, though.
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I learned fairly quickly that TAB shows the time and it usually takes just one look to give the idea whats going on. Adding another clock is pretty useless.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    It's not useless because counter-strike displays time on tab too I think, and there it means... <i>edit: well okay it doesn't mean "nothing" but it means little - just how much time is left before the bomb HAS to be planted, or how much time is left before the end of the round in UT/Quake for example.</i>

In NS2 time is as important as resources. Every respectable RTS puts time on the GUI prominently at all times, because it lets you know approximately what tech has been reached by your enemy and you can predict the appearance of tech/units based on time with some experience in how the "game goes."

In NS2, you have to press tab to see the time, which is not ideal. It might also have a side-effect of helping FPS people understand the RTS aspect of the game better.

The timer needs to be next to your resources and the node dots and easily visible at all times, by all players.

<!--quoteo(post=2031027:date=Nov 21 2012, 12:46 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 21 2012, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if the opposing team hasn't got a commander, and 90% of their players have been afk since the start, then you better start preparing for an Onos because the 9 minute mark is coming up?

Or you're playing against a marine team that managed to take every extractor on the map in the first 1 and a half minutes of the game, but you don't need to get carapace just yet because you will only see weapons level 2 and above by about the 5th or 6th minute?

Time means nothing in an RTS, the current situation means everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You win by assuming the enemy team is competent and able. Retarded situations such as the above should gradually disappear as the player base matures. There is CLEAR value in being mindful of the time in NS2, as there is in every other RTS. While your "predictions" don't come true often in NS2, neither do they come true in other RTS. There's many tech paths someone might go, but a prominent timer gives a great indication of a range of things you might be expecting at that time, and a range of things that are impossible to have by that time.

If you've played RTS games, you should know that by scouting and looking at the map, you can glean a lot of "passive" information which is sometimes extremely valuable to win. If marines have all the extractors on the map, an able team and commander will know that easily.

It's also safe to assume that what you don't have, the enemy does.
  • FlatkinGFlatkinG Join Date: 2005-03-02 Member: 42984Members
    edited November 2012
    its fine on the tab screen, i don't want to be forced to have more fluff on my hud than i already have...
    would make more sense having it in the commanders hud only, not ground players.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2031027:date=Nov 21 2012, 12:46 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 21 2012, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2031027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Time means nothing in an RTS, the current situation means everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry to call you out, but this is just wrong. Take SC2 for instance, a popular RTS; if you're not paying attention to the clock, you are doing something wrong.

Assuming the other team is competent, certain patterns (or 'timings') reveal themselves as they will be getting things *as soon as they can*. You can exploit and prepare for them. If they other team is incompetent, they will play erratically (and almost always worse). You should plan for the competent teams as you will generally beat the erratic incompetent ones anyways.

Anyways, since when would more information (i.e. a more accessible clock) ever make you worse?