So, is there some hidden "whitelist" for mods?

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
OK, I'm not sure about 230 as it was just released yesterday, but with 229 I noticed some servers which were clearly running mods (console showed mods, and "downloading mods" showed up on the loading screen), with things like votemap, votekick etc. were listed in white in the list, as in "not modded."

Even some official 16p servers had some kind of mod installed (not sure of the name but it listed as a mod in the console).

So, is there some kind of hidden whitelist or a way to make your server not appear as modded when it's running mods? I am affiliated with a server operator and we are definitely interested in running ns2stats (mostly for assists and "/unstuck"), unless the server becomes yellow in the list.

So is there a way to run ns2stats without getting your server flagged as modded and why don't some mods flag the server as modded? (at least in 229). Or maybe it was a bug in the server browser which is now fixed?!?

Comments

• oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    You can bypass the blacklist. Use this admin mod and follow the instructions <a href="https://github.com/xToken/DAK" target="_blank">https://github.com/xToken/DAK</a>
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I feel this should be addressed rather than allow people to bypass it. Make the mods officially whitelisted. Would hate to join a server with some funky mechanics thinking it was core game due to the whitelist features.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    From the readme...

"*NOTE* - If you decide to load this from Server.lua to bypass mod filter..."

Uh, so you can have any mods on your server, you just have to load them through Server.lua (whatever that means?) and suddenly, it's listed as "not modded?"

That's a pretty fail system to flag modded servers if you ask me...
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2030928:date=Nov 21 2012, 12:00 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 21 2012, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From the readme...

Uh, so you can have any mods on your server, you just have to load them through Server.lua (whatever that means?) and suddenly, it's listed as "not modded?"

That's a pretty fail system to flag modded servers if you ask me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Will not work if the client needs to be served something ie download files ect
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Just noticed... maps turn a server yellow... that's not modded! Bah.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2030953:date=Nov 21 2012, 06:47 AM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Nov 21 2012, 06:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just noticed... maps turn a server yellow... that's not modded! Bah.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With the link that I gave about how to get admin pak mod whitelisted? Then your doing something wrong.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2030928:date=Nov 21 2012, 01:00 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 21 2012, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2030928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From the readme...

That's a pretty fail system to flag modded servers if you ask me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but because there's no other solution to get much needed mods like ns2stats or DAK loaded onto servers, I suspect UWE is holding off closing this hole until they have an alternative solution (like a whitelist) in place.