Whips

Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A little too OP right now</div>Whips are now a little too OP in this build. While I think it’s great they actually throw the gl rounds back at the marine 1 whip should not throw all the rounds back. 1 whip will throw on average 3 to 4 rounds from a single gl’er back at them. Hence the problem 15 T res owns 25 P res.

Comments

• RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Nah, marines are just too used to grenades solving every problem.

Flamethrowers, arcs, and good old fashion level 3 LMGs get the job done. Also, if the marine holding the nade launcher is clever, he'll shoot his nades at a nearby fall so that the nade falls next to the whip, or around corners so that the nade doesn't get knocked very far.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Instead of trying to change the game to your needs, you could adapt to the game.
    For example:<ul><li>Shoot grenades at the ground and let them role to the whip.</li><li>Use a LMG to kill the whip.</li><li>Use a flamethrower to kill the whip.</li><li>Use a flamethrower to kill the infestation under the whip.</li><li>Use your pistol to kill the whip.</li><li>Use ARCs to kill many whips.</li></ul>

There are soooo many ways of getting down a fortified alien position. And you can't handle a thing that counters just ONE weapon?
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    i came here to laugh at this topic....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

whips too op, that's a good one ! if you're saying that whips makes gl useless then mayby learn to play as team ? if khammander spams whips then it might not be a good idea to get everyone granade launcher ? mayby ?

if there is just 1 whip however, do you have any idea how fast you can kill it ? 1 lmg marine can kill it in seconds, and it takes 15res from aliens to build one, so basicly he's just wasting resources he could use on onos eggs.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i think whips are only 'OP' when you've already lost the game... i.e. you go to snipe some RT's and the alien commander spams a bunch of whips and crags around faster than you can kill them.

if the alien commander spammed buildings like that if the game was close, he could very well regret wasting those res later.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028751:date=Nov 19 2012, 06:12 AM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 19 2012, 06:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

whips too op, that's a good one ! if you're saying that whips makes gl useless then mayby learn to play as team ? if khammander spams whips then it might not be a good idea to get everyone granade launcher ? mayby ?

if there is just 1 whip however, do you have any idea how fast you can kill it ? 1 lmg marine can kill it in seconds, and it takes 15res from aliens to build one, so basicly he's just wasting resources he could use on onos eggs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH longer than yours.

1 crag next to a whip means it very hard to kill. Work as a team? You must be high, it's almost impossible to find teamwork right now. The game is too young and most players that go marine are used to a single player shooter medal of honor BS.

Though it is strange to find UWE making an alien structure render a marine weapon useless.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028757:date=Nov 19 2012, 02:23 PM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 19 2012, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH longer than yours.

1 crag next to a whip means it very hard to kill. Work as a team? You must be high, it's almost impossible to find teamwork right now. The game is too young and most players that go marine are used to a single player shooter medal of honor BS.

Though it is strange to find UWE making an alien structure render a marine weapon useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

say 'shoot the crag' 400,000 times over in your head.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028757:date=Nov 19 2012, 09:23 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 19 2012, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>1 crag next to a whip means it very hard to kill. </b> Work as a team? You must be high, it's almost impossible to find teamwork right now. The game is too young and most players that go marine are used to a single player shooter medal of honor BS.

Though it is strange to find UWE making an alien structure render a marine weapon useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's because the crag is now OP, not the wip.

In any case, I don't understand the problem. Unless marines are silly enough to get close to whips, they're only good for whacking back grenades, and you want to nerf the latter? You just have to kill the whips first before spamming your nades, is that so hard?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Whips are no longer an entirely useless T.res investment and already people are crying they are OP? They're fine, you could just have one marine shoot the whip while the other lobs grenades, or have more than a single marine fire grenades, drowning the single whip in grenade fire. Or you know, get ARCs instead. God forbid marines actually have to use some tactics/coordination to effectively break a well fortified alien base. (Aliens have to do the same you know)

Also crags are an entirely different problem altogether.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Work as a team? You must be high, it's almost impossible to find teamwork right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you saying the game shouldn't be designed around requiring some form of teamwork and coordination? Just because teamwork is hard to come by on some servers (how about you try comming, using a microphone, and be amazed at how well it works on the average server) doesn't mean the game should cater to uncoordinated or outright solo-play on either side, that would only result in very poor gameplay.

Whips are easy to overcome and there are several ways to do so, instead of crying about a single whip stopping a single GL, you should try adapting first.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whips too OP? Troll thread. I hope.
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028757:date=Nov 19 2012, 07:23 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 19 2012, 07:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though it is strange to find UWE making an alien structure render a marine weapon useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Meanwhile, 20res shotguns can 2HKO a 50res fade.

Unless Marine weapons become nothing more than Aesthetic changes and are just as ineffective at killing Aliens all around, having 1 structure type counter 1 weapon that's annoying enough as is sounds fine with me. If you're dealing with whips then its a position the Alien commander was willing to waste res on to fortify, and you had better be pushing as a team to get into it.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hardly think that whips are OP, but I have always thought it's odd that the anti-structure weapon is countered by a structure. Grenades are supposed to be the solution to a khamm turtling the hell out of an area, but if they turtle it too much then grenades are useless? Just feels wrong, the weakness of GLs should be that the marine can't defend himself against players.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    Good to hear the whips are finally doing a good job, we can now completely remove the no-skill huge reward for very very very little risk grenade launcher and give the marines something else which isn't overpowered as ######.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028746:date=Nov 19 2012, 09:08 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 19 2012, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips are now a little too OP in this build. While I think it’s great they actually throw the gl rounds back at the marine 1 whip should not throw all the rounds back. 1 whip will throw on average 3 to 4 rounds from a single gl’er back at them. Hence the problem 15 T res owns 25 P res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL

if anything they are underpowered. you can literally run past them . only time they are a real threat is when you have an f load of them in one area. most of the time you can just stand out of their attack range and gun them down (if you want)

<!--quoteo(post=2028842:date=Nov 19 2012, 10:58 AM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 19 2012, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good to hear the whips are finally doing a good job, we can now completely remove the no-skill huge reward for very very very little risk grenade launcher and give the marines something else which isn't overpowered as ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GL is fine, its play play not cry cry cherry dawlin
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whips are fine... carry on.
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028846:date=Nov 19 2012, 08:59 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Nov 19 2012, 08:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->GL is fine, its play play not cry cry cherry dawlin<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, completely fine, except for the part where they can shoot it at their own feet and their teammates feer to make them almost untouchable.

Bit too good when turtlin, it also makes everything the gorge has completely useless which is why he needs the ability to build his own whips.
  • Warrior JWarrior J Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172431Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028746:date=Nov 19 2012, 09:08 AM:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain @ Nov 19 2012, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips are now a little too OP in this build. While I think it’s great they actually throw the gl rounds back at the marine 1 whip should not throw all the rounds back. 1 whip will throw on average 3 to 4 rounds from a single gl’er back at them. Hence the problem 15 T res owns 25 P res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I made an account on this forum, just so I could lol @ this.

Once I used a well timed, well placed bone wall to deflect the salvo of a few marines grenade launchers. The grenades that were blocked by the bone wall fell to their feet and blew themselves up.

Nerf that too? I mean, it only costs a few Tres! >_<
  • ViglanteViglante Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168608Members
    if i stand next to a whip (near enough to hit me) and shoot a nade at a whip on the other side of the room -> would they start playing tennis?
    <!--quoteo(post=2028852:date=Nov 19 2012, 11:07 AM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Nov 19 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, completely fine, except for the part where they can shoot it at their own feet and their teammates feer to make them almost untouchable.

Bit too good when turtlin, it also makes everything the gorge has completely useless which is why he needs the ability to build his own whips.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so as usual this isnt a problem with the gl..
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
    The only time I ever see Whips is when Aliens control 90% of the map and their commander is just spamming them to use up res points. Pretty useless most of the time at least now they can be slightly better.
  • HotelEroticaHotelErotica Join Date: 2004-07-14 Member: 29919Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the whip and the craig combo right now as it stands, it actually works as its intended purpose denying marines to a part of the map or buying time for the team to react. If i have craigs and some whips in a hallway outside of my hive it slows down the marines giving the team time to react. I start using them mid game usually as long as tres is going according to plan.
    honestly i like the bone walls better for temp area denial. i also like throwing them up in the middle of a fight to cut people off. ill throw up a bone wall in between a marine team to disorient or throw one up in front of them if they run
  • HotelEroticaHotelErotica Join Date: 2004-07-14 Member: 29919Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2029065:date=Nov 19 2012, 10:59 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Nov 19 2012, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->honestly i like the bone walls better for temp area denial. i also like throwing them up in the middle of a fight to cut people off. ill throw up a bone wall in between a marine team to disorient or throw one up in front of them if they run<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess i ment the whips as more of a permanent area denial, it only slows down a team rush, but it stops the one or two lone wolfs from wandering into your precious RT fields, or persuades them to go with the crowd to the grindhouse since there always tends to be a place where everyone is fighting. I've found if you do it right you'll just eventually get marines to stop going that way unless you get one of those marines with a vendetta.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028757:date=:name=Know pain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Know pain) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's almost impossible to find teamwork right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

www.ensl.org

Also, we rarely use whips in gathers.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For everyone who thninks that the whip's nade whack is OP, this ability is disabled when the whip is on fire.

Try using something else besides EXOEXOEXOEXO JPGL
    <!--quoteo(post=2029076:date=Nov 19 2012, 02:06 PM:name=HotelErotica)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HotelErotica @ Nov 19 2012, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->unless you get one of those marines with a vendetta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol oh man someone make a vid!
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    Whips are actually the only thing Aliens have that can slow down a GL rush (as far as structures go anyway).

Flamethrowers are the answer to everything the Aliens can build, except Life Forms.

GL + Flamethrower = No More Structures. Just hope there are no aliens around to take away your expensive P.Res guns.

Honestly I think it's good that there's a reason to buy a flamethrower, but considering how useless it is to kill other players I think it's heinously overpriced. It should be around 15 P.Res, since you'll rarely <i>if ever</i> kill another player with it. Yes, it's very useful as a <i>teamwork</i> weapon when supporting a squad but it's LOL damage.

Not saying the damage should be upped, it's at a good place, but the expense just isn't worth it for a lot of people since this gun is only really dangerous to structures or when used with larger groups of Marines who are equipped with 'killing' guns.

I can't tell you how many times I've been killed with a flamethrower, only to see two or three kills appear after I'm already dead. Flamethrower is awesome, just a little bit overpriced as a primary weapon that has a tough time killing the other team. Most of it's downsides are easy enough to mitigate with a jetpack though, so probably balanced overall.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029107:date=Nov 19 2012, 03:51 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 19 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips are actually the only thing Aliens have that can slow down a GL rush (as far as structures go anyway).

Flamethrowers are the answer to everything the Aliens can build, except Life Forms.

GL + Flamethrower = No More Structures. Just hope there are no aliens around to take away your expensive P.Res guns.

Honestly I think it's good that there's a reason to buy a flamethrower, but considering how useless it is to kill other players I think it's heinously overpriced. It should be around 15 P.Res, since you'll rarely <i>if ever</i> kill another player with it. Yes, it's very useful as a <i>teamwork</i> weapon when supporting a squad but it's LOL damage.

Not saying the damage should be upped, it's at a good place, but the expense just isn't worth it for a lot of people since this gun is only really dangerous to structures or when used with larger groups of Marines who are equipped with 'killing' guns.

I can't tell you how many times I've been killed with a flamethrower, only to see two or three kills appear after I'm already dead. Flamethrower is awesome, just a little bit overpriced as a primary weapon that has a tough time killing the other team. Most of it's downsides are easy enough to mitigate with a jetpack though, so probably balanced overall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The gun should be worth the expense, not the other way around. It's late-game tech so it should be expensive, I don't think anybody wants to see flamethrower spam from it being too cheap. The current flamethrower is a really weird weapon because instead of any obvious benefit it has a collection of obscure ones(it drains energy! also it burns spores! oh yeah and it stops whips from reflecting grenades!). The whip thing in particular is an incredibly random benefit that there's no way to ever figure out except by word of mouth. Feels like they've just been stacking new things on there in an attempt to give the weapon a purpose. IMO flamethrowers should significantly hinder both energy regen and healing(from regen/gorges/crags/hives, for players and structures alike), and that's it. Make the flames last long enough that it's a significant hindrance to alien hit-and-run attacks. That feels like an intuitive purpose and a valuable function without any other gimmicks.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029194:date=Nov 19 2012, 03:05 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 19 2012, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Feels like they've just been stacking new things on there in an attempt to give the weapon a purpose. IMO flamethrowers should significantly hinder both energy regen and healing(from regen/gorges/crags/hives, for players and structures alike), and that's it. Make the flames last long enough that it's a significant hindrance to alien hit-and-run attacks. That feels like an intuitive purpose and a valuable function without any other gimmicks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It actually does both those things, with varying <i>degree's</i> of success. (God hate's punsters.) It has a damage-over-time component that helps to mitigate healing for the Aliens as I believe it keeps them stuck on 'in combat' numbers. It doesn't do much more than that though, which is why I don't feel it's terribly worth it for what, 25 P.Res? It might kill a few skulks, but unless you have a jetpack it's pretty likely that you'll be dead before the skulk will. Like I said, I think the flamethrowers only balance in making it useful is a jetpack. Without one, you're kind of a sitting duck. There is no denying that a flamethrower trooper inside the enemy hive is going to be a bad day for the Aliens though, so it's fine as a balanced hive assault 'class' that you pay 35 P.Res for. With 40 P.Res you'll be the best Exo protection around. (Add a welder.)

You get to keep your pistol with the flamer though, so really if you pop them with a pistol clip and switch to flamer you'll probably do ok versus one skulk.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029214:date=Nov 19 2012, 04:19 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 19 2012, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It actually does both those things, with varying <i>degree's</i> of success. (God hate's punsters.) It has a damage-over-time component that helps to mitigate healing for the Aliens as I believe it keeps them stuck on 'in combat' numbers. It doesn't do much more than that though, which is why I don't feel it's terribly worth it for what, 25 P.Res? It might kill a few skulks, but unless you have a jetpack it's pretty likely that you'll be dead before the skulk will. Like I said, I think the flamethrowers only balance in making it useful is a jetpack. Without one, you're kind of a sitting duck. There is no denying that a flamethrower trooper inside the enemy hive is going to be a bad day for the Aliens though, so it's fine as a balanced hive assault 'class' that you pay 35 P.Res for. With 40 P.Res you'll be the best Exo protection around. (Add a welder.)

You get to keep your pistol with the flamer though, so really if you pop them with a pistol clip and switch to flamer you'll probably do ok versus one skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The damage over time is trivial in the presence of healing. It doesn't even stop out-of-combat Regen, and it doesn't last very long either. I'm talking about actual healing-inhibition as a special effect of the flames - it more or less makes sense, and would be useful both for defense against hit-and-run attacks and for assaulting hives or crag bases. To add some skill to it, the duration should stack based on how long the flames were applied.