Skulk Jump Basics w/Bitey

BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">From the L2pns2 stream</div>Check it out for a basic understanding of how to skulk jump, this is broken down to the very basic parts of how to become a succesful skulk wall jumper!

<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/l2pns2/c/1740057" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/l2pns2/c/1740057</a>
The main teaching starts about 9 min in, prior to that was just waiting for players from the twitch chat to join in for a personalized group lesson. If you were there, hope your having fun with your newly learned skill!

Comments

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rEj5d0tE8k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rEj5d0tE8k</a>

Also available on youtube!
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited November 2012
    Also available in colorful text!

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->Fall<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--coloro:#008000--><span style="color:#008000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->, Then <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->J<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#9932CC--><span style="color:#9932CC"><!--/coloro-->u<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->m<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#48D1CC--><span style="color:#48D1CC"><!--/coloro-->p<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro-->!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <a href="http://youtu.be/jwL9bWq-En8" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/jwL9bWq-En8</a>

Your technique seems very different from this... I feel advantages in both systems... Do you not want to look off the wall at a certain angle for maximum speed gain? There seems to be a lot of conflicting methodologies out there.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2028574:date=Nov 18 2012, 11:48 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 18 2012, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://youtu.be/jwL9bWq-En8" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/jwL9bWq-En8</a>

Your technique seems very different from this... I feel advantages in both systems... Do you not want to look off the wall at a certain angle for maximum speed gain? There seems to be a lot of conflicting methodologies out there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you want to be facing parallel to the wall or away from it when you press your jump key for the best boost to move speed

if you face toward it too much, your jump will just launch you into the wall and you'll lose speed

<strike>looking up or down doesn't affect your speed boost but </strike> wtf NS2, wtf. it helps to look up to "chain" the jumps so you don't land on the floor

there really shouldn't be conflicting methodologies, considering the movement is pretty much equal in all directions and there's no aircontrol to speak of :o
  • XeiZXeiZ Join Date: 2012-04-13 Member: 150384Members
    edited November 2012
    So cute , all those little skulks in skulk school. =)

edit: but locklear you need to shut up more when someone is explaining. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Would have have been nice if there was less talking over the top of bitey, three times he was explaining things but couldnt hear him due to channel promotion.

Nice video though, strangely adorable seeing all the skulks jumping together :3
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I was a promo ######, next tine I will shutup! More of this stuff soon!
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2028584:date=Nov 19 2012, 04:00 AM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 19 2012, 04:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2028584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you want to be facing parallel to the wall or away from it when you press your jump key for the best boost to move speed

if you face toward it too much, your jump will just launch you into the wall and you'll lose speed

looking up or down doesn't affect your speed boost but it helps to look up to "chain" the jumps so you don't land on the floor

there really shouldn't be conflicting methodologies, considering the movement is pretty much equal in all directions and there's no aircontrol to speak of :o<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm pretty sure you gain a higher speed boost from falling from a higher point to a lower point, and if you jump up you always initially get to a higher point....

I've done a bit with skei's style, but I find it dangerous for making you smash your head into the ceiling, which of course saps all your speed. It's hard to master the mouse movement there too, I wish he'd slow it down a bit in his video to show off the exact timing he's using for where he's looking and when he's pressing the jump key and what not.

I didn't know the outright parallel jump thing was actually very effective. That's what I did when I started trying to walljump, but it never seemed a reliable speed boost, and the pattern is fairly predictable. I probably looked into the wall too often. I guess I have more practice to do.
    Using Biteys method you can get 12 speed (leap speed/max speed) throughout the map.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    They somewhat recently changed wall jumping to the current style, where you gain speed from descending. There is no timing to the jumps, all your using successive jumps for is to maintain the speed gained. Why they made this change i do not know nor do i agree with, but the old style required more jumping and use of your view angle.
    <!--quoteo(post=2029142:date=Nov 19 2012, 01:26 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 19 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They somewhat recently changed wall jumping to the current style, where you gain speed from descending. There is no timing to the jumps, all your using successive jumps for is to maintain the speed gained. Why they made this change i do not know nor do i agree with, but the old style required more jumping and use of your view angle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, the old wall jumping was cooler, it just needed a speed cap imo.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029142:date=Nov 20 2012, 07:26 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 20 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They somewhat recently changed wall jumping to the current style, where you gain speed from descending. There is no timing to the jumps, all your using successive jumps for is to maintain the speed gained. Why they made this change i do not know nor do i agree with, but the old style required more jumping and use of your view angle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought timing your jumps off walls like this was to make sure you never had ground friction applied? So successive jumps do end up gaining you speed. Atleast that's what it seems to me both from doing and watching this methodology of walljumping (the skulk model doesn't turn to attach to the wall before jumping, just jumps off air). I don't read code very well so could be very wrong.

If this is whats going on, i find it kinda amusing that walljump has ended up in a place where the best way of gaining speed is through an 'exploit' of sorts. Very interested to see what the anti-bhoppers will say about this.

anyway, nice walljump class bitey!