Matchmaking

eaturbrainzeaturbrainz Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171602Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Because player skill is too huge a variable to ignore</div>Many of the discussions I've seen on these boards are mostly complaints about how over-powered something is, and the most common "solution" I've heard from the community is either it's because you suck or the slightly more polite "just get better" response. From the matches I've played, 90% of them get completely ruined because there's one person on either team who is miles better than anyone else (Avg. K:D - 1:1, "that guy's" K:D - 12:1).

Basically, what I'm suggesting is some form of matchmaking. Of course there are many different ways to execute this. Below are some of my ideas.

Idea #1: One of the best matchmaking systems I've seen was with Halo 2, where each player had an overall rank of 1-50 (1 being rookie, 50 being super-pro) and when you join the queue, it matches you with and against people close to your rank. You win, your rank goes up, you lose, it goes down.

Idea #2: The game already has the Rookie Tag to signify players who may need help. A simple implementation would be a "Pro", "Veteran", and/or "Clan" tag that a player can voluntarily enable to encourage like-skilled players to play against/with each other. It can also serve a double function of informing the other players in the game what they're up against, or maybe in the future, have an influence on auto-balancing as players leave and join.

I have hastily stated this before, but it was in direct response to a "just get better" comment left by someone else, and got quickly ignored. I hope that more ideas of this nature can be proposed, and I seriously hope at least one idea generated by this discussion makes its way into the game.

Comments

• SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    NS2 is a team game not just a death match, how do you quantify a good gorge for a bad one?

I do not think you could come up with a good matchmaking system for this game and I don't think the game needs it. There is currently a huge number of players that don't understand the mechanics of the game but that will stop being true a month or two from now.

Plus if you are only ever playing against people of equal skill you will never get better.