Crags allowing turtling

Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Possible explanation for the major balance shift?</div>It seems as if the changes to healing rates for crags to a percentage base in 229 has made mature hives nearly invincible except to concentrated heavy fire. I've spent a decent amount of the last few days Khamming, and having ~3 crags dropped next to a hive seems to heal it for hundreds of points of damage per tick, rendering that hive effectively invulnerable to anything besides a concentrated assault involving either grenade launchers or ARCs (both of which force the crags to spread their healing love around). While I appreciate hives not being vulnerable to a couple of sneaky marines with switchaxes, there's an issue here when the majority of the marine team can be standing in place pouring LMG fire into my hive, and it costs me (at most) a few res for healing waves from those crags. If my hive layout is such that there aren't many buildings near the crags (basically, I've built a hive room that lets my crags focus on healing the hive) it's incredibly hard for marines to wipe out the hive, and if they target the crags, Heal Wave keeps them alive.

I'm all for having Crags be useful healing aliens (high minimum heal amount to let skulks heal quickly, decent percentage heal amount to let Onii heal relatively quickly) but this feels a little silly when you apply it to something like a hive.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited November 2012
    Well you're intended to shoot the Crags before the hive. Shooting the hive first is like going for the Power Node when the turrets are still pointed at it; you need to either have a serious amount of force in that attack, or you need to take a few seconds to clear out the defenses.

Heal Wave lasts for maybe 5 seconds? That's a lot of res you're burning to keep a Crag up, and that's if you only need one wave at once to hold up concentrated LMG fire on your crags, which is usually not the case.

I would like to see Flamethrowers disable Crag Healing and Shade Cloaking on burning structures though; it would buff their usefulness and solve this issue pretty quickly.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    That is partially the problem. I've just gotten off a game in mineshaft where Deposit pretty much held it's own against most of the marine team (with 8 crags involved) for 10+ minutes, including exos and GLs being involved. Once they finally came INSIDE, saw the crags, and flamed them out, the hive went down in about 30 seconds. Maybe you've got a point there... it forces marines to actually enter and secure a hive, rather than sniping it from outside with concentrated fire.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026351:date=Nov 16 2012, 06:13 PM:name=Shrike3O)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrike3O @ Nov 16 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is partially the problem. I've just gotten off a game in mineshaft where Deposit pretty much held it's own against most of the marine team (with 8 crags involved) for 10+ minutes, including exos and GLs being involved. Once they finally came INSIDE, saw the crags, and flamed them out, the hive went down in about 30 seconds. Maybe you've got a point there... it forces marines to actually enter and secure a hive, rather than sniping it from outside with concentrated fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's probably why they changed that...
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    I've seen and done crags around a hive to the point of, 8 duel exos walk in. Marine comm screaming SHOOT THE HIVE NOTHING BUT THE HIVE! Aleins are kill the exos and alien commander looking at the hive (me) hmm hive not being touched.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Marines can turtle on one base for hours on end against the aliens. Now aliens can turtle too. Sounds balanced to me.

Problem? :P<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited November 2012
    8 crags cost 80 resources. Healing wave on 8 crags costs 24 T.Res every 8 seconds.

Sounds balanced to me. Especially since it makes people LOL a little less at a flamethrower. It's a beast, and now has a chance to shine and be worth the massive P.Res and T.Res requirements for it's use. (Not that it wasn't useful before, but perhaps more so now that people are using aliens structures a little more wisely.)

Also, crags were useful for the exact same reason before the change. Can't say if it's a significant difference from the way it was, but I was using them before in the same way with pretty much the same result.

Oddly enough, it wasn't as effective before simply because I played against Marines that actually used Flamethrowers. Without them, and without shooting the crags, yes it would be rather difficult without GL's and/or Flamethrowers supporting your two or three Exo's. Good teams do this, bad ones don't. Same logic behind the Alien team having a few gorges and lerks to support a few Onos. It's simply more effective to have a few of each, rather than all the same structure/life form when attempting an assault mid-late game.
    Thing was, you used to have to build 8 crags to get a noticeable heal out of the deal (80 per tick, across a max of 3 structures). Now it's percentage based, and so a lot more effective... 3 seems to do the trick in the face of anything except a concentrated assault, and that's without using Heal Wave most of the time. I don't necessarily think it's a game breaking problem, but the 228->229 changes took us from roughly 50/50 marines/aliens to 40/60, and I'm thinking this had a lot to do with it. I'm a little concerned that the response is going to involve doing something silly on the marine end, rather than tuning crag healing to do less for buildings, more for lifeforms.
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    or, jsut maybe, the marine commander will ahve to break out the ARCs.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026390:date=Nov 16 2012, 07:40 PM:name=drilltooth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drilltooth @ Nov 16 2012, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or, jsut maybe, the marine commander will ahve to break out the ARCs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I admit it, I LOL'ed at this.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    I just started using crags...finally they are useful.
    10hp per tick was just unspeakable.

one harvester has 2500 HP or sth like that.
    healing one harvester with a crag (10 res each) is a little bit redundant. but keeping the res flow steady is good.and the crag provides defense for later assaults, too.

I never used crags but in the very end to asssist the last assault. now you just need 2-4 of them isntead of 6-10.
    and they do really well for an expansion. and defending the hive. (it heals sooo slowly on its own)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited November 2012
    Shades already radically alter the environment they are dropped in (Ease of countering nonwithstanding), and Shifts' abilities for mass team relocation and energy regeneration can allow for some truely amazing plays; Gorges and Lerks in particular love the hell out of them. I don't see anything wrong with Crags being a game changer as well, especially considering how much more expensive the tree is.
    Fair enough. Hopefully, the balance tweaks in response to this are more interesting things (like the flamethrower, mentioned above) than gamebreaking things (exos doing even more damage). We'll see.
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    one word: Gnade-Launcher
    Coordinated volleys of grenades (multiple users firing at once) can get enough burst damage going to break up the crags, yes. A single GL operator has noticeable issues generating enough burst damage to counter the healing. It helps if the grenades are hitting the crags, rather than the hive; placement makes a noticeable impact on this. The radius in which a crag can heal is actually larger than the blast radius on a grenade launcher, and that's not including the thickness of a hive.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026390:date=Nov 16 2012, 09:40 PM:name=drilltooth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (drilltooth @ Nov 16 2012, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or, jsut maybe, the marine commander will ahve to break out the ARCs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

heresy!
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026444:date=Nov 16 2012, 09:49 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 16 2012, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shades already radically alter the environment they are dropped in (Ease of countering nonwithstanding), and Shifts' abilities for mass team relocation and energy regeneration can allow for some truely amazing plays; Gorges and Lerks in particular love the hell out of them. I don't see anything wrong with Crags being a game changer as well, especially considering how much more expensive the tree is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. Before the patch, crags were only really effective at healing lower level lifeforms in a reasonable time. Even if a khammander has dropped a massive farm of them, if you're an onos, or even a fade, often it's quicker to just go back to the hive to heal up. If an onos requests a bunch of crags in a forward location to assist with seiging, I will often just drop a shift and drop a bunch of gorge eggs instead (forcing the next people to spawn gorge around that location). Does the job about 10x quicker than a crag farm ever would.

Having crags actually be good enough to be useful isn't a bad thing..

Sure the active heal speeds things up a bit (I'm not sure just how significantly), but that doesn't mean the passive heal has to be absolutely terrible.

As you said, shades may be counterable, but they're still good. Shifts are good too. There's no reason crags need to be nerfed (too much).

The fact that it allows aliens to turtle better isn't a good reason, considering marines are the kings of turtling already. A few crags aren't going to change that.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    By Flayra's own admission the changes in the last patch went WAY too far for the craig upgrades and chamber power. He claimed they will be reverted (although I'd personally prefer a middle ground)

So you guys don't really need to worry about craigs being overpowered right now.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    when looking at the stats dont forget that 228 has a much bigger sample size, where in the beginning aliens most likely did not use shifts + hatch that often or in general, people were not used to melee combat and the average new comer needed time to adjust.

now the stats (for 229) have been wiped and we continue tracking at a time where people know better how to play aliens, and its very much possible that, even without making any changes, 229 would make us think that aliens win 10% more games? which would be kinda absurd. i played about 30 games in public since 229 and have seen so far only in 2 games camouflage being used (1 with successful alien win) and 1 game where early regeneration lead to victory. all the other alien victories were due to quick forward shift + hatch, capture as many RTs as possible while your skulks pressure the marine team as much as possible with respawn from the middle of the map + basically unlimited eggs from shift(s).
  • Draco HoustonDraco Houston Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167145Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026681:date=Nov 17 2012, 05:18 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Nov 17 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when looking at the stats dont forget that 228 has a much bigger sample size, where in the beginning aliens most likely did not use shifts + hatch that often or in general, people were not used to melee combat and the average new comer needed time to adjust.

now the stats (for 229) have been wiped and we continue tracking at a time where people know better how to play aliens, and its very much possible that, even without making any changes, 229 would make us think that aliens win 10% more games? which would be kinda absurd. i played about 30 games in public since 229 and have seen so far only in 2 games camouflage being used (1 with successful alien win) and 1 game where early regeneration lead to victory. all the other alien victories were due to quick forward shift + hatch, capture as many RTs as possible while your skulks pressure the marine team as much as possible with respawn from the middle of the map + basically unlimited eggs from shift(s).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It looks so funny when a lone marine finds a forward shift. As they're taking out the eggs 10 more come out and by the time they have the shift killed people have spawned and no ground is lost.
  • pendelum5pendelum5 Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164317Members
    As a lone Dual Exo, I managed to massacre my way through Onos after Onos to get to the hive, and began my assault. Despite the near endless stream of Lerk spines, I managed to get out-healed by a cluster of crags <i>just</i> behind the hive in such a way that I had to advance into the infestation. Even then, I was getting <i>out-healed</i> with an entire 'clip' of Weapons 3 Dual Minigun. Please nerf crags, or at least nerf how they stack heals. It's seriously annoying to be thwarted by a few bone-walls while crags out-heal your DPS.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2012
    I've noticed that it's really hard to take a harvester down when a crag is healing it, but when you target the crag it does go down really fast.

I think it's awesome crags are finally worth the res, instead of something you spam around and whine about lol.

About regen buff, I don't know. It might prove overpowered, it's a really fine balance to find. But hell, ATLEAST YOU CAN USE IT NOW, before you'd hardly ever take regen over cara, maybe on a lerk or something...
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026276:date=Nov 17 2012, 12:43 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 17 2012, 12:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see Flamethrowers disable Crag Healing and Shade Cloaking on burning structures though; it would buff their usefulness and solve this issue pretty quickly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And disable in combat regen. Finally useful against buildings instead of just lerks