Natural but VERY dark Lighting

jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
<div class="IPBDescription">help</div>I was wondering if anyone could help with an issue I am running into. I need to make a map that is VERY dark but still naturally lit. (think amnesia) I am running into light spot issues. It looks very unreal when I add lights to an environment that is SO dark.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You can use the light _ambient to at least have a bit of light in there to smooth it out. The thing with a dynamics light engine is that you have to fake bounced lights to some extent.

This can be done with the light_ambient, but also with varying lights that go down in intensity from the source light. The second option would require about 3-5 lights surrounding a light source each at a longer distance and lower intensity.
  • jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    we are trying to avoid ambient because we do want DARK spots. I think the 3-4 light sources may be the key. to give the light a natural look. not just a circle of light on the floor
  • RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
    edited November 2012
    To get the Amnesia-vibe you will have to combine Ambient Light with Spot Light. Ambient Light doesn't cast shadows, but Spot Light do. Ambient Light can't have any Atmospheric density, but Spot Light do. Spot Light has sharp edges that can't be softened properly, but Ambient Light can fix that. Or regular Light if you want. It can be used to ease up the edges.

I mostly only use Spot Light when I want to cast Shadows and make some kind of dusty atmosphere. It's just a matter of increase outer and inner angle properly and keep the spot light at a certain distance.