Don't be an Angry Child

reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">A half-hearted plea for moderation</div>I've been playing NS for waaaaay too long, and one of the things that attracted me to this game and this community in the first place was how involved people were, but also, compared to many other online games, how civil they were.

Not that this is a barbarians at the gate cry for help or anything, but I have noticed a marked increase in outright hostility towards "Noob" players or anyone who doesn’t play the way the person shouting thinks is best.

Most recently I was on several servers, specifically labeled as beginner friendly, only to have new coms, on both teams ripped to shreds over the mic. It always seems to be the people using mics with the nerdiest damn angry voices too. Just an observation.

These players have to learn somehow, and if you feel you’re a super-elite pro, who is going to flip out and have a small mental breakdown over the internets because you know a newb commander is blowing the game, maybe avoid beginner friendly servers?

Commanding isn't easy to learn, and the only way to really learn is to gain experience doing it in a real game. Try and help the new commander rather than shouting at him/her.

Beyond that another thing I have noticed is people ejecting commanders who don't use a mic for that reason alone, which is just stupid. I rarely use a mic when playing, yet I've commanded successfully dozens of times. The system in the game for issuing orders is perfectly effective, and in my experience often better than trying to shout over people the random room locations where something may be going down.

So, in summation, I know this community is expanding and changing rapidly, but let’s not lose what makes it great. Because the only thing worse than having a noob commander for a game is when everyone runs off and you have no commander because no one wants to deal with the grief or they never got a chance to learn.

Comments

• xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    edited November 2012
    The problem with newb players is they don't
    1. Tell the team they are new
    2. Do not ask advice for what to do.

So what you end up getting is an idiot who thinks they know what they are doing. Does random crap and makes everyone loose.
    If the player said they were new and asked for advice it would be a different story.

Eesentially its not a question of being an angry child.
    Its a question of having a 5yr old comm that thinks they know everything.

-----
    Case in point some one joined a non-rookie friendly server. Jumped in comm. Did not talk to his squad. Just started building randomly. Essentially we had gernade launchers as our first upgrade before we had even level 1 weapons and armour.

Funniest statement I heard a comm say was - Dude I played Starcraft, I know how to play an RTS.
    I was dumb founded.
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026092:date=Nov 16 2012, 08:51 PM:name=reasa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (reasa @ Nov 16 2012, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been playing NS for waaaaay too long, and one of the things that attracted me to this game and this community in the first place was how invloved people were, but also, compared to many other online games, how civil they were.

Not that this is a barbarians at the gate cry for help or anything, but I have noticed a marked increase in outright hostility towards "Noob" players or anyone who doesn’t play the way the person shouting thinks is best.

Most recently I was on several servers, specifically labeled as beginner friendly, only to have new coms, on both teams ripped to shreds over the mic. It always seems to be the people using mics with the nerdiest damn angry voices too. Just an observation.

These players have to learn somehow, and if you feel you’re a super-elite pro, who is going to flip out and have a small mental breakdown over the internets because you know a newb commander is blowing the game, maybe avoid beginner friendly servers?

Commanding isn't easy to learn, and the only way to really learn is to gain experience doing it in a real game. Try and help the new commander rather than shouting at him/her.

Beyond that another thing I have noticed is people ejecting commanders who don't use a mic for that reason alone, which is just stupid. I rarely use a mic when playing, yet I've commanded successfully dozens of times. The system in the game for issuing orders is perfectly effective, and in my experience often better than trying to shout over people the random room locations where something may be going down.

So, in summation, I know this community is expanding and changing rapidly, but let’s not lose what makes it great. Because the only thing worse than having a noob commander for a game is when everyone runs off and you have no commander because no one wants to deal with the grief or they never got a chance to learn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I run into a new commander, I ask:
    1. Do you have a mic?
    2. Oh you don't. Okay. Can you at least acknowledge that you understand us?

Communication is essential. If you don't have a mic, then you better be damn responsive. "Commander, lay down your harvester in Crusher." (waits a decent time...nothing happens), "Okay, Kick him".

You might say that the system's commands are effective, but giving a personalized order over the microphone is hands down the best way to get someone to do what you want.
    Here's what I think are the requirements for commanding:

A)
    -Don't have a mic
    -Not green colored, and at least 8 hours in
    -Playing on a green server
    -Can name and understand every building type (not the advanced stuff, just the basics, like Crags heal)
    -Watched YT tutorials OR played extensively in Explore mode

B)
    -Have a mic
    -Not green colored, and at least 8 hours in
    -Playing on a green server
    -Can name and understand every building type

A or B is acceptable.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well there is always the vote to eject thing you can do... Also I see it on pubs all the time, NO ONE goes commander and either I or another knowledgeable player has to jump in. Even though I prefer to be out in the field it is kinda fun, but just not my thing. I'm an FPS player not an RTS guy (the button pushing in chair, not the strategy bit)

So yeah, a guy in the chair instead of none is always better and tell me, once you eject is someone taking over? :P
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We can't stress enough how important it is to maintain a civil community. I'm sure there are new players that may not act appropriately, or not make it clear that they are new, but just try and take a deep breath and display patience and understanding anyway.

It is really remarkable how often reviewers have mentioned, often with surprise, how friendly the NS2 community is in comparison to other game communities. That is something that we should all be extremely proud of, and despite the frustrations of playing with someone who has no clue what they are doing, just keep reminding yourself that the more we foster a friendly, welcoming environment, the more players will be encouraged to both try NS2 for the first time, and to stick around to learn the ropes. And hopefully they will in turn pass along their knowledge in the same helpful and welcoming way that they were themselves treated.

More players is good for the longevity of the game and if you enjoy playing NS2 and want to see it succeed, then please continue to put the effort into extending a friendly helping hand to new players.

Thanks.

--Cory
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    edited November 2012
    It can get a little hard to hold back on your 5th marine game in a row where the commander rushed for W3 and dual exos, usually I just log at that point... I don't really like fighting cele/cara skulks with 30 armor 12min into the game, nevermind anything else. What makes it worse is half the time the command IS listening to players, and this is what they're asking for :(

Game really needs some kind of tutorials
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2026137:date=Nov 16 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Canucck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canucck @ Nov 16 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It can get a little hard to hold back on your 5th marine game in a row where the commander rushed for W3 and dual exos, usually I just log at that point... I don't really like fighting cele/cara skulks with 30 armor 12min into the game, nevermind anything else. What makes it worse is half the time the command IS listening to players, and this is what they're asking for :(

Game really needs some kind of tutorials<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are tutorials that you can access in the game menu, but some of them are pretty informal. The alien commander one for example.

Many people don't even know to press E to get into the hive, something that really walks through the basics in a non-hectic live game would be best.

I often suggest to new players to, after the game is over, log off and read the wiki and learn up on the structures and what they do/good orders to build them (there isn't really one per say if you have a plan)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    We have Explore Mode as a tutorial; it's not comprehensive, but it is a feature that I feel far to few people take advantage of.
  • ShahnazShahnaz Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170201Members
    In a game like this where nothing is saved and there is no way to show your e-peen I wonder why there are so many ragers.

Not as many as other fps I know but still.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    Frustration is a big cause of this, and I'm definitely guilty of uttering 'if we don't do X then we lose' or 'Oh god we're going to lose because Y', which isn't terribly productive. I'm working on that, and am sometimes more successful than not.

When I see players with green names I try to be nicer, but when you have a team with no greens and they literally do not acknowledge that you exist as a commander it can lead to a very, very high amount of frustration.

I can literally not even count the number of times I've laid out exactly what needs to happen for a win, I drop the eggs to enact the strategy, and no one reacts. Not even to disagree with the orders I just gave. They continue to do their own thing, and <i>might</i> notice an Onos egg just long enough to jump in and die instantly. I also can't count the number of times that an entire team of skulks has utterly refused to get into a gorge egg or onos egg, only to have them all squished under the foot of an Exo some ten minutes later.

Honestly, I'm just venting, but new players can definitely up the rage factor if they're the kind of players that are streaming Pandora over their headset and have everyone on their team muted. They don't even have game sounds active, I'm convinced, since the sound of a skulk running at full speed doesn't seem to even register with them. One person on your team like this isn't necessarily rage inducing, but two or more make my veins throb.

New players that engage are not a problem, and I welcome them. Unresponsive Rambo's I want to personally track down and throttle.