Co-Commander!

MedleyMedley Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167929Members
<div class="IPBDescription">For when a Rookie wants to learn the art of command</div>Hello!
The idea is to have kind of a "coach" mode because often enough I see a commander who, despite tutorials, needs help in doing things. Usually I try to explain stuff from in-field, but most of the time, that's really difficult while also fighting.
So why not add the ability to request a coach/join the commander in his hive/CC? Of course, it'd have to be not too intrusive - The coach could probably only mark build options for the commander and point out things on the map, maybe have a second visible mouse pointer?

Tell me what you think :D

Comments

• ParallaxParallax Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7739Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    How would you deal with the balance issues when the marines are now down a player ( the coach) ?

or have 2x the comming power?

Isn't this problem already much more affordably solved (in terms of dev time) by the video tutorials?
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    He was pretty clear about the fact that the 2nd comm is more of an observer so 2x comming power isn't an issue.

As for being down a player...yes sometimes games aren't the optimal game they could be so that someone can learn about the game. It's far better that we have a way to encourage and teach new commanders than it is that marines/aliens are never down 1 player (which frequently happens anyways just because of server populations).

Video tutorials are nice and will do but definitely don't provide the question/answer realtime feedback this idea would provide.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    This is solved easily by the implementation of first person spectating. I personally don't understand why first person spec hasn't been implemented. Though I know virtually nothing about coding, it really seems like a <1 minute addition.
  • ParallaxParallax Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7739Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Great, good to hear some solid reasons to put this feature in. A match with the purpose of training sounds useful. I wonder if you could extend that beyond comm training.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    I don't see why... but I don't see why not either.

Personally, I think the best experience is actual experience, but if you want to spectate than that works too.
  • JeehaoJeehao Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168294Members
    It is a nice idea but it is really easy to learn how to command, Build resource points and then use the resources ;)

Play alround a little in explore mode and you can see what every building can do.
    I wrote it all down on a paper so I could look up what is needed to get what I wanted ^^
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026124:date=Nov 16 2012, 02:15 PM:name=Parallax)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Parallax @ Nov 16 2012, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How would you deal with the balance issues when the marines are now down a player ( the coach) ?

or have 2x the comming power?

Isn't this problem already much more affordably solved (in terms of dev time) by the video tutorials?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    could be countered by a time out maybe a rank system just to show how much the player has been playing there are no positive effect of being a high rank and maybe a commander rank? like a low lvl commander can be helped by a higher lvl commander for a certain amount of time and a delat in helping the commander and the support comm has no effect on the placing of stuff they can only suggest where to put stuff so its more like advice of sorts without
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2026479:date=Nov 17 2012, 04:18 AM:name=Jeehao)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeehao @ Nov 17 2012, 04:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a nice idea but it is really easy to learn how to command, Build resource points and then use the resources ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Easy to learn maybe, but hard to master. (especially marines)

Cant UWE program some basic bots who just run from A to B and kill each other along the way? Give the Marine Comm some Macs and you can play around all you want.