i want to feel scared

RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">like everything is going to kill me</div>whips right now are the only structures that can injure a marine

how about an upgrade option to make everything offensivble

such as the
1) hive tenticles acting like a whip
2) Crags releasing a spore
3) Shifts tenticle slapping you
4) Shades inking your visor.

Comments

• HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    I like. Hive tentacles acting like whips would help deal with JPs could be a res sink. The idea of the entire hiveroom roaring back at you is pretty sick.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024949:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:48 PM:name=RiCexEaTeR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RiCexEaTeR @ Nov 15 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->whips right now are the only structures that can injure a marine

how about an upgrade option to make everything offensivble

such as the
    1) hive tenticles acting like a whip
    2) Crags releasing a spore
    3) Shifts tenticle slapping you
    4) Shades inking your visor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most players moan alot if too many vision obscuring things are introduced to the game. I do like the atmosphere that would be created by an entire hive room going nuts though.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like where this idea is going. I don't think they should be automatic. They should have to be activated by the alien comm like drifter enzyme. This would also fix all the complains about the khammander being boring.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025050:date=Nov 15 2012, 05:23 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Nov 15 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most players moan alot if too many vision obscuring things are introduced to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

The reason though is that it's a purely multiplayer game. It's not exactly fun to have your vision obscured hwen you're trying to fight other players, especially when it's the reason you're getting killed. While these kinds of atmospheric and immersive gameplay elements can be cool, they are more suited for a single player experience.
  • MedleyMedley Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167929Members
    I like the ideas, but I agree that they should be activated - And restricted in a way. Maybe in the Hive menu, there should be a button to press for the Khammander that's kind of like a Beacon. An Emergency Response that turns all buildings within the Hive's room aggressive for X tres, and the whole thing lasts for a specific amount of time.

Or maybe(not necessarily excluding the above) there'd be two upgrades for the Hive to choose, 15 tres each, and it's either tentacles or Lerk-like Spikes.
  • LuminothLuminoth Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171739Members
    Well i don't agree with the concept. First whips can be pretty disruptive when placed in the right places and they're just awesome when combined with shades. Plus you can always build hydras in the vicinity of your hive or even offensively if you like.

Then if you consider it from a strategic point of view, it would be unfair because a big part of the game is hitting a hive or marine base all by yourself an noticing noone around and going to town on it like a kid in a candystore. Implementing that global reactiveness would force every hive attack to be resource consuming and you would not be able anymore to relieve pressure from an alien attack by simply having one or two bad equiped marines anoying a random hive.

Then if you consider the marine base, ok they have the beacon ability but the aliens are much faster moving, then you cannot implement the hive with a full scale defense system when marines can get their base disrupted by simply destroying their power node.

To sum it up, a hive is pretty weak, offensively speaking, but it has alot of hitpoints if confonted to one, maybe two, marines. And it will not fall if some skulks anwser the call. Consider also that marines have to destroy every single structure to make it unusable to the aliens when the aliens only have to hit the powernode to rendre it unusable for marines.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    I agree aliens need another damaging defensive structure and that the whip is lacking. I don't think these specific suggestions are the way to go though. IMHO, these aforementioned structures should not be attacking, and 'no vision impairing effects' seems to be one of the pillars of this game.

Someone suggested (or made a campaign for) a 'cerberus' thing, a kind of hidden biting trap, which I think would be an excellent addition.
  • LuminothLuminoth Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171739Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025709:date=Nov 16 2012, 02:09 PM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Nov 16 2012, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree aliens need another damaging defensive structure and that the whip is lacking. I don't think these specific suggestions are the way to go though. IMHO, these aforementioned structures should not be attacking, and 'no vision impairing effects' seems to be one of the pillars of this game.

Someone suggested (or made a campaign for) a 'cerberus' thing, a kind of hidden biting trap, which I think would be an excellent addition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, why do you people keep forgetting the hydras? That's what gorges are there for!
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025717:date=Nov 16 2012, 07:22 AM:name=Luminoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luminoth @ Nov 16 2012, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, why do you people keep forgetting the hydras? That's what gorges are there for!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

moar like mildly-irritating-waste-of-res-dras.

Edit: Hydras are more of a waste of the player that will be babysitting them, not res
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    command chair should have a tessela coil shooting arcs of electricity :P[aka chain lightning]
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    10 res to upgrade a harvester to attack people like a super whip.