Hives look ridiculous when they die.

HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
This is not a game breaking issue by any means, but doesn't anyone else feel like hives look a bit silly when they die? After you shoot it they sort of spindly flail as they fall to the ground in this very weightless, stiff fashion, before quickly disappearing. It's unsatisfying.

I would love for it to just become these bullet ridden strips of flesh by the time the Marines are done with it, but even if the hive exploded into a gooey mist of gore it would look better than what we have now.

Comments

• RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol they do! they really do look ridiculous!

and exploding hive would be cool

+1
  • includeinclude aka RpTheHotrod Dallas, TX Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12027Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like kicking the hive around like a helium balloon as a marine after it dies.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think bullet decals are on the list of things to do.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I want to see the hive deflate like a hot air ballon shot out of the sky!
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hives should explode into a bunch of babblers when they go down, SC2 style. In fact all alien structures and lifeforms should.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025263:date=Nov 16 2012, 01:41 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Nov 16 2012, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want to see the hive deflate like a hot air ballon shot out of the sky!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nah i reckon a small party balloon fizzling and flailing all over the room, flying fast around until it runs out of air and falls to the ground lol. actually the current animation isn't far off....

exploading and covering everything with goo would be cool!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited November 2012
    When marines kill the hive it should fall and make a whoopie cushion sound. The rines should burst out laughing and imitate the sound.

Another option - MACs will come and chop up the hive into sushi for rines. One piece of sushi will be poisonous. The rine who eats it will implode.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025387:date=Nov 16 2012, 03:55 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Nov 16 2012, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When marines kill the hive it should fall and make a whoopie cushion sound. The rines should burst out laughing and imitate the sound.

Another option - MACs will come and chop up the hive into sushi for rines. One piece of sushi will be poisonous. The rine who eats it will implode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

SUPA MEGA HAPPY HAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIVE!
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025355:date=Nov 15 2012, 11:19 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 15 2012, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nah i reckon a small party balloon fizzling and flailing all over the room, flying fast around until it runs out of air and falls to the ground lol. actually the current animation isn't far off....

exploading and covering everything with goo would be cool!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No suggestion will be better than this.

Reenactment: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CTnTi1Lq60" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CTnTi1Lq60</a>
  • MedleyMedley Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 167929Members
    Maybe it fizzles and flails all over WHILE unloading goo?
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    I want to hear the hive like a scottish bagpipe.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I think ragdoll deaths can very often be visually worse than hand-crafted animated ones.

Shifts are another one that looks weird because they are completely rigid when they die. Skulks carry on their trajectory when you kill them with shotguns, it's sometimes hard to know if they are dead or not. They should go flying backwards instead!

The Hive death wins though.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2025753:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:20 PM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Nov 16 2012, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think ragdoll deaths can very often be visually worse than hand-crafted animated ones.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I could imagine a hybrid of both to make it less awkward, keeping the ragdoll system for more theath animation variety. But I can't imagine how to realize it properly.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shifts are another one that looks weird because they are completely rigid when they die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks carry on their trajectory when you kill them with shotguns, it's sometimes hard to know if they are dead or not. They should go flying backwards instead!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, physics! It is how it is supposed to be. Alien dead, muscles relaxed, no force to turn Skulk backwards, just inertia playing with a Skulk. Mostly I know when a Skulk dies, but sometimes I don't know it, and I like it. It is some sort of fake death but not game mechanics related but more skill related. I saw some sneaky Skulks tricking me with skilled/luck(?) fake deaths, I smiled realizing it. Besides, it is satisfying to have flying dead aliens against you, knowing that deadly jump of the alien was for you. For me, the ragdoll system works for the Skulks best, maybe also because I don't know how aliens move or better to say die awkwardly.
  • RA3ConscriptRA3Conscript Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165139Members
    It's as if the game is using the source engine when the Hive starts spazzing around upon falling for a second or two, same with ragdolls.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025823:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:34 AM:name=Husar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Husar @ Nov 16 2012, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could imagine a hybrid of both to make it less awkward, keeping the ragdoll system for more theath animation variety. But I can't imagine how to realize it properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it was kept hanging by one or two of the four "arms" at the top that it hangs from, and allowed to ragdoll without being fully disconnected from the ceiling. It also needs to be exploding with green goop because it really looks like it's full of it.
  • BlindgaBlindga Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162931Members
    Hive death looks terrible. I literally laughed the first time I saw the thing bouncing around the room (and out the door).

I wouldn't mind something simple like a 'melt to goo' or 'explode to goo' type effect.
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
    and please please please tell me where is the blood when they die!?
  • JeehaoJeehao Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168294Members
    Hives should break in the middle when it dies and out of it should come small creeps that attack nearby enemies but they bearly hurt ^^