Build 229: Server overheating?

MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Heyo there,

I just had an issue today, that my entire Root Server rebooted because of high cpu usage and therefor it might even overheated. This never happened in Build 228, not even if the Server ran for several days straight with people playing on it from time to time.

Anyone else had this issue or am I a single case right now? :P

Maxunit

Comments

• GamigonGamigon Join Date: 2003-07-25 Member: 18418Members
    edited November 2012
    If your server is overheating that's a hardware problem, not NS2 Fault. Check your CPU cooler. I am not seeing overheating.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea, I'm checking the Hardware right now...better said, my Server Provider does. It's just, that the Server ran flawlessly, even with NS2 Build 228, until this morning, after I updated to Build 229 and BAM, overheating hardware or something else, which caused the entire server to completly reboot.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    im going to ask someone who also hosts servers on a root maybe he has the same problems ;)
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay, the Hardware is okay. Yea, whatever caused the issues, it was no hardware issue. I checked all of the logs (a lot -.-) and something from Server.exe (NS2 Dedicated) caused a CPU spike like hell. Maybe it was DAK, since 2 people already reported issues with DAK on 229 Builds.

I'm running a 229 server again and will monitor it for some hours.
  • GamigonGamigon Join Date: 2003-07-25 Member: 18418Members
    edited November 2012
    What log did you check? Do you have a temp log for bios or alarm triggers? Do you have something Like Dell Openmanage or hp insight?

If there is a cpu spike from NS2 that causes the processor to overheat, <u><b>its a HARDWARE (cooling) PROBLEM</b></u>. It means your host doesn't have adequate cooling on there box. I can run my server cpu at 100% 24/7 and it wont shutdown from overheating. However it will shorten the cpu life-span.

But when is the last time you heard of a cpu die from life-span?

If your saying the CPU just pinned out and the box rebooted. I dont know if your running a dedicated box or a VM or what. If its a VM and it uses heart-beating and it CPU pins out in a way that doesn't allow it to respond to the VM-host it will reboot the box automatically. Or it might just BSOD crashed.

But thats alot of what if's would need more detail.
    edited November 2012
    I checked the logs under /sys/logs and there was a "Spike" coming from the NS2 Server which then was leading into the System crashing, not overheating.

My Server Provider already checked the cooling units etc in a stress test, which was running for 1 hour and they really got the cpu and the cooling units to the limit, no crashes or freezes there.

The Server I have a dedicated, no VM.

Right now everything runs fine again so far. Like I said above, maybe an outdated version of DAK (forgot to update it) caused it.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've found that NS2 can sometimes be a better stress test then actual stress tests. Had my OC pass a 24 hour double Prime95 stress test only to cause a blue screen after playing NS2 for a hour. If NS2 is causing overheating/server box crashing problems, its the hardwares fault and NS2 is just the first program to stress it in the right way to uncover the stability issues.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2024969:date=Nov 16 2012, 07:59 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 16 2012, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've found that NS2 can sometimes be a better stress test then actual stress tests. Had my OC pass a 24 hour double Prime95 stress test only to cause a blue screen after playing NS2 for a hour. If NS2 is causing overheating/server box crashing problems, its the hardwares fault and NS2 is just the first program to stress it in the right way to uncover the stability issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll second that, on two separate instances I found my server to be stable under prime95 for over 24 hours, both times. After running NS2, it wouldn't stay up for more than 3-4 days at a time, always rebooting/freezing. Dropping the overclock, now its been up for almost 30 days.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    And here I was thinking the power virus I put in DAK was actually working, damn :<
    Ah whatever. Moderator can close the topic. Everything runs fine again after I reverted back to a complete vanilla Build 229 install.