hit detection

BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I've been playing this game for over 1.5yrs now. I must say, I'm still irked by the hit detection.

I'm not sure if how it is now is intentional or not, but coming from competitive TF2 the hit detection in this game blows my mind.

There are times I will be running around a corner and about 500ms later I'll die, when it was clearly a safe retreat. This isn't laggy people shooting me either, and it happens quite frequently.

Another time happened just a few minutes ago. I run up behind an afk marine, get 2 chomps off and on the third they give me a quick burst (machinegun) which instantly brings me down to 1hp. While I made it away, there's no way a marine should be able to burst me down like this, ever; especially considering i was behind them the whole time.

I'm not sure what part of the hit detection mechanism it is, but I haven't seen it change much for the better since I got into the beta. There have been changes with shotguns and other elements, but it doesn't seem to be where it should be.

Comments

• BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    edited November 2012
    There's a 100ms delay or something along those lines that can screw over aliens who aren't moving when a marine first shoots at them. I don't know what the details of it are but in threads that ask about this its brought up as something that is just there, I could be wrong.

if you're getting around 500ms delay though then it could be the server or you.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Has to do with the server rate as well as interpolation. Basically this has a slightly higher setting than HL2, and that's mostly because of the servers requiring a bit more power to run. More or less it's sort of an artifact from when optimization was REALLY bad. But maybe they'll add the ability to change the settings later on.
  • FritscFritsc Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170781Members
    edited November 2012
    Better hit detection is definitely needed. As an alien this is quite the common occurrence, hiding in vent > see marine > run out of marine line of sight > marine is somehow still able to hit me. Very frustrating.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited November 2012
    Most of what is being complained about here has nothing to do with hit registration, and seems to be predominantly due to inexperience in online multiplayer games in general. Having over 600 hours in-game experience in NS2 (not some other game far more forgiving when it comes to aiming) I can say that, in comparison to past patches, and indeed in comparison to other games, I feel the hit registration to be impeccable and infallible in the vast majority of cases.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    1) NS2's default interp setting is at 100ms (no client setting available)

2) shotguns are random

3) damage draw doesn't always draw damage

4) hit registry probably isn't that good on top of all of these

everything you need to know
  • slimeslime Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72352Members
    edited November 2012
    Source engine games give clients 20 updates from the server per second with an interpolation period of 100ms, by default. (<a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Entity_interpolation" target="_blank">source</a>)
    L4D and L4D2's server tick rate (not the same as the client update rate in Source engine games, although the update rate can't exceed the server tick rate) is fixed at 30 ticks per second.
    It all sounds pretty similar to NS2's networking parameters. :)

Maybe you think you feel a difference because NS2 can be a bit faster paced in combat.
  • NikolaiLevNikolaiLev Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165658Members
    I'm fairly certain the issues people describe have to do with client-side hit detection. As far as I can tell, NS2 uses client-side hit detection as opposed to server-side, which comes with its own pros and cons.

In short, client-side hit detection grants the benefit of "What you see is what you get." This generally results in the best play experience. On the other hand, this not only makes it easier to cheat, but also gives the impression of dying behind cover, because your client occasionally needs to "catch up" to the server.

Server-side hit detection alleviates those issues. However, it also necessitates player compensation for latency, which results in a variable need to lead your shots according to how much lag is occuring.

From what I know, most multiplayer shooters use client-side hit detection, and it's unanimously considered the superior option. Red Orchestra 2 used to use server-side hit detection, but it led to a lot of problems that client-side detection ultimately solved.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024167:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:23 AM:name=NikolaiLev)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NikolaiLev @ Nov 15 2012, 07:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fairly certain the issues people describe have to do with client-side hit detection. As far as I can tell, NS2 uses client-side hit detection as opposed to server-side, which comes with its own pros and cons.

In short, client-side hit detection grants the benefit of "What you see is what you get." This generally results in the best play experience. On the other hand, this not only makes it easier to cheat, but also gives the impression of dying behind cover, because your client occasionally needs to "catch up" to the server.

Server-side hit detection alleviates those issues. However, it also necessitates player compensation for latency, which results in a variable need to lead your shots according to how much lag is occuring.

From what I know, most multiplayer shooters use client-side hit detection, and it's unanimously considered the superior option. Red Orchestra 2 used to use server-side hit detection, but it led to a lot of problems that client-side detection ultimately solved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Basically all multiplayer games use server side hit detection. The only big one I can think of that doesn't is BF3, which results in hackers being able to kill people who aren't even alive, and other laughable scenarios.

I may be completely wrong though, it appears. I assumed nobody else used client side because few other games have cheating as rampant as BF3, but maybe they just truly screwed it up. Still pretty sure that server side is the norm though.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024167:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:23 AM:name=NikolaiLev)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NikolaiLev @ Nov 15 2012, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fairly certain the issues people describe have to do with client-side hit detection. As far as I can tell, NS2 uses client-side hit detection as opposed to server-side, which comes with its own pros and cons.

From what I know, most multiplayer shooters use client-side hit detection, and it's unanimously considered the superior option. Red Orchestra 2 used to use server-side hit detection, but it led to a lot of problems that client-side detection ultimately solved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not really accurate to say "client-side hit detection" vs "server-side hit detection." Most modern games, including NS2 and TF2, rewind time on the server to where everything was when someone fired a weapon (using the ping and interpolation values of the <i>player who fired</i>), and determine whether it hits based on that. This eliminates the need to 'lead' targets when you have > ~50 ping, but gives an advantage to a player with high ping firing a weapon at someone who is running out of sight.

Latency is completely unavoidable in online games, and it <i>has</i> to show up somewhere.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2024166:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:22 PM:name=slime)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slime @ Nov 14 2012, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Source engine games give clients 20 updates from the server per second with an interpolation period of 100ms, by default. (<a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Entity_interpolation" target="_blank">source</a>)
    L4D and L4D2's server tick rate (not the same as the client update rate in Source engine games, although the update rate can't exceed the server tick rate) is fixed at 30 ticks per second.
    It all sounds pretty similar to NS2's networking parameters. :)

Maybe you think you feel a difference because NS2 can be a bit faster paced in combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    in other games you're able to adjust all of those values for ideal settings
    NS2 locks them all on top of having faster-paced combat and random weapons that creates a disaster
    <!--quoteo(post=2024173:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:30 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 15 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in other games you're able to adjust all of those values for ideal settings
    NS2 locks them all on top of having faster-paced combat and random weapons that creates a disaster<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which games are these?

Games which I won't accept:
    Quake 3
    Any version of the source engine older than the one used in L4D1
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024176:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:33 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 14 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which games are these?

Games which I won't accept:
    Quake 3
    Any version of the source engine older than the one used in L4D1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    you've always been able to set server ticrate in source
    interp has been changeable since hl1, source games have modified it to interp_ratio iirc, but it's still just as changeable

I don't see why it matters what games they are though or what the age of the game is
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024178:date=Nov 15 2012, 01:37 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 15 2012, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you've always been able to set server ticrate in source<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "The -tickrate command line parameter is not available on CSS, DoD S, TF2, L4D and L4D2 because changing tickrate causes server timing issues. The tickrate is set to 66 in CSS, DoD S and TF2, and 30 in L4D and L4D2." - <a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking#Basic_networking" target="_blank">Valve developer Wiki</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=2024178:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:37 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 15 2012, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you've always been able to set server ticrate in source
    interp has been changeable since hl1, source games have modified it to interp_ratio iirc, but it's still just as changeable

I don't see why it matters what games they are though or what the age of the game is<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem is that these highly customisable games are typically more scaffolding than actual full blown games. Games like Quake 3 and counter strike, and in fact a lot of games which are strictly "death match". I could probably throw together a game in vanilla openGL in a day that would have more actual game mechanics than these titles do (an exaggeration, but not a big one). They have no overhead to speak of, and as such the customisation of their core settings really doesn't affect much at all, its just a case of tailoring your deathmatch experience to your liking.

Not so with games that have actual structure, and which involve processing past the obvious "DID I HIT HIM"? You think BF3 servers have customisable core settings? With the amount of overhead that goes on in that game outside of the simple player/player interactions, the settings are probably tailor made, down to the second decimal place, with any changes likely resulting in catastrophic failure.
    edited November 2012
    oh woops I guess I'm wrong and I didn't read the article. shame ~

66 is much more forgiving than NS2's 30 though, so my point remains. for example in Dystopia mod, low ticrates completely broke bunnyhopping. I wouldn't be surprised if some problems in NS2 are caused by this same thing

100ms interp is also very large

edit: Imbalanxd your post is kind of really vague and doesn't really give any specifics. it just seemed like some kind of bash on CS / Quake, and general assumptions on why it can't be done. it's also pretty insulting to Quake and CS considering they had a massive amount of competitive strategic depth in comparison to NS2 currently
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024184:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:47 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 15 2012, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->edit: Imbalanxd your post is kind of really vague and doesn't really give any specifics just general assumptions on why it can't be done. you also just made a massive insult to the strategic depth of Quake and CS which is a lot more practiced and refined than NS2 is currently. it's a huge exaggeration and an insult<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps... unfortunately it isn't really personal opinion, its quantifiable fact. The Quake 3 engine is opensource now (I think?) so you could probably go check the game loop for yourself. It probably looks like this.

updatestufflol()
    {
    hitDetection();
    spawnDaHealth();
    spawnDaArmor();
    rocketJump!("awwww yeah");
    }

Oh, and I'm not saying playing the game is simple. I'm saying the game itself is simple. Competition determines gameplay complexity. Even pong would become a highly skillful game with enough people playing it.
    edited November 2012
    you could manually set interp values in ns1
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024191:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:56 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 15 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you could manually set interp values in ns1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Halflife was a beautiful engine when it came to this type of stuff. For the most part we've had backwards progress in gaming in the last several years.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    movement in this game is way too fast for the netcode
    way too hard to hit lerks/fades/leaping skulks

brightskins would help though
    <!--quoteo(post=2024191:date=Nov 15 2012, 07:56 AM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Nov 15 2012, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you could manually set interp values in ns1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh right, gldSrc... where the definition of physics was a binary active vector.

Processing demands have increased a lot since then, and hey, so has processing <b>power</b>. One thing that hasn't increased, however, is the speed of light, which leaves online games in a bit of a jam.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024188:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:52 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 15 2012, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024188"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps... unfortunately it isn't really personal opinion, its quantifiable fact. The Quake 3 engine is opensource now (I think?) so you could probably go check the game loop for yourself. It probably looks like this.

updatestufflol()
    {
    hitDetection();
    spawnDaHealth();
    spawnDaArmor();
    rocketJump!("awwww yeah");
    }

Oh, and I'm not saying playing the game is simple. I'm saying the game itself is simple. Competition determines gameplay complexity. Even pong would become a highly skillful game with enough people playing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm quite sure the only similarity the game loop in the quake 3 engine has to your snippit is that it's also written in C++ syntax.

I'm not sure you even understand what you're arguing...

Quake is simple, but it's fundamentally running the same hitreg and prediction algorithms modern games use today. You just had far more access to the interacting variables.
  • Zero7Zero7 Join Date: 2002-03-10 Member: 301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024203:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:08 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 15 2012, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing that hasn't increased, however, is the speed of light, which leaves online games in a bit of a jam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why scientists increased the speed of light in 2208. For online games.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024208:date=Nov 15 2012, 08:15 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Nov 15 2012, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quake is simple, but it's fundamentally running the same hitreg and prediction algorithms modern games use today. You just had far more access to the interacting variables.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but that's <b>ALL </b>its running. The games primary mechanic <u>IS</u> hit detection. It has absolutely nothing else going on. It is literally nothing else than WASD bound to some camera transforms, and then a bunch of hit detection algorithms. That's all it has to do. Is it really any wonder that you can customize the ###### out of that process?

Once again, I'm saying the game is simple, not necessarily the gameplay.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    noticed a bit of input delay in this patch, is it just me?
    edited November 2012
    it doesn't really matter what engine is more complicated. this isn't a discussion about which engine NS2 should have used. I was merely pointing out that having 1) 30 tic servers and 2) non-adjustable interp, on top of 3) random shotgun and 4) the Internet

leads to lots of questionable circumstances for hit registry.

obviously I'm not suggesting that it's a quick and simple fix considering the amount of server performance NS2 already demands.

edit: although I do recall Dragon testing lower interp values with pretty favorable results so who knows
    Maybe, but you did just describe Battlefield 3, and indeed most battlefield games, perfectly. I know we shouldn't just blindly follow the example set by others, but come on. If EA can't do it, then is there any sense in asking a tiny indie company to?
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have to agree the hitreg seems worse then in other games. Hell, I even played games with no interpolation it hitreg feels more consistent (on low ping servers).
    Prime examples of whacky hitreg are found in pub servers, where you sometimes can sneak up to unsuspecting lerks/fades which are sitting there attacking something with a shotgun, just to deal very little damage at point blank range.

Also there is that flinching animation bug... especailly noticeable with harvester, not sure whether this is fixed in this version thouh.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    For what it's worth, shotgun has a fixed but randomly rotated spread
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    First, I was originally talking strictly about the machinegun. Considering the shotgun is a burst weapon it is almost impossible to determine if hit detection is working properly for it.

Second, the source engine runs differently for different "mods" loaded for it (mods being css/dod/tf2/l4d/hl2dm). I've been running source servers since hl2dm came out, and I've been running tf2 servers since it came out. Tickrate on TF2 servers in particular has been a big deal for a while, and about a year or two ago they actually removed the ability to change the tickrate and forced the value to 66. I know this because VALVe stated this in mailing lists I subscribe to, and because knowing these things are vital to tuning a tf2 server properly.

In the source engine, specifically tf2, it's actually a combination of server and client side hit detection. It is also worth noting that it actually favors the client. This can be observed most easily by watching very laggy snipers still landing shots, because they hit on their client.

Back to NS2, the issue is hit detection with the machine gun. As my original example, the marine turned around and in less than half a second tore me down to exactly 1 hitpoint, when I was at full health and armor. Would anyone actually declare this fair, balanced and working as intended? I sure dont.

Despite the naysayers, TF2 is actually quite fast paced at the higher ends of competition, and I've played at those levels. I'm not going to say it's faster or slower paced than NS2, because that doesn't really accomplish anything.

The fact of the matter is that the game is not balanced considering this discrepancy in hit detection. It is irrelevant whether it was intentional, or not, or even if it was just left in by mistake. What is relevant is that it is present and should be corrected.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    Im sorry, but is there really such thing as competitive TF2??? what the hell?