Do TRes Weapon/Lifeform drops belong in the game?

ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Disclaimer: This thread isn't for arguing current game balance or complaining about early Onos, although that is the most prevalent problem with TRes drops right now. This is a discussion about whether or not that system is worth fixing, or if the game would be better off if it was scrapped.

I feel that philosophically the idea of the commander being able to spend his own TRes to drop weapons/lifeforms is a flawed one, and does not belong in NS2. From the very start of the alpha the design of the res model has been clear: resources were split into Team and Personal pools so that the game would scale relatively evenly to any player count. Placing all the functionality of PRes back into TRes again undermines that and effectively reverts things right back to how they were in NS1: a supply of weapons/lifeforms that is tied to a static pool of res, and is disproportionately more powerful the smaller the team.

Basically I think this system creates a number of problems:

- Difficult-to-balance implications depending on team size. See the power of the fast Onos in competitive games with their small teams. The res value of turning 1/6 of your team into an Onos is huge compared to the value of structures and most upgrades/abilities. If Onos egg drops were nerfed/delayed the same would be true of Fade egg drops, etc.

- Impacts balance decisions in negative ways for PRes spenders. Logically, given that TRes drops increase the availability of weapons/lifeforms, and we don't want the game to be flooded with powerful units, PRes income has to be slower to compensate. That makes the game less fun for most players and results in a further regression towards the NS1 way of doing things(which I would argue has already happened).

- Forces the comm to make unfun decisions with his money. Does he spend his res doing fun stuff like active abilities and building structures/ARCs/etc, or does he hand it all out to his team and twiddle his thumbs? If the alien comm knows that the most effective strategy at a given time is to save up 75 res for an Onos, that's quite a lot of time where he literally can't do anything else. Every time he wants to throw down a Crag somewhere he has to think "is this really worth delaying that Onos?". Tough decisions are only a good thing when both choices are equally fun.

- Messes up the delicate balance of lifeform appearance timing. We all know this one. Marines are less affected because all their tech is locked behind upgrades, and most of it isn't expensive, but the Onos is available to the first person who hits 75 res, which incidentally is always the commander.

I feel that the ability for the commander to spend his TRes on weapons/lifeforms should be removed, the sooner the better, and the game should be balanced around its removal as necessary. Does anybody else feel the same way? I'd like to make the community's stance on this clear before it goes any further since I think it's a big decision with a lot of repercussions that will require more work to change the more the game is balanced around it.

Comments

• Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    If I recall correctly lifeform/weapon drops used to be based off the commanders Pres instead of Tres. I think that system worked better honestly.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    good analysis - i agree

At the very least UWE needs to stick with <b>something</b>. Either pure tres system with equipment/lifeform drops, or pres/tres separation not only in name but function.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    T-res drops were an interesting experiment, but it's pretty clear that it's an experiment that's failed by now. T-res drops invalidate the p-res timings and the frequency of tech/lifeforms seen on the field, it does not belong in the game and it won't be possible to balance it if it stays in IMO.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it should be a late game upgrade, when you control the map and your gunna win anyway and you're flowing with tres from 5+ RT's. Then you should be able to upgrade but must have 3 CC/Hives to do soo.
  • Dark_DragonDark_Dragon Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63229Members, Constellation
    I would certainly like to keep Pres in the game no mater what, anyone who played NS1 early in its life, then again within the past 2 years or so knows how the player thinking shifted.. To become "only the commanders personal friends get -anything-". That was not fun, at all.

As for the idea I think it could work out pretty nice, it would let the commander focus more on supporting the team, too. Might need to keep an eye out for support ability spam becoming too excessive though with the commander being able to manage his attention better and having the resources to use those abilities more freely.

<!--quoteo(post=2023443:date=Nov 14 2012, 03:08 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Nov 14 2012, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it should be a late game upgrade, when you control the map and your gunna win anyway and you're flowing with tres from 5+ RT's. Then you should be able to upgrade but must have 3 CC/Hives to do soo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem I see with that is it creates the dynamic that some poorer RTS games have where "Once you start winning, its over", many RTS games, you can call the winner within the first 3-5 minutes of gameplay and the rest is just a timekiller. As it stands, one team can be winning in NS2, then suddenly, they are losing. If you put something like this in it muddies the terrain a lot for the other team to have a chance at coming back.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2012
    I agree. I don't think it makes sense. HOWEVER. I do think the comm needs a way to influence which lifeforms the team picks.

Suppose the comm had the ability to reduce the cost of certain lifeforms by researching at the hive. Once per hive you could spend 20 resources, and reduce the cost of one type of lifeform by 5 resources. So after two hives, spend 40tres for free gorges, or 20 pres lerks, or 30 pres fades.

This would open up a lot of strategic possibilities to focus on lifeforms instead of upgrades, but scales with team size properly, and isn't as crazy high risk as dropping an expensive egg.
  • CanucckCanucck Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72987Members
    The commander being able to use his pres to drop items sounds a lot better, assuming he gains pres at the same rate as everyone else while commanding. Tres drops just feel out of place atm, and like they're skipping too many steps
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited November 2012
    I agree, Tres life form drops has completely ruined the fun of being alien comm and your other points are dead on as well. The game will never be balanced at varying game sizes as long as life form drops remain in the game.

What value do they add to the game? Supposedly strategic depth but I think actually the opposite. Makes lifeform timings near impossible to predict and in smaller games will always be imbalanced. If they nerf the fast onos, I foresee multiple fast fades to be just around the corner. There is basically never going to be a time when its better to build stuff like crags/shades/whips then to save for lifeforms.

In exchange I would be OK with the commander gaining Pres.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    I strongly disagree on comm getting/using pRes again!

I really like who the comm has the option to use his tRes for lifeforms, I just think it currently needs more tweaking.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is basically never going to be a time when its better to build stuff like crags/shades/whips then to save for lifeforms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would say the problem is then, that the other path are viable enough and need improvement, not the other way around.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    I think Tres for lifeforms is a must have in order to break stalemates and reward map control in long drawn out games.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Tres should never be used in place of Pres. The whole point of all the effort put into redesigning the resource system was so that it would scale up with player count, which this does certainly not. Let the commander spend Pres on drops if you must, but only as far as something another player can get for themselves. Buying someone a shotgun is fine, but having to pay personal resources for medpacks isn't.

<!--quoteo(post=2023514:date=Nov 14 2012, 01:55 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Nov 14 2012, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Tres for lifeforms is a must have in order to break stalemates and reward map control in long drawn out games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First sentence of the thread is how this thread is not about balance. There's plenty of ways to deal with stalemates, and map control gives plenty of Pres for lifeforms on its own.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited November 2012
    Agree. Turning tres into a pres item for 1 player breaks the intended paradigm since it translate a team size independent value to a team size dependent value.

A way to preserve the ability to dump tres into helping players would be to implement a way for the comm/khamm to convert 10 tres into N pres <i> for each player </i>. That way the scaling is preserved.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2023458:date=Nov 14 2012, 12:17 PM:name=moultano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moultano @ Nov 14 2012, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. I don't think it makes sense. HOWEVER. I do think the comm needs a way to influence which lifeforms the team picks.

Suppose the comm had the ability to reduce the cost of certain lifeforms by researching at the hive. Once per hive you could spend 20 resources, and reduce the cost of one type of lifeform by 5 resources. So after two hives, spend 40tres for free gorges, or 20 pres lerks, or 30 pres fades.

This would open up a lot of strategic possibilities to focus on lifeforms instead of upgrades, but scales with team size properly, and isn't as crazy high risk as dropping an expensive egg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can already pretty much influence which lifeforms people use by selecting certain chamber upgrades or T2 abilities to research. I think having tech that reduces pres costs would honestly be a nightmare to balance.
    Want Fades? Speed Blink. Want Lerks? Speed Spores. The Kham has tons of choice over his team's capability and composition, perhaps more than the Com does.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    if NS2 is to be balanced at a fundamental level the T-Res drops probably have to go. there's not really a solid method of balancing end-game units for the early-game without breaking everything in between.

edit: also another core issue with NS2 is the lack of scaling; perhaps with proper scaling introduced then t-res drops might not become as large of an issue
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited November 2012
    Lifeform drops is more of a fun factor issue for the commander, than a scale-ability issue.

However I do agree that lifeform drops don't scale well...but again, I think thats a problem with the comm's non-scaleable resource system. Lifeform drops are just the most obvious symptom on alien side. You still got things like medpacks, ammo, weapon/exo drops on marine side.

Lifeform drops could still be in the game if they weren't available at such crucial timings. 5-6 minute onos is faster than what players can get, and it makes it too difficult to pass up. However if onos drop was only available at 3 hive (or 2 mature hives), then by the time a comm can drop it, many players can probably already save enough to buy one. BUT I would only keep lifeform drops if commander had some form of scaled resource.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited November 2012
    <u><b>Zek:</b></u>

As is they are a problem, but with another layer of complexity it could work out quite well

I made a thread less than a week ago talking about <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124009&hl=" target="_blank">pushing "Mature" status further</a>

It's a very real way that a drop mechanic could stay in the game
    If anything I'd like to see the mechanic expanded upon to allow gorges to use their pres to morph and egg for a teamate

Currently the drop system isn't even balanced since Marines cannot even drop a dual exo

-
  • ToastieToastie Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167351Members
    First of all, I think this is an important and well written post.

I agree with tres drops going against the grain of separating tres and pres, but at this point I don't think dropping it is the best idea, as the alien tech tree is lopsided and thus there are pretty linear paths for upgrade at the moment. Once there is a bit more diversity/balance there I think tres drops could be taken out.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Using Comm PRes would resolve the early drop issue, but it still doesn't scale with team size, it's basically just like an alternate TRes pool. The reason Comm PRes was removed was because it was too confusing, and sometimes created some odd behaviors with people playing musical chairs to get someone in the comm seat that had more PRes.

I would be okay with the comm being able to translate his spare TRes into bonus PRes for all players. I still don't love it because I don't think the comm should feel pressured to do that when he really wants to spend it himself, and it still could create pacing issues, but at least it's easier to fine-tune. I definitely don't think we need to wait for a system like that to be ready before this one is removed though.

<!--quoteo(post=2023514:date=Nov 14 2012, 03:55 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Nov 14 2012, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Tres for lifeforms is a must have in order to break stalemates and reward map control in long drawn out games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree, there's no reason aliens can't break a base without TRes drops. They just need to be balanced for that. Map control is already rewarded with more res flow, which is where PRes comes from. Three hives, all the upgrades, tons of structures and lots of PRes should be more than enough to end the game, even if it often isn't right now.

<!--quoteo(post=2023622:date=Nov 14 2012, 05:18 PM:name=Toastie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toastie @ Nov 14 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First of all, I think this is an important and well written post.

I agree with tres drops going against the grain of separating tres and pres, but at this point I don't think dropping it is the best idea, as the alien tech tree is lopsided and thus there are pretty linear paths for upgrade at the moment. Once there is a bit more diversity/balance there I think tres drops could be taken out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The early onos drop is by far the most linear and powerful tech tree path there is right now. Removing it could only benefit build variety. Personally I think the alien comm already has a bit too much research, he should be more focused on using structures in the field IMO. And as I mentioned, when making a big change like this it's better to do it while balance is still in flux than in the future when things have settled down and this would just disrupt everything again.
    If you want to give Khams and Coms way to give their players Pres, allow RTs to be upgraded to produce additional Pres each tick for Tres with diminishing returns per RT. That way it isn't a BS 1-1 exchange, and it creates a dynamic of which harvesters to upgrade.

Do you spend tons and tons of res upgrading your base RT a lot, hoping that it's safe, or do you spend less res to spread the upgrades around and be at risk of losing them? Suddenly, the starting RT becomes a very tempting target for enemy raids.
  • grazrgrazr Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162195Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023435:date=Nov 14 2012, 06:59 PM:name=Firepower01)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firepower01 @ Nov 14 2012, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I recall correctly lifeform/weapon drops used to be based off the commanders Pres instead of Tres. I think that system worked better honestly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except commanders to acquire pres while commanding. You spend 20 minutes in the com chair on 6 res towers and hop out, you still only have 20 res. It's actually rather annoying. Sometimes i use the drop weapon to give myself a grenade launcher when i get out because otherwise i'll never be able to afford it unless the team doesn't mind being without a commander for a few moments, but then you're stuck with zero pres and there's also the problem that in pub games, other players like to jump into the chair. The amount of times i've been at a stalemate only for some scrub to hop into the chair whilst i jumped out to help the team fight off an onos and then lose map control isn't even funny. Sometimes you can kick them, but by then the damage is done.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2023886:date=Nov 14 2012, 08:42 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 14 2012, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want to give Khams and Coms way to give their players Pres, allow RTs to be upgraded to produce additional Pres each tick for Tres with diminishing returns per RT. That way it isn't a BS 1-1 exchange, and it creates a dynamic of which harvesters to upgrade.

Do you spend tons and tons of res upgrading your base RT a lot, hoping that it's safe, or do you spend less res to spread the upgrades around and be at risk of losing them? Suddenly, the starting RT becomes a very tempting target for enemy raids.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Income upgrades on RTs used to be in the game but they were removed. I could maybe see it being an active ability though, i.e. you toggle the RT to channel some/all of its TRes into additional PRes.