This must have come up before

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">alien's phase gate equivalent</div>So this is pretty obvious, but I don't think I've actually seen it said before; why can't the alien comm echo players like he echoes structures?

Comments

• DogfaceDogface Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167225Members
    "Because asymmetry" is the simple answer, but also consider that aliens already move faster than marines (especially with celerity), can use vents to get around, can more easily spawn at arbitrary locations (using shifts), can fly or blink more quickly... they have more mobility, and don't need a teleporty type deal on top of that.

Although having said that, I heard there was some kind of plan for the gorge to be able to make nydus-like tunnels/teleporters...

So yeah.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I heard Gorge Tunnels are p cool.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023444:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:09 PM:name=Dogface)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dogface @ Nov 14 2012, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Because asymmetry" is the simple answer, but also consider that aliens already move faster than marines (especially with celerity), can use vents to get around, can more easily spawn at arbitrary locations (using shifts), can fly or blink more quickly... they have more mobility, and don't need a teleporty type deal on top of that.

Although having said that, I heard there was some kind of plan for the gorge to be able to make nydus-like tunnels/teleporters...

So yeah.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not fully convinced aliens even require a form of rapid transportation, but the vast majority of the community is. I'm just wondering why echoing players was never considered, or if it was, what was wrong with it.
  • Dr. RocksoDr. Rockso Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75114Members
    Initially, I had assumed the Shift structure would allow me to teleport back to the hive, or at least another Shift. It does make sense that they don't include it, due to the fact that aliens do move faster around the map, but I can't help feeling that something is missing.

Not sure if its because I miss the tight, fast-paced and crazy game play of NS1, but it seems that games last loner now only because of indecisiveness of players - it seems people get caught up too much with the s-word (Symmetry) and rush for Asymmetry (maybe its a hipster thing), but I think that more Symmetry (ie: more like NS1) was a good thing. It definitely made for some good memories in those several hour NS games, back in the day, and definitely makes balancing quicker and more clear.