We need more than just RES!

2»

Comments

• YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited November 2012
    I agree with that Necro.

One decent idea that was brought up during the beta was to have two types of extractors: p-res extractors and t-res extractors on the marine side, so that the comm had to do some strategic choice and planning between pres and tres flow.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    spending tres on ability was a way to 'res sink'.... however since its a res sink people dont use it until they have res to 'sink'... ie.. upgrades all done.
  • Heart1987Heart1987 Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169242Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022993:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:57 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Nov 14 2012, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with that Necro.

One decent idea that was brought up during the beta was to have two types of extractors: p-res extractors and t-res extractors on the marine side, so that the comm had to do some strategic choice and planning between pres and tres flow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What if the commander could decide how much res goes to the team and how much res goes into P-Res? It's not straightforward to balance since you might need to get some % right, but it could work nonetheless.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022938:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:50 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Nov 14 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK, in "perfect balance world" the commander would have no way to spend TRes on players and it would only unlock tech/support buildings. But even then player differentials would cause different spending patterns. There is little point in getting Lerk upgrades on small teams that just go Fade/Onos to ensure every player is powerful. On large teams the additional sideways development into a few Lerks is crucial to round out the death squads. Plus in smaller teams support buildings are less useful since engagements are spread out. A forward crag healing 1 or 2 Skulks the whole game isn't worth it. A forward crag healing a Skulk+Gorge+Lerk pack sieging a location is totally worth it.

Plus, that's boring. Commander interaction is a core gameplay element.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I agree with you... that would be boring and not ideal. I'm in no way suggesting the comm shouldn't support players with commander res. I'm saying have a second res pool that scales and can be spent on things that need scaling. I don't want energy back, it felt disconnected from the game and a pain to keep track of. Keep Tres for things that don't scale (cc, hive, arms lab, ect..) and the second res (calling Sres for now) one for things that do scale. Tres can even be used to acquire sres. For instance, it cost 5 tres to acquire sres equal to the number of players currently on your team. This keeps intact the tradeoffs of either using tres for support, research, expansion ect...Energy gave no tradeoffs and its another strike against it.

Right now NS2 balancing is harder than it needs to be. No reason not to implement features that normalize the game to an extent between the different team sizes. It will make the devs job easier and they can focus on balancing comp play without worrying too much about unforeseen balance issues that arise in other team sizes.

<!--quoteo(post=2022938:date=Nov 14 2012, 02:50 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Nov 14 2012, 02:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a sidenote: in NS1 spending patterns on larger versus smaller games was relatively the same. Medspam instead of being used on everyone was only used on crucial engagements. Plus there was only so much APM the comm could perform. In both comp and pub play all the res was sunk into upgrades ASAP (well, after the important stuff like buildings and a few shotties), and the rest went into support stuff. So it actually did all work out in the end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But it didn't work out in the end. The game was balanced around 6v6, everything else was left to its own devices. The lack of scale is one of the main reasons for most of the departures from NS1 to NS2.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2023018:date=Nov 14 2012, 10:27 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Nov 14 2012, 10:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->spending tres on ability was a way to 'res sink'.... however since its a res sink people dont use it until they have res to 'sink'... ie.. upgrades all done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats exactly the problem right now - which why having an energy pool would encourage commanders to use more commander abilties (apart from med spam....)