I have serious issues with mineshaft

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
All the games I've played on mineshaft have been so horrendously imbalanced, I almost don't want to even bother playing when the server changes to it. One or even two rooms being really big and open is acceptable, its almost a strategic choice of whether or not you want to try and expand there. However, in mineshaft, so many of the important rooms are so big and open. It isn't even really the openness that gets to me, since I think cargo is an ok hive room. The problem is the really long open stretches that aliens need to cover.

The far right entrance to cave is just abominable. It basically makes that hive room a lost cause. Trying to push on the repair hive is pointless, unless you also have operations. Operations is a joke, and can be fully defended by as few as 2 to 3 jetpackers, which makes attempting to outrush the unavoidable exo train impossible.

Does anybody else find this map to just be far too marine biased?

Comments

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's not really that marine biased, although the cavern corridor is indeed abominable, as well as the cave location. If you have a decent marine team or jetpacks or exos, you can wave cave hive goodbye. It's pretty bad.

However, with a combo of lerks and skulks you can delay cave's death enough to have a decent game most of the time.

Sorting is pretty essential to aliens, and deposit becomes a necessity if cave goes down.
  • RowenRowen Join Date: 2012-05-04 Member: 151545Members
    I find mineshaft frustrating as a marine because tracking greyish brown skulks on greyish brown rock walls with poor lighting is a nightmare.

From the alien side I don't find the openness of the rooms as irritating as the lack of real alternatives to go to places. Take Deposit, for example, the very common situation of having a hive in Sorting and a marine base in deposit. The shortest route means a long corridor easily coverable with an observatory. The alternative route implies going all the way to freaking Gap. Or if marines are attacking Cavern from Repair and have a gate at cave – there's not much of an option but again a frontal assault.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    I do not.
    the last 4 or 5 games I commanded were totally one sided.
    It is so easy for the Khaara to have 5 very early harvesters which are close.
    Followed by a hive drop afterwards (including a shift for egg support in sorting or in crusher)
    when you can hold that for 3 minutes you got enough res for every tactic you want.
    you can even have a 4min onos egg. When the hive builds without gorge support you have res for an upgrade and an onos afterwards (cele due to the early shift support)

I made the observation that you really need gorges in the beginning to hold areas effectively and your team needs to respond to threatend harvesters.

But I totally agree that operations is really hard to take down.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021883:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:03 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Nov 13 2012, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do not.
    the last 4 or 5 games I commanded were totally one sided.
    It is so easy for the Khaara to have 5 very early harvesters which are close.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In my most (or least) memorable game, I, as commander, took the 5 harvesters you are referring to, and more. I had a second hive by 3 minutes, and enough resources to drop an Onos by 4 (already having both shift and crag upgrades). Not trusting any of the people on my team (very small community, and I have 5x more playtime than anyone else who plays in my country). I nominated myself to take the Onos egg, so I did.

Well, I did absolutely nothing with that Onos. Why? The marines had occupied two key locations; repair and deposit. Neither of which can be assaulted by an Onos. Not one which wishes to remain alive, that is. Why not hit central drilling? We had central drilling. They didn't even bother to go for it. They did nothing, and had nothing, but they had 2 comm chairs, which means when they eventually got enough resources to get jetpacks, cave immediately fell 10 seconds thereafter. GG.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    It's easy for aliens to have 5 early RTs if marines are completely horrible. If marines spawn in repair aliens shouldn't have crushing or cavern. If marines spawn in operations, they have a good chance to deny sorting completely or phase to repair/cavern and harass crushing/cavern/cave.

The biggest problem with pub marine teams: too much camping. Marines can easily snipe RTs all over the map if they're decent players.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I think the large rooms give aliens a bigger advantage than marines. There's plenty of opportunity for skulks, lerks and fades to take advantage of the high ceilings and win the game before jetpacks arrive. I much prefer it as aliens to somewhere like Docking.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    i think the bottom line is that it's almost impossible to flank in every room on that map. if marines are on the left in refinery transfer or the gap, your only chance to flank is to go through the marine spawn, if you want to flank...

if you take note of other maps, specifically the ones used in comp matches, there's a decent flanking route in almost every 'significant' room.

if marines have refinery and are pushing the crushing machine hive, almost all of your 'pub' players will just rush head-on into the marines and die, and to be fair to them it's because you have to run all the way back to caverns to double back and flank around through brew room.

just add a few more vents and it will be okay - at least one in repair room and a couple around refinery transfer. there's a really cool giant vent with giant fan in central drilling... just add another piece like that in the areas that need additional flanking routes imo.

i do like the map, but i fear it will never be a competitive/balanced map until it's flank-able.
    <!--quoteo(post=2021894:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:20 PM:name=Desther)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Desther @ Nov 13 2012, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021894"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the large rooms give aliens a bigger advantage than marines. There's plenty of opportunity for skulks, lerks and fades to take advantage of the high ceilings and win the game before jetpacks arrive. I much prefer it as aliens to somewhere like Docking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that, if the aliens win by 6 or 7 minutes, its fair game. However, after that point, when high levels of weapons and armor appear, and exos and jetpacks are out, skulks and fades essentially lose the ability to win games. By that stage, you are going to win with at least one Onos, or not at all. And those open rooms do absolutely nothing for the Onos.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    There are many problems with all the popular NS2 maps. It took quite a while for the NS1 mapping scene to match the player skill in the game, and NS2 is in the same place as early NS1 right now. Starcraft and Starcraft 2 also experienced the same problems. I distinctly remember the point at which we realized siege ranges needed to be a certain distance in NS, and ARCs are REALLY poorly understood right now in NS2.

I fully expect every official NS2 map to be thrown out or significantly updated 1 year from now. But in the mean time, let me just say that discovering imbalances right now is not remotely surprising.

Personally I don't like mineshaft simply because the macro-map doesn't clearly communicate the access paths as much as it does on every other map...
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Mineshaft has always been terribly imbalanced. Even now that they moved repair further away so marines don't start with three tech points, the rest of the map remains a cluster**** of long, open halls. Whoever designed that map has obviously never played aliens.

Refinery is also a joke, but that's a subject for another thread.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021932:date=Nov 13 2012, 11:00 AM:name=Kallistrate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kallistrate @ Nov 13 2012, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Mineshaft has always been terribly imbalanced. Even now that they moved repair further away so marines don't start with three tech points, the rest of the map remains a cluster**** of long, open halls. Whoever designed that map has obviously never played aliens.

Refinery is also a joke, but that's a subject for another thread.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you should give props to map makers for trying a unique style though... more specifically the caverns etc instead of the 'space station' brush which is basically every other map.

it could use some work, but imo mineshaft is a really awesome-looking map.

refinery would be pretty nice too if only there was some kind of easy-access elevated platform for aliens to use as cover in lava falls. at the moment the marines basically get a free double RT.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2021939:date=Nov 13 2012, 09:13 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 13 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you should give props to map makers for trying a unique style though... more specifically the caverns etc instead of the 'space station' brush which is basically every other map.

it could use some work, but imo mineshaft is a really awesome-looking map.

refinery would be pretty nice too if only there was some kind of easy-access elevated platform for aliens to use as cover in lava falls. at the moment the marines basically get a free double RT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->It's actually a "mining operation/refinery" brush set for all current maps. They're meant to be part of one giant complex. There is a new map style coming soon in the form of ns2_descent, which is a spaceship.

And yes those maps are visually quite nice but the mappers need to play more often, preferably as aliens, to better understand the need for cover.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Mineshaft is a brilliant map visually, and in a lot of cases, game play wise. I just think that overall the size of rooms either needs to be toned down, or overly long corridors need to be broken up by obstacles. It is also true that this exact "problem" has always existed in NS, almost entirely due to jetpackers, who are far more alien like in terms of gameplay than marine like. I mean, who remembers viaduct in ns_nothing? They even put a damn landing pad for jetpackers at the top of that hive. Was still one of my favourite maps though.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I feel it has gotten a lot better recently.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I actually rarely ever lose on mineshaft as aliens. I mean really if you can hold deposit and sorting, or Sorting and cave you have 5 rt's. Sorting, caverns, crusher, cave, I can't remember the one between sorting and cave but that one. 5 rt's for aliens is a ton and they're very close to the hive so it's stupid easy to defend them. After you get 2 hives you can pop out onos eggs almost every minute.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    Most of the best games (well, most intense/pitched games) I've seen were on Mineshaft... armies of exos battling armies of oni. The RTs are spread out so it's difficult for one team to get a clear resource advantage. And really, most of the maps aren't very good anyways. Obviously refinery is a complete joke, tram is awful, docking is ok/awful depending upon whom you ask, veil is veil, I think summit is pretty awful for marines.