the 'unfinished' animations

tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">are they still on the agenda?</div>note: this issue is very nitpicky and isn't exactly eating away at me, however it would be nice to one day see them 'fit' better and match the other animations.

i find that for the most part the game is so immersive with neat animations - the RTs, armory, reloading most weapons, infestation, alien structures etc that it does slightly irk me when you see some of the short cuts in action. obviously i understand that they were probably bumped down the agenda to accomodate more important issues, which is fair enough, but i would still appreciate them being fixed at some stage.

<ul><li>ladder ascending/descending</li><li>flamethrower reload</li><li>grenade launcher projectile (looks a bit stiff)</li><li>ARC treads</li><li>lerk spikes (i guess this would work if it was just a little 'puff' of gas, at the moment the only animation is the spike vanishing in 1 frame then coming back a few frames later)</li><li>switch axe swing in third person (it's both cute and awkward)</li><li>pistol in third person (seems to be held in a slightly awkward position like the marine has a prosthetic arm)</li></ul>

i could have missed some, and like i said they're very niggly, but i'm the type of person that would go WOW ARC TREADS ARE MOVING!!!! instead of seeing the ARC treads locked and the ARC just sliding around on the back of a billion 'ant' nanobots.

Comments

• ApocalipsusApocalipsus Join Date: 2003-10-21 Member: 21838Members
    The axe (marine melee weapon) atack animation from "outiside" seems a bit awkward
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020708:date=Nov 12 2012, 01:08 PM:name=Apocalipsus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Apocalipsus @ Nov 12 2012, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The axe (marine melee weapon) atack animation from "outiside" seems a bit awkward<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol yeah... maybe i should add to my list.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The jump is weird looking and ignores direction of movement, torso interacts oddly with the legs, arms warp out of shape when reloading, the marine body is too light so the ragdoll tends to float through the air, there's no climbing animation 1st or 3rd person which<i> really</i> dates the game,

We really don't have to tell UW about this it's such an obvious thing. But it's important they know it's an issue some players really notice and care about. I've seen people new to the game comment about poor animations in youtube videos and on gaming websites.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Alien animations like running on walls and ceilings needs to be brushed up too looks kind of odd.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    I like the third person switch-axe. It feels like the marine is shouting at me, "HAVE AT YOU!"

Which is great because they all have moustaches.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    All that can wait until performance is improved IMO.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2012
    They have a ton of awesome taunt & idle animations that are already finished lying unused, you can add that to the OP as well.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2012
    i think they discarded the lot of them thinking people who make videos, like me, can use them :3

EDIT

<!--quoteo(post=2034676:date=Nov 26 2012, 12:34 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Nov 26 2012, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All that can wait until performance is improved IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then what's cory and... chops i think it was gunna do? Sit around looking beautiful whilst everyone takes lunch orders and does all the hard work? no. more artworks will come, more awesome aminations will come. etc etc. you get the point.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2034679:date=Nov 25 2012, 08:36 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Nov 25 2012, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They have a ton of awesome taunt & idle animations that are already finished lying unused, you can add that to the OP as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where did you get this information
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2035283:date=Nov 26 2012, 03:14 PM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Nov 26 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035283"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where did you get this information<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can view them in the Model viewer in the list of animations. (viewer.exe in your NS2 folder)