[Bug?] Phase tech is available without an armory.

HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Not a big deal, and correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently you can start phase tech research and then recycle your armory in the base, and you still have phase gates.

So much for forcing marines to build a second structure to delay the PG rush. With the recycle giving 8 back from the 10, the net cost for PG is still 32, and the only thing the armory causes is a small delay.

Phase gates shouldn't be able to be built without at least 1 armory present.

Comments

• ShrimmShrimm Join Date: 2012-10-05 Member: 161652Members
    edited November 2012
    Nit pick much?

I don't see any reason to recycle your armory after the obs is built... you're just gonna have to rebuild it soon anyway. plus you lose two res, if you're trying to be optimal sacrificing res for no reason isn't the way to do it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems fine to me. Its only 10 res. It is not like its uber expensive. What use would this strategy do for us?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Obs/PG was available without an armory in the beta. The whole point of adding the armory was to attempt to delay PG. Right now, that "delay" is pretty much negated by being able to recycle the armory.

Like I said, not a big deal at all, just an unfortunate side-effect of being able to recycle. Similar to the unfortunate side-effects of running around the corner as an onos with 100HP and evolving back to skulk with hypermutation to refund 75 (which is kinda why it was pulled).
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021118:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:59 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 12 2012, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obs/PG was available without an armory in the beta. The whole point of adding the armory was to attempt to delay PG. Right now, that "delay" is pretty much negated by being able to recycle the armory.

Like I said, not a big deal at all, just an unfortunate side-effect of being able to recycle. Similar to the unfortunate side-effects of running around the corner as an onos with 100HP and evolving back to skulk with hypermutation to refund 75 (which is kinda why it was pulled).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see what the point of that is though. An armory is a 100% required building and having it out sooner is a lot better than putting it out later.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    It's actually not essential early game, and before the change many commanders delayed armories quite a bit.

Marines' essence is to expand fast and be very aggressive early game, so having an armory in the base provides little to no benefit. It's usually much more efficient to just push hard, die, and respawn early game, than to defend the base.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having to build the armory first does delay the start of the research, which is the whole point. I don't see why recyling it afterwards for an all-in push is that big a deal. If that's the best strategy 100% of the time then something else is wrong.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2021185:date=Nov 12 2012, 02:02 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 12 2012, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's actually not essential early game, and before the change many commanders delayed armories quite a bit.

Marines' essence is to expand fast and be very aggressive early game, so having an armory in the base provides little to no benefit. It's usually much more efficient to just push hard, die, and respawn early game, than to defend the base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's also about getting equipment like SG's, Mines, and Welders. Which help very much in expanding.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>HeatSurge:</b></u>

You can also setup Infantry Portals across the map and recycle the chair

There's nothing weird going on
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I'm against changing this.

Phase gates require observatories, not armories. Armories direct weapon upgrades, not anything else. If the armory goes down should that mean you can't scan or beacon too? If the armory goes down should all arms lab upgrades disappear (along with the ability to research upgrades) because an armory is required to build it?
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    edited November 2012
    It doesn't matter tho because when ever you get phase gates you always get mines. If your not your doing it wrong.
    <!--quoteo(post=2021244:date=Nov 12 2012, 02:34 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Nov 12 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>HeatSurge:</b></u>

You can also setup Infantry Portals across the map and recycle the chair

There's nothing weird going on<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh yeah, that's another thing, thanks for bringing that up. I always found it a bit ridiculous that IPs work without a chair. The IPs should not be functional if the chair is destroyed or recycled IMO. That's like continuing to spawn eggs at a destroyed hive location.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2021293:date=Nov 12 2012, 06:16 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 12 2012, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh yeah, that's another thing, thanks for bringing that up. I always found it a bit ridiculous that IPs work without a chair. The IPs should not be functional if the chair is destroyed or recycled IMO. That's like continuing to spawn eggs at a destroyed hive location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So if the aliens destroy the armory or the obs, should all the phase gates in the map shut down? Maybe destroying the armory should also power down the arms lab which in turn turns off upgrades?
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021196:date=Nov 12 2012, 02:08 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 12 2012, 02:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having to build the armory first does delay the start of the research, which is the whole point. I don't see why recyling it afterwards for an all-in push is that big a deal. If that's the best strategy 100% of the time then something else is wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank god Marines aren't Aliens and aren't constricted by the same limitations.

The implication is the Infantry Portal's are a one way phase from wherever the additional marines are stationed. The hive itself spawns eggs at location to evolve more lifeforms. The logic is completely fine.

Furthermore, the armories mere existence as part of the Phase Gate tech chain is enough to slow down the build time for PGs, recycling it is a moot point. The res gained from the recycle is offset by an eventual need for an armory at that stage of the game anyways.

People developed vacuum tubes which helped lead to computers, but you don't see me being unable to use my cellphone because the fundamental technology is gone.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021301:date=Nov 12 2012, 03:27 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 12 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if the aliens destroy the armory or the obs, should all the phase gates in the map shut down? Maybe destroying the armory should also power down the arms lab which in turn turns off upgrades?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe it should. It might elevate the importance of keeping an obs up on the map even more than it is now though, so it might get too annoying with constant obs rushes and obs' little health, and that might need some thought - but shutting down buildings such as the arms lab dependent on an armory is totally fine. Usually marines have more than 1 (usually 3, one in base and 2 on each attacking end) armories all over the map, so I can't see that being a problem.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea of active tech, if you lose the structure that researched the technology, the tech should go away. It could be a way to control the current Marine tech explosion.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2021311:date=Nov 12 2012, 03:36 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 12 2012, 03:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe it should. It might elevate the importance of keeping an obs up on the map even more than it is now though, so it might get too annoying with constant obs rushes and obs' little health, and that might need some thought - but shutting down buildings such as the arms lab dependent on an armory is totally fine. Usually marines have more than 1 (usually 3, one in base and 2 on each attacking end) armories all over the map, so I can't see that being a problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seriously? People complain about the power nodes being too important as is.