Map

nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Needs improving!</div>The map needs improving. It isn't accurate enough and I find myself running into stuff (especially on aliens because I have to have the map fullscreen) because it doesn't display the objects contained within the map, and I'm not just talking about the ones placed by the commander. It should show the objects in the map and should display height in some way; perhaps using different shades, so that it is easy to navigate - that is its purpose, isn't it?

As for the map on the HUD of the marines (which should also be available for the aliens), at the size it is at the moment is isn't very helpful since it lacks detail. Either it should have increased detail, like I mentioned above, or it should show the entire map with little detail so that it is at least useful in showing you where you are with respect to the rest of the map. Alternatively there could be an option for the player to toggle between a detailed, up-close view and an overview of the entire map.

Comments

• Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    If you are using the map so much that you are running into objects in the middle of rooms without realizing that they're there, then you're using the map too much. The primary purpose of the "maxi" map isn't to navigate through the levels, it's to see where the action is and what structures are under attack at the time.

There's a better way to know where objects are in a room and that is to look at what's in front of you, rather than stare at the map while running around. More importantly, you learn your way around the maps better when you are paying attention to where you are going, so you should try to use the map as sparingly as possible, and only for reference, and soon you will only use it for seeing where enemies are.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    edited November 2012
    As someone who is new to the game, and as someone who doesn't play very frequently, a decent map would be very useful. Many of the corridors look very similar, and a wrong turn in NS2 can result in death very quickly so it is very important that people know where they are and where to go. The map in Metal Gear Solid and in CS:S is excellent and I think should have its place in NS2. I do try looking at the map and memorising the route, but the way the map looks and the way the actual level looks can be very different and thus confusing. For example, on the map it may show what looks like a continuous path, but is actually a staircase that curves round - hence the need to show height.